JohnRich

Slave Reparations

From Fox News:

A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit brought by descendants of slaves against corporations they say profited from slavery, saying the plaintiffs had established no clear link to the companies they targeted.

"Plaintiffs' attempt to bring these claims more than a century after the end of the Civil War and the formal abolition of slavery fails," U.S. District Judge Charles R. Norgle said.

He said the plaintiffs' claims "are beyond the constitutional authority of this court." And he said the suit alleged no specific connection between the plaintiffs and the companies named as defendants.

The suit names companies like the Lehman Brothers brokerage firm, Aetna Insurance and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco, saying they or their corporate ancestors made money off slavery. Lawsuits filed around the country seeking reparations for slavery have been combined into a single court action.

In his opinion, Norgle acknowledged "the historic injustices and the immorality of the institution of human chattel slavery in the United States." But he said longstanding doctrine in matters involving political questions "bars the court from deciding the issue of slavery reparations, an issue that has been historically and constitutionally committed to the legislative and executive branches of our government."

As for the timing, he said the plaintiffs had failed to show how the wrongs cited in the lawsuit fall within the statute of limitations.

Full Story Here

Bwwwwaaaaahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!

Score one for the good guys. Liberals everywhere must be going into convulsions over this! Can't wait to hear some jewels of wisdom from leftist talking heads on this!

I'm actually saddened the judge didn't throw it out as a frivolous lawsuit and suggest sanctions under bar rule # 11 against the plaintiff attorneys. Or better still - order the plaintiffs to pay ALL of the legal costs incurred by the defense.

Perhaps now this inanity will cease. Doubt it, but perhaps....
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Perhaps now this inanity will cease.

From the story:

"But the ruling dismissed the case "without prejudice," meaning the slave descendants seeking reparations from U.S. companies are allowed to file an amended complaint. Lionel Jean-Baptiste, a lawyer representing two women who are descendants of slaves, said he expected to do exactly that."

Hey, back in the 17th century the English took my ancestors' land in Ireland. I demand reparations. :P

OK, all the brits on this website have to mail me jumptickets, or I'll sue.

They took yours too??!!:P;)

Stole my Great, Great, Great Grandpappys land too. Think we should all get together and file a class action suit?:ph34r:

Hey I want reparations. The damned English butchered my family on both the Irish side and the Scottish side...

And then there is the whole thing about my great grandmother being a Seminole... I want reparations for the genocide that was visted on the aboriginal peoples on this continent.

Oh the horror of it all

Score one for the good guys. Liberals everywhere must be going into convulsions over this! Can't wait to hear some jewels of wisdom from leftist talking heads on this!

I don't know a single liberal who thought slave reparations were fair. Give me a break.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I don't know a single liberal who thought slave reparations were fair. Give me a break.

Errr...... ever heard of the NAACP? About as Liberal as they come.

Vinnie:

Rule 11 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure would probably be inappropriate in this instance. Under Rule 11(b)(2), an attorney presenting a paper to the court represents that "the claims, defenses, and other legal contentions therein are warranted by existing law or by a nonfrivolous argument for the extension, modification, or reversal of existing law or establishment of new law."

The judge indicated that this is a "Political Question." This is one of four factors that prevent a federal court from hearing a matter. Matters dealing with "political questions" are non-justiciable - that is, the court cannot hear it.

Also, on the matter of dismissal without prejudice, it is common for courts to give second, third, fourth, etc., chances to plaintiffs to state a claim for which relief can be granted. Plaintiffs' counsel will amend the complaint within the next three weeks, file it, and we'll go through this process again.

I don't find this dismissal to be such a big deal legally. Politically, yeah, it's a big thing.

That's why the court stayed out of it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hey, back in the 17th century the English took my ancestors' land in Ireland. I demand reparations. :P

OK, all the brits on this website have to mail me jumptickets, or I'll sue.

They took yours too??!!:P;)

Stole my Great, Great, Great Grandpappys land too. Think we should all get together and file a class action suit?:ph34r:

Expect a countersuit about all the tea in Boston harbor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i agree the lawsuit was/is futile.

but, wow, making light of 400 years of inhumanity? that doesn't make me laugh.

How is informing a poster the NAACP is liberal making light of inhumanity?

it isn't. this is:Re: [Gravitymaster] Slave Reparations [In reply to]
namaste, motherfucker.

i gernally fall into the 'liberal' category when it comes to arguments on dz.com, but then the 'conservative' contingent here see to fall slightly to the right of pat buchanan. But i digress.

Even given my tree-hugging hippie status on these boards, i still think the whole slave reparations idea is one of the most assinine lawsuits i've heard of in a long time. If these people put half the energy they're spening on this lawsuit into helping and destitute slave descendants get educated and emplyed rather than looking for a handout for a bogus charge.

(edited to add)

oh yeah, and slavery sucked, it never should have happened to anyone.... but i never owned a slave, and i bet none of the current officers, stock holders, or employees of those companied did either. How on earth are they responsible for the actions of their ancestors?

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

ever heard of the NAACP? About as Liberal as they come.

I found the attached poll on the NAACP web site:

71% don't think the issue of reparations for slavery even needs to be studied, but 26% think that it should. So even the large majority of blacks seem to think that this idea has no merit.

I'm unable to find any kind of organization policy statement on the issue.

The only mention that appears in the search feature is this:

"Some of the resolutions adopted included... contacting the White House and the State Department to actively participate in the United Nations World Conference on Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and Reparations."

Oh great, now the U.N. wants in on the action. Just one more reason to kick the U.N. out of America.

And it's interesting that they would pass this resolution, despite the fact that their own poll indicates 71% of their members don't think it should be an issue...

Oh great, now the U.N. wants in on the action.

Here's some stuff from the U.N.:

"The Abuja Proclamation observed that the damage caused by slavery, colonialism and neo-colonialism 'is not a thing of the past, but is painfully manifest in the damaged lives of contemporary Africans from Harlem to Harare, in the damaged economies of the black world from Guinea to Guyana, from Somalia to Suriname.' It argued that a moral debt is owed to African peoples and called for 'full monetary payment ... through capital transfer and debt cancellation.'"

Read it, and gag:
Africa Recovery

Some of my ancestors fought in the Civil War to free America's slaves. I wonder if this would exempt me, as their descendant, from having to pay a UN "slave reparations tax"?

ever heard of the NAACP? About as Liberal as they come.

I found the attached poll on the NAACP web site:

71% don't think the issue of reparations for slavery even needs to be studied, but 26% think that it should. So even the large majority of blacks seem to think that this idea has no merit.

I'm unable to find any kind of organization policy statement on the issue.

The only mention that appears in the search feature is this:

"Some of the resolutions adopted included... contacting the White House and the State Department to actively participate in the United Nations World Conference on Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade and Reparations."

Oh great, now the U.N. wants in on the action. Just one more reason to kick the U.N. out of America.

Yep, nothing but a money grab, just like the tobacco lawsuits.

So, what these nitwits are saying is that because my family owned land along the Mississippi in the late 1600s (yes, the late 1600s, probably 1690s), then my family and I should have to pay somone money they haven't earned...:S...No offense, but if they want to sue me...they can have the measely $8.00 left in my bank account...'cause that is all their cause is worth...This crap gets brought up every once in a while and it always burns me up...>:(...I have spoken to people whose ancestors were slaves and they say that they don't care about reparations, and that it is a waste of time and resources...

On a lighter note: A guy in one of my history classes (who is black BTW) said he hated the idea and also said that people today should not be punished for the mistakes of the past...I say good show man!!!!:)

P.S. My greatest of grandparents named the plantation "Hard Times" for a reason...B|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...