arlo

ELSINORE FIRE: EMAIL FROM THE ELSINORE DZO

got this from john hamilton (DZO) this morning and it's been posted here with his okay:

=======================
Skydive Elsinore sustains loss.

1/18/04

At approximately 2:30am Sunday; Skydive Elsinore’s school packing room, equipment storage, video dubbing, and instructor room caught fire which resulted in the complete loss of the trailer and all it’s contents.

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined, and is currently under investigation.

The drop zone will remain open for business as usual, as we are forging ahead in an effort to rebuild the school as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your support,

John Hamilton
DZO
[email protected]
tel: 909-245-9939
www.skydiveelsinore.com

============================

i think setting up a paypal account to help these guys out would be a really good thing to do. i know dick about paypal. they still have to figure out what is lost, but everyone that wants to help but is not sure how, kicking in $5 or $10 to a "fund" would be a great start. i don't know about you guys, but i feel pretty helpless in FL regarding this situation and i have some friends that are on staff out there. anything i can do to help - i'm gonna do.

arlo

p.s. sorry for starting an additional thread, but i thought this might need one.

I'd gladly help set one up if you need a hand, and start it off with something.. but imo it's probably more appropriate if someone involved in the running of Elsinore had the account, then they could associate it with their bank account and transfer the funds straight over.

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

that's what i was thinking as well. once they get their heads wrapped around what's going on, then he'll be in touch about the paypal info.

thanks for the offer of help. right now, i think it's good to get the info out there and do a little brainstorming here. :)

a

We are working on a paypal account right now, and it should be up and running.

As to the specific ones for the instructors, maybe we can set one up under Ed's name?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Don't forget, they lost all their student and tandem rigs in the blaze. They are also looking for anyone that may have any avail tandem or student rigs for sale (or loan).

I know Nancy at Carolina Sky Sports is going to call and offer any help they can give. See if your local DZ can give a helping hand as well.

I'm not sure what the status is with our DZ but we were looking into getting some new mains and if all goes, we'll have about 9 Manta 288's for sale as well as some reserves. I'm outta the country so I can't say for sure.

keep me informed about the paypal as I'd be more than willing to help out as well. I'm planning on trying to make a living this semester off of webdesign and skydiving (instructor, coach, video) so I can only imagine what a huge loss this has been to all.

blue skies and keep me posted

Chris
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Setting up the paypal with Elsinore's bank account would probably not be the best idea, simply because the business would then have to declare that as income and pay taxes on it. It might work better if donations went directly to the instructors and DZO instead of through the DZ's bank account, just for tax reasons.

That fucking kicks ass!

You guys rock! And so does everyone we see gathering to rally behind us!

It reminds me of an interview I did for some wuffo publication many years ago.

Many of us start skydiving because it is exciting. That fear and adrenalin fades a little as we put the plane behind us a few hundred times. The small empty space left behind is bursting at the seams with the friendships we build.

Nights around the campfire, dinner in town, drinks with people sharing a common interest build up to more than just a sport... then to more than a lifestyle... you become this huge, international family. Egos clash from time-to-time; misunderstandings happen; rumors run amok; friendships grow and fade; and sometimes we lose one of our own.

Always, always through it all... We are family.

Blue Skies,
Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Many of us start skydiving because it is exciting. That fear and adrenalin fades a little as we put the plane behind us a few hundred times. The small empty space left behind is bursting at the seams with the friendships we build.

Nights around the campfire, dinner in town, drinks with people sharing a common interest build up to more than just a sport... then to more than a lifestyle... you become this huge, international family.

Always, always through it all... We are family.

Ed,

So true. I did my AFF-2 and 3 jumps, and hung around the Elsinore DZ until beer time. I was just a beginner, but they put a beer in my hand and had me tell my stories of life in AFF land around the campfire. We laughed, and if you read my AFF adventures in Safety and Training, you know I landed off on AFF-2. My reserve JM who made the spot, asked me the first thing I thought when I opened, looked down at hostile territory, and how I liked the spot.

Because of the beer and camaraderie, I answered honestly. "I'm not sure who, but someone's getting an ass-whupping after I get mine on the ground!" That was a brash statement, I realize, but everyone that heard it laughed. I've never seen any problem with the sky-god syndrome, or ego clashes. And for me to be able to rib a bit about a spot to one of my JMs shows a healthy measure of self deprecation.

But back to the point, I'm coming up tomorrow and will do what I can to help out with work and financial assistance. Maybe I can help get a rig, or maybe spotting lessons for my AFF-2 Reserve JM ;) Sorry. Is it too soon for humor?

Even with just 8 jumps, you have given me, taught me, and helped me experience so much that whatever I can do is limited by finances as opposed to heart. All my best to all of you at Elsinore!

Bob
AFF-6 Exit Freestyle Champion, 2004
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

Nights around the campfire, dinner in town, drinks with people sharing a common interest build up to more than just a sport... then to more than a lifestyle... you become this huge, international family. Egos clash from time-to-time; misunderstandings happen; rumors run amok; friendships grow and fade; and sometimes we lose one of our own.

Ed, this is so true. . .I am recalling the night I graduated AFF (January 10, 2004) and how the beer flowed and we all just had a great time. . .I was playing barmaid that night and having a great time. This Elsinore family. . .all of you are my family. So many times I have been there before I started jumping. Even then as a whuffo, everyone was just great. . .I am saddened by this tragedy but my heart smiles at the outpouring of help from this small community we call skydiving. . .and I am proud to be counted among them. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Ed, this is so true. . .I am recalling the night I graduated AFF (January 10, 2004) and how the beer flowed and we all just had a great time. . .I was playing barmaid that night and having a great time. This Elsinore family. . .all of you are my family. So many times I have been there before I started jumping. Even then as a whuffo, everyone was just great. . .I am saddened by this tragedy but my heart smiles at the outpouring of help from this small community we call skydiving. . .and I am proud to be counted among them. . .

Well put, skyyhi! My sentiments exactly! I, too, am proud, and everyone, even if they had 13,000+ jumps, made me feel like I was their best friend and an asset to the sport. Plus I am now the World Champion AFF-6 Freestyle Exit man!

Bob
World Champion
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman