gary350

Another Routine Helicopter "Landing"

I'm still confused why you'd be more comfortable with a MH vs a CH

To put it plainly.....the experience and professionalism of the pilots. I'm not sure this holds true today but I know the MINIMUM standard for applying to fly with the 160th was 150 Hrs of GOGGLE TIME in 1998! I think that quals as an ASS LOAD in anybody's book. Those guys have lots of hours under extreme flying conditions. They are simply the best in the world at what they do. Would you rather fly with them or some cherry Lt that got his wings last week and only has 10 hours in the past 30 days? ;)

Wow! I'm impressed. Is that in Afghanistan?

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of this, but I got it from a site that had this to say about it:

I'm sure all of you have seen many choppers make some daring moves, but this one is spectacular. Hope you enjoy it. This attached shot was taken by a trooper in Afghanistan. Pilot is Larry Murphy, PA National Guard. Larry is a Keystone Helicopter Corp. EMS Pilot employee called to active duty. I must state that this is a unique landing operation. I understand that this particular military operation was to round up suspects.

We have some super reservists and National Guard folks out there in addition to our volunteer troops.

This is not that big of a deal. I fly Chinooks. It's a "ridgeline/pinnacle" landing adjusted for a unique landing area. The biggest concern I might have is the stability of the building. That isn't an MH either. It has a standard M-130 flare dispenser. The MHs have a shit ton of countermeasures. There are also a number of other things that distinguish an MH from a standard Chinook. And the flying only with the 160th comment is some bullshit. Sure, if you want an extremely complicated mission to be accomplished in the most dangerous conditions- they're the ones to get that shit done. To say any CH-47 pilot that's current in the aircraft can't land like that is pretty much insulting. Here's a link to some more cool pinnacle landing pictures:

http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/Pinnacle_Landings/Pinnacle.html

We used to use Chinooks to fly to offshore oilrigs quite a lot.
Then one dark day a gearbox failed causing the rotors to clash,and killed 44 guys, which was lucky for me as I narrowly missed that flight.
They are grounded for civilian transport here now......
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

This is not that big of a deal.
. . .
To say any CH-47 pilot that's current in the aircraft can't land like that is pretty much insulting.

Whuffo? Whuffo you wanna do that shit?

Hey - let us be impressed and amazed. And if ALL current CH-47 pilots can do that, then I am impressed with ALL OF YOU! ;)