HoldtheIce

Question: 2- pin AAD

Yes. You need 2 cutters for rigs with 2 reserve pins.

The Racer is the only 2-pin rig that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure that someone will add in any others that are out there.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I used to have a Racer and therefore I had a 2 pin Cypres. When I retired the Racer there was no problem using the AAD with 1 cutter stashed away, or if you got keen I guess you could use both cutters on 1 closing loop.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

if you got keen I guess you could use both cutters on 1 closing loop.

Would love to hear a rigger's opinion on this.

I too, have a 2-pin cutter on a 1-pin container, with one of the cutters safely tucked away.

As for putting two cutters on one closing loop, if they fire slightly out of sequence, you could be looking at a similar pinching effect to that that was hypothesized in the recent Argus Fatality in Poland due to the lack of tension on the closing loop?

Or am I talking bullshit?

if you got keen I guess you could use both cutters on 1 closing loop.

Would love to hear a rigger's opinion on this.

I too, have a 2-pin cutter on a 1-pin container, with one of the cutters safely tucked away.

As for putting two cutters on one closing loop, if they fire slightly out of sequence, you could be looking at a similar pinching effect to that that was hypothesized in the recent Argus Fatality in Poland due to the lack of tension on the closing loop?

Or am I talking bullshit?

I think it would completely defeat the purpose if the top cutter just pinches the loop.

Besides, where are you going to find a rigger to pack it like that?

BTW: The Eagle container has 2 pins as well. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>As for putting two cutters on one closing loop, if they fire slightly out of
>sequence, you could be looking at a similar pinching effect to that that
>was hypothesized in the recent Argus Fatality in Poland due to the lack of
>tension on the closing loop?

They'd have to fire significantly (>100ms) out of sync to have that be an issue - and even then you'd only see a decrease in tension as the reserve spring squirted out; you wouldn't see a complete loss of tension. (Of course you might also get a really cruddy launch, but you have the same problem if you pull the handle slowly.)

They'd have to fire significantly (>100ms) out of sync to have that be an issue - and even then you'd only see a decrease in tension as the reserve spring squirted out; you wouldn't see a complete loss of tension. (Of course you might also get a really cruddy launch, but you have the same problem if you pull the handle slowly.)

Thanks! Top answer ;)

Thanks! Top answer ;)

But timing of firing might not be the only issue.

Two cutters on one closing loop means something is somewhere it was never intended to be.

Using 2 cutters on a rig where 1 was intended means you are a test pilot.

Do you really want to be there?

Get the AAD modified to be 1 cutter.

But timing of firing might not be the only issue.

Two cutters on one closing loop means something is somewhere it was never intended to be.

Using 2 cutters on a rig where 1 was intended means you are a test pilot.

Do you really want to be there?

Get the AAD modified to be 1 cutter.

The two cutters on one loop was a hypothetical.

My second cutter is neatly tucked away. Would you apply the same ethos to that?

I know its very easy to say "yes, I would" and "never jump it". In fact, I've been reading what you write for a long time now, and I genuinely believe that you would indeed send it to be changed over.

But I need a rig online, and it saves me 3 weeks @ 8 jumps per weekend @ £10 per jump kit hire (~$380) is it not worth waiting until my next reserve repack, at the end of the season (it gets too cold to jump in the UK)?

I had a fairly long conversation with my rigger (who I am delighted to have the opportunity to trust my life to), and his reaction was effectively that waiting until the next service would be a more effective use of my money.

I suppose its the "potential risk & cost of my life" vs. the "cost of proper maintenance" argument.

Maybe I don't appreciate enough that this sport can kill me. Perhaps I've entered that classic "Oh, it'll be fine, what's the worst that can happen" phase.

Perhaps I need a slap to remind me of the dangers involved.

One of my favorite sayings within skydiving is as follows:

"This sport is perfectly safe, as long as you remember just how f*cking dangerous it is".

Hey, I'm going to pop my reserve the next time I'm at the DZ, and get my rigger to change the cutters over.

I was ONLY responding to the two cutter on one loop thought.

Tucking the second cutter away, as long as it really cannot interfere with anything, seems fine to me.

It might be that the best place to tuck it would be in the pouch with the processing unit.

I cannot think of anything it could do bad in there. If somebody else can, chime in please.

I just figure that sitting there passively, the cutter can do no harm.

If the AAD fires, maybe it could damage something, but then, the AAD has already fired.

Now, I've never actually seen and handled a 2-pin AAD. I don't pack many Racers, and the ones I have didn't have AADs.

I don't know what the cutter cable actually looks like. Can the second cutter be stowed in the processing unit pocket without adversely affecting the other cutter? (If the "Y" in the cable is too near the cutters, maybe it cannot be placed that far away.)