alanab

american girl in london

i'll be studying abroad in london from january through march of 2004. should i take my rig with me? what are jump prices like? weather that time of the year? dz's close to london? requirements for jumping in another country??? any help is appreciated:)

Hey Alana,

You might want to check out the BPA site:

http://www.bpa.org.uk/dropzone/dzone.htm

Closest would probably be London Parachute School but the one time I jumped there it was literally just a field with a couple of trailers and a C206...more of a student operation than anything else.

The bigger DZs are Headcorn, Netheravon (Army Parachute Association), Sibson (Peterborough) and if you're prepared to travel a couple of hours British Parachute School (Langar) and Weston on the Green (RAF Sport Parachute Association) are pretty big operations too...at least by UK standard..[:/]

Weather will probably stink, but we do get some beautiful but Baltic clear days.

Cheers

John

COOOOOOL :)

DEFINATELY bring your rig. London is a very big place, where are you studying....

actually, i'll PM you, be easier :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

definitely bring your rig, but you may want to invest in thermals/microfleeces as well. We jump all year round and just adjust clothing to suit the temperature!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Yup, bring your rig, there are plenty of good DZ's around, UKs a small place, nothings more than a few hours away. Prices well about £17, weather will be cold !! If bad jump on a plane to Spain (Empruviabrava) it rocks !

"Life is a bowl of deadly nightshade, stay way way out on the rim brother"

Winter? brrrrrrrr.....

I must say that neither Karen or I wanted to jump in winter in England.... but we're wusses.... It may not get terribly cold, but its so damp and humid, plus these months are the most awfull weather wise.....

That being said, Easyjet and Ryan Air has real chep flights from London to Barcelona or Perpignan, and Empuria is just a shorth drive then!
Remster

I'm pretty sure that if you are jumping at a BPA affiliated DZ (and I can't think of any UK ones that aren't), you have to be at least a temporary member of the BPA. I think that your USPA insurance would cover you over here, but the BPA have their own special rules....

DZs I would recommend: Weston, Netheravon, Sibson (Peterborough) - all less then 2 hrs from London. Langar and Hibalstow are also worth a visit, but are a little further away.

Its been mentioned before, but its always worth repeating...... its bloody FREEZING here in the Winter. Given the dates you are over here, Empuriabrava is defintely worth considering.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

its bloody FREEZING

Please... come to Montreal or Edmonton in January, thats bloody freezing! lol... the problem in the UK with the dampness... yuk.

But Alana, do do a jump.... its nice to jump in various places! (but stay away from that Skreamer guy... really unsavory character he is...)
Remster

anyone know if i HAVE to be a bpa member?

i were in UK 1 weekago and yes you need to be a BPA member,but it aint any problem. I payed 23£ for a membership to BPA and the dz for the rest of the year i belive...

Their jump prices...B|[:/]>:( i payed 17£for 12000ft in a beaver which far more than i pay for a 13200ft jump in DK

one comment about UK...

"they are all wrong"... well atleast thouse i meet:ph34r::D BASE 813 i miss the time lets flick again soonB|:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Yeah, sorry I missed that - thanks Remster.

I can't recommend Hibalstow - although an excellent DZ with competitive jumps prices, 15K on most lifts, good facilities (well, ish) etc, Skreamer is known to go there on occasion. Just too much risk involved, when all is considered....

:P
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I can't recommend Hibalstow - although an excellent DZ with competitive jumps prices, 15K on most lifts, good facilities (well, ish) etc, Skreamer is known to go there on occasion. Just too much risk involved, when all is considered....

Especially if you wear a sheepskin coat during the winter months.:P
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

My experience says: don't do it. But I'm sure there others here who like the place.
Slow turn around, lots of ATC problems (on a major flight path). Only been there a couple of times (outside of competitions) but wasn't entirely impressed.
David Brent

what about headcorn? no reccommendations for there yet, but seems to be the closest?

There are some not so great opinions about Headcorn on this thread.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've jumped at each of the DZ's below bar one, can you guess my current home? Guess I'm gonna get flamed for this but IMHO...

Headcorn
+ Excellent bunks, friendly jumpers + DZO, Pete Sizer and Zygosis (home FS team) rock.
-Sloooow turnaround, altitude holds due to proximity to Gatwick/Heathrow, crap showers open to public, landing area is a long walk from packing shed, cafeteria is very expensive.

Netheravon
+Multiple aircraft, generally good turnaround, no altitude problems, welcoming friendly staff, plenty of bunks, good toilet/showers, excellent bar/disco area, cheep beer, good food Ok prices, huge indoor packing area, largest landing area in europe, free camera slot for FS teams who register to train at Nethers.
-open to civvies weekends only, if you don't want to party on Friday/Saturday nights bring a tent, reputation for military jobsworthiness (but unfounded in my experience, perhaps 'cause they're all away fighting)

London Parachute School - I have visited this DZ but haven't jumped here so.....
+Closest DZ to London
-Altitude issues, landing areas are off airport, seeing people landing in ploughed fields put me off, I have white on my jump suit.

North London Parachute Centre
+Excellent packing area, friendly staff, good canteen.
-Bit of a tandem/first jump course machine = slow, student/visiting jumpers landing area is a good walk from packing shed.

Hinton, Banbury
+Good packing area, mostly friendly staff, ok showers, toilets, manifest is lovely.
-Tandem/ first jump course machine = slow turnaround, sometimes not helped by air traffic control, current aircraft not FS friendly, issues sharing airspace with gliding club.

Getting to any of these DZ's by public transport is a mare, you really need a car, or a lift. And I think that turnaround at UK Dz's is always slow if you compare it to the slicker US DZ's (I feel the flame coming [:/]).

Wherever you go, your a jumper so your going to get a warm welcome, even if the weather is crap. British pubs are excellent places to be when the weather is truly $h!te.

Cya :)