PhillyKev

Your water has expired...what do you do?

you'd probably be fine drinking it. especially if it was in a dark, cool place, like a cabinet. because if it was in a sunny spot, the sunlight will help microscopic nasties grow in there.

I'd say drink it. but you'd be playing the odds.
the question is... do you feel lucky punk? well, do ya? B|

MB 3528, RB 1182

Water in containers DOES expire. I doubt the date they put on you evian or deer park has any basis in reality, but it's something to think about. There are caplets you can buy and put in water that's be stored too long, but somehow I don't think you're that worried about one bottle.

Believe it or not, there is a market, and therefor an industry, based completely around storing and saving water for years.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Funny thing is, I think it's Desanti that has a BOD instead of expiration.

These responses are really suprising. You all do know that all the water that exists has been around for billions of years. How could it possibly expire? There was an article in the WSJ about this today. The simple fact of the matter is that bottled water doesn't expire. How long do you think that tap water has been sitting in the reservoir?

But the state of NJ has a law requiring that it have an expiration date. It's just cheaper for the companies to put it on all of their bottles instead of having different procedures.

With all the chat on pregnancies and with me being on serious pain drugs, I first read the header as "what to do when your water breaks...." I was looking for the option of "get to the hospital instead of posting, you idiot"....and then I realized I'm the idiot. LOL.

Drink it of course. Who cares?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

You all do know that all the water that exists has been around for billions of years. How could it possibly expire? There was an article in the WSJ about this today. The simple fact of the matter is that bottled water doesn't expire. How long do you think that tap water has been sitting in the reservoir?

But the state of NJ has a law requiring that it have an expiration date. It's just cheaper for the companies to put it on all of their bottles instead of having different procedures.

Actually, bottling does mess with it. Water is meant to recycle through all kinds of things. Putting it in a big hunk of plastic means it sits, aka is stagnant. You know how much fun stagnant water is, right?

Reservoirs that are open aren't much different from lakes. Jugs of water, on the other hand, are just water trying to breakdown it's container. Tell me you've never tasted the plastic in an old bottle. And all the little nasties is water can become big nasties if left unchecked.

Besides, tap water tastes like shit in most places. Why do you think we have bottled water to start with? [other than marketing ploys and stupid rich people of the 70s and 80s]
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I haven't seen the WSJ, but if they're saying bottled water never goes bad, then I just have to say they've obviously never been boy scouts or had survival training.
witty subliminal message
1*

Ok, so in case you haven't noticed, your bottle of water has an expiration date. Does water really expire? Suppose your water bottle is 6 months past the expiration date, what would you do?

Take a drink from the nearest pond, like the pioneers did. Have you gone soft or something?

BTW the purity of the tap water in most US communities is higher than that of most bottled waters. And apparently...

abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA010511Water_study.html

..it tastes better too!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, they usually purify it and then seal it under sanitary conditions. Sure, if you fill your own jugs you'll have problems. The FDA said, it will never go bad. And Homeland Security said their suggestion for rotating emergency water every 6 months was if you bottle it yourself, no need to do so for bottled water.

Umm, you could either drink it or get a glass of tap water.

The FDA has generally adopted EPA's MCLs (maximum contaminant level) for contaminants in public drinking water as allowable levels for the same contaminants in the quality standard regulations for bottled water.

Also..
"Bottled water is considered to have an indefinite safety shelf life if it is produced in accordance with CGMP and quality standard regulations and is stored in an unopened, properly sealed container. Therefore, FDA does not require an expiration date for bottled water. However, long-term storage of bottled water may result in aesthetic defects, such as off-odor and taste. Bottlers may voluntarily put expiration dates on their labels."

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/botwatr.html
Pink Mafia Sis #26

I'll buy that. You you're explanation I mean, not that bottled tap water.

I'm more than happy to use my three gallon filter and just keep it cold.
witty subliminal message
1*

Funny thing is, I think it's Desanti that has a BOD instead of expiration.

These responses are really suprising. You all do know that all the water that exists has been around for billions of years. How could it possibly expire? There was an article in the WSJ about this today. The simple fact of the matter is that bottled water doesn't expire. How long do you think that tap water has been sitting in the reservoir?

you are getting too hung up on the word "expire". the water doesn't actually turn into something else, or become bad. The expiration date is because statistically, after a certain amount of time the organisms in the water can start to grow to the point of noticeable, or the bottle lining can start to degrade. these can both affect the taste and sterilness of the water.

I have seen jugs of boiled water start growing algae after a few months of sitting sealed. no it wasn't bottled commercially, but you would expect boiled water to stay clean for longer than a few months.

MB 3528, RB 1182

The FDA has generally adopted EPA's MCLs (maximum contaminant level) for contaminants in public drinking water as allowable levels for the same contaminants in the quality standard regulations for bottled water.

Yes, but just how many people has that tap water been through before you drink it?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

hell... if i can fill my canteen from some canvas sack of water thats been hanging out in the sun for days... i can drink a freakin bottle of water thats expired...