vonSanta

Wooh - I got a job (sort of) - how to handle commuting?

Graduated as a software developer in 2002 - absolutely no jobs to be had. For the first time In my life I had actually done something about my studies and my grades were great. Dinnae help - there were at least 70 applications for every job, and loads had been laid off, even though they had vast experience.

Anyway, I get into a program for the unemployed. Internship/theory for 9 months (with only unemployment check as payment) and then if I've proven myself, I get a full time job. Lots of searching and interviews and elimination and I land a position at a great little 5 man internet company that does Content Management Systems. Highly professional dudes and contrary to some other internet companies, these guys have it together - the right technology, architecture, plans, customer base etc.

The only drawback is the four hour commute every day. Two hours to get there, two hours to get home. The price for that alone eats about half of my unemployment benefits as it stands now. I'll get some back in taxes but that doesn't help me now. And moving isn't an option because I am forced to attend some "theory" classes through a company - that's part of the deal forced on me (and my employer) by the unemployment office. Right now I am unsure how much time I will have to spend here (taking classes rather than working) and before I know I cannot move.

I know many Americans spend hours stuck in traffic and I distinctly recall thinking "poor suckers - 3 hours of just waiting with frustration without getting anything done". Now I'm in a similar situation and already after one day I am sick of it. Leaving my aparrtment 05:30am, on the bus 06:18, at job 08:00, on the way home (earliest) 4:30 pm, back in apartment around 6:30pm. Bringing a laptop won't help much since I need access to the company's servers, and they just bought a new stationary PC for me and really cannot afford a laptop/cellphone thingy. I'm a programmer so there's only so much I can do before I need to start coding (1st iteration analysis and design was done prior to me starting).

All that wasted time is driving me crazy. Software development is the only profession I can imagine myself doing, I'm not bad at it and I want to show just that. But I am dead tired after getting up so early and spending 14 hours straight being away from home.

I know you Yankees are more familiar with commuting, so any advice would be helpful. Should I borrow money from the bank and get that laptop/cell phone combo? Or lend even more money and get a small room in the other town? I'm really at a loss here. Employer is happy with me so far but if I could use the time better I'd be more sure of becoming one of the few newly hatched comp. sci. dudes who actually manage to get a job.

Someone must have been in a similar situation (in whatever field). Any suggestions/help/advice will be greatly appreciated, as it may help me secure a job that's interesting with good future prospects and with great colleagues.

Well. Am not gonna beg on my knees. Not yet, anyway :P

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I spent an hour and a half (usually) each way to get to and from downtown Los Angeles for four and a half years. I now live a 5 minute drive from work. Soon will be a 10 minute walk to work for about a week. Then to be a 10 minute drive to work.

All I can say is that you will get used to it. Learn a routine. Maybe go in earlier and leave earlier, if possible.

You will adjust. If not, start lookign for another job - do it when you have a position to turn down work you do not want.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Sounds like a job where you could do some work from home. If you got an internet connection, do you really need to be physically in the office?

I'd might try to ask to work at least 2-3 days a week from home.

I don't know CVS to well, but won't that make it possible to work on the buss?

Use the time on the bus for sleeping, reading and all the things most people almost never find time to do.

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sounds like a job where you could do some work from home. If you got an internet connection, do you really need to be physically in the office?

I'd might try to ask to work at least 2-3 days a week from home.

What fudd said, all your boss can say is no.:)
R.I.P.

Actually you kind of answered your own question. If you can swing it financially to invest in equipment that allows you to utilize your train commute time you would come out ahead. I am sure your employer would notice the effort that you put into making yourself more productive.

Relocating before you know what your longterm is commitment would be more costly. This time now is called paying your dues, but can be really beneficial to you if you put effort into it.

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

7 years ago, my husband took a job that was 2.75 hours south of our house, in Quincy Illinois. He found a small furnished apartment, that cost less than a daily commute would. For 6 years he worked for a company that knew he would come in early, stay late and work a 10 to 12 hour day, in exchange for some comp time. He came home early on the weekends, sometimes as early as Thurs eve. Gave us 3 days together occasionally. Once he was sent to New york for 5 months, and I think we saw each other 4 times in the 5 months.
Then he took a job in South Carolina 15 hours south of me.
We had one weekend a month for 11 months, plus two months together there, since I was off for the season.
Now he is laid off, and he is looking at a job 10 hours from here. We will figure something out. It can be done.......
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Got your point:)but housing cost in Europe is a little different than here in farmland.:P
I was doing the commute for awhile from here in Rockford to our facility in Gouda, Netherlands. Was worth the cost of housing in that case.

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

I know how it feels to lose a quarter of the day on the road. I used to live 10 miles from my office, but last month I moved 90 miles away from my office (in LA traffic). After the first week of commuting I was a total wreck. My friend suggested changing my hours and investing in some good CDs. After taking his advice, my 3 hour drive each way is now closer to 2 hours and I'm much more relaxed when I get home.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

I know how you feel. I live in New Jersey but commute to my office in New York City every day. My office is not even ten miles from my home but I commute 90 minutes each way (includes 2 trains and a mile walk) It's not fun. Best advice I can offer - use the time to sleep, read, or find a way to do some work. That's how most of my fellow commuters handle it. Otherwise your only other option would be to move. Good Luck!!!