ChileRelleno

I hate seeing this crap, we all know the risk.

I have seen a reserve open so hard that it broke lines. Sounded like a gun shot. The guy spiralled in. When we got to him, he had a severely displaced ankle and was coughing up blood. I held his hand while he was slowly bleeding to death from a torn aorta. I really didn't think he would die, but we got word from the hospital later that night.

It should be mentioned that the person in this scenario had been doing over 250 mph shortly before deploying his reserve.

Not saying manufacturers have made all the right choices, but bottom line is in my eyes each individual makes choices.

What you put on your back is YOUR choice, when and wear you get out is YOUR choice, what occurs is because of YOUR choices.

I definately do not respect the position of the individual who allowed this lawsuit to occur.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You guys amaze me, really. I'm not going to sit here and argue with any of you. Like I said, until you spend a day in the life of this guy, I don't wanna hear it.

Calm down.

... if one of you guys are laid up with 50 broken bones because some manufacturer did a half ass job of attaching lines to a RESERVE (read: LAST RESORT) canopy...

Nowhere in the original report posted does it say anything about what failuer mode was experienced. Parachut deplyments are a dynamic and TOTALY unpredictable thing. They never do the same thing twice.

Firing past a P/C in tow is dicey at best. high speed fabric to fabric contact can do some truly amazingly distructive things.

And who is to say the person injured was within the design limits of the parachute? People have been know to freak out and loose stability when presented with a malfunction.

Point is we don't have that kind of information.

Basic point is, when you get out of the plane you had better have the idea that you are completely and totaly the responsible person for the actions and events to follow.

If you don't have that in hand, try golf.

It's shit like this that is making skydiving more and more prohibitive to the public over time.....

Or it's the public that is prohibiting skydiving more and more of the time.

Two years ago, during a hook turn, my finger got stuck in the front riser stitching. If I would have died in that monstrosity of a landing, everyone would have just stated that I hooked it in without flare. So there could be a good bit of truth to the above statement.

And in the end who was responsible for that? The riser manufacturer? The person who sold you the risers? The guys you talked to about hookturns long before you owned the canopy? Your instructors?

I think you'll agree that no one other than yourself can be held responsible for that accident other than yourelf.

This is the same situation.

Four people are dead because of the -Ms construction issue covered under the service bulletin.

I'm no fan of the affected Dash M reserve but prove your statemet.

You can't.

Let's check out another one- the Crossfire. Someone had to die before Icarus said 'Ya know, perhaps that canopy collapse issue that's being talked about is real after all. We'd better fix that nose problem.'

Again, prove the fatality was a direct cause of the design.

You can't.

People have died unde every canopy made.

Get real dude. I hear golf is nice.

My personal philosophy is that you have to be totally responsible for you own actions or you'll never get to bed at night. Until you claim your actions for yourself, trying to pass blame becomes ever more unhealthy and unproductive.

I've preached this since the accident.

It's also how you were raised. When I was 1 my parents had absolutely nothing to their name. The apartment complex next to theirs blew up (gas line) and everyone sued.

My parents didn't sue (even though they lost everything in the apartment), and used the event as a stepping stone to buy their first house. Now they are worth alot of money, the old fashioned way...work.

Again, to each their own. Some choose to live in houses, some choose to live in trailers.

The reserve in question had lost the attachments on the right side of the canopy. The only thing left was A-D on the far right edge. Two lines were broken and several of the tapes were pulled out. Er- was it just A's and B's that were gone? Memory is a little fuzzy. Jim was a belly flyer and no I don't know his exit weight. The canopy was hanging up in the hangar in the DZ.

Would I have filed this lawsuit? No, but I don't buy PA's position that they didn't have any knowledge about this weakness back in '99. My point all along is that they could have headed this off in '99 when they changed the manufacture. People have died in every type of car made as well, but you don't just change the manufacture to fix a flaw and keep quiet about it.

It's become pretty clear that this has been beat to death. People have their position on the issue and it's unlikely that anything is going to be changed by this thread.

I'm just saying it helps. There was noone to sue, and I don't jump unless I have full coverage insurance. Trying to hypothethical a jump without insurance is impossible becuase it would never happen, jumping is not that important.

Very good point, I won't jump if I don't have coverage. Where can I find information on getting insurance that would cover skydiving.

Give your local Blue Cross office a call. Be honest with them about your activities and if you are still wary ask for a written statement.

I had a catastrophic policy when I was post-grad school and asked about coverage in tiny airplanes. I was told as long I wasn't running from the cops or in the plane dropping bombs they were fine.

ruin fun are you kidding me. this is my friend he never asked for any money. All he wanted was for someone to call him and apologise. If you remember, there was a recall on the dash -m straight after this incident. they even said it was faulty, this is a reserve which should of been double stitched. Jim almost died due to this. And you sit there and try and make him feel guilty. Get a life and find out the facts before you start critisizing!!!!
http://www.skydivethefarm.com
don't sweat the small stuff, in fact don't sweat at all,, you get smelly!!

ORFUN #2

Yes there was a flaw in the parachute. The even recalled it. They knew there was a problem but neglected to inform anyone. Another incident of this happened out west but i believe the guy was ok.

ORFUN #2

Yes he kisses the ground everytime he gets up. he's in constant pain has numerous rods in his body. Will never skydive again all for a faulty reserve and everyone on here is bitching and whinning trying to make out that its his fault. Yes we are all in a sport that is high risk. we put our life on the line evertime we leave the plane. But i think i can say, we all count on our reserves. When we have one that was manufactured wrong and a friend is seriously injured do we just sit back and go oh well. If thats the case then a lot of you don't have close friends!!!!!

ORFUN #2

Yes there was a flaw in the parachute. The even recalled it. They knew there was a problem but neglected to inform anyone.

How is something recalled if no one is told about it?

Suing is not the answer to all lifes problems, and not this one.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

this is the first inteligent reply ive seen on here. Your right the lawsuit of 53.7 is ridiculous but rubio didn't ask for this he just wanted medical bills. precision never never got in touch with rubio. And for all you dumb asses out there if you know rubio then you'd realize that this case isn't about money

ORFUN #2