Bodyflight.Net

Which DZ websites do you like and why?

Hi, I've seen posts like this but they are OLD, and well, the www changes all the time.

I'm taking on a new dz client (who will go unnamed) and wanted to know your thoughts about how a DZ website should look & function... what do you expect to see and what would you hope to see.

I'm sure the other web guru's here will find this insightful as well.
Thanks in advance!:)

Easy to navigate. . .up to date information. . .weekly pics of all the happy people there. . .aerial photo of landing areas CLEARLY MARKED. . .directions and contact information. . .an up-to-date calendar of events is always good too.

I have seen a few that meet this criteria. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Easy to navigate. . .up to date information. . .weekly pics of all the happy people there. . .aerial photo of landing areas CLEARLY MARKED. . .directions and contact information. . .an up-to-date calendar of events is always good too.

Yep yep and yep. Also prices.

Here's a nice example of a really good site, even though it's not a skydiving one: http://www.thefloridaridge.com/

In fact The Florida Ridge also has an email newsletter. For example, I recently got one telling me the weather will be great for hang gliding this weekend: "It doesn’t get any better. 5-10mph from the South. Suitable for all pilots, students, and Sky Rides. And soarable? You better believe it"

If the weather's going to be good on a weekend they do a good job of telling me about it beforehand. They also send out notices about upcoming events and cool things that recently happened(like someone beating a local soaring record), gear being sold, and so on.

I wish SOBE would do that. Maybe I'll forward them an example.

In addition to the above, I always look for what type aircraft the DZ has. A lot of sites don't have that and sometimes causes me to go somewhere else. Also, get linked into the DZ.com network and ground-rush.com network and there's a couple others where people look for links to DZs.

Blues,
Nathan
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

I have thoroughly enjoyed building my home dz's website:P:P ---have found it's look and function to grow and change yearly....work in progress:

Looking so forward to updating events page for this season and introducing photo gallery with stills taken with superb cannon rebel six megapixel digital camera. (about time!)

At last we will have a video clip page too this season.

Adding a "history" page to include older slide pics scanned.

Just completed the 'links' page to include 'things to do and see' in the local area...b&bs, motels, shopping...

Vancouver Skydiving

SMiles;)

Anybody know how a strictly flash website records server log info? It doesn't seem like you can get any information out of those sites on the client end.. how do they know which pages are most popular, or click through patterns? If anyone knows, I'd love to be in the loop on that one, that's currently my reason for discouraging flash sites (not that using flash elements are bad).;)

I HATE pages with frames that are split top and bottom. I want to be able to view more than three inches of page when I have it maximized.

I don't need to see your logo in the same place on every page. Feel free to put it in there somewhere, but keep it small on other pages. I can remember what site I'm on at any given time, thanks.

The basics: [like people are saying]

(1) a clear, easily navigable homepage
(2) a large aerial of the dz and landing area
(3) clear driving directions with an understandable map, from a few directions
(4) an up to date events calendar
(5) a basic info page with aircraft, prices, local amenities
5a - what aircraft you fly [and when if they come and go]
pics of said aircraft
5b - prices for regular jumptickets - I don't really care how much a tandem costs 99% of the time, but I want to know if you charge $15 or $20 per.
5c - a good list of local hotel/motels with accurate phone numbers and prices.

all the info listed on the dz.com dropzoen database should be on your site somewhere.
Do you have:
- Gear Rentals, Gear Sales, Rigging Services, Covered Packing Area, Creeping Area, Team Rooms, Video Rooms, Coaches, Load Organizers, Accuracy Tuffet, Restaurant, Shop, Bar, Bunkhouse, RV Hookups, Camping, Showers, Pool, etc

if yes, list it. if it's not listed, I assume you don't have it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

:(I mean, we're building the sites for the jumpers, seems there would be more input, or perhaps all the keypoints have been covered??

What I've done with mine is have an 'experienced' link to direct the jumpers to and put all the stuff I'd be looking for there. Separate the student section and make sure to dummy it up for them. I've seen a few that were a bit too complex for the whuffo mind...
-----
~~~Michael