jkm2500

What religion are you?

You married yet? I'm 6 months away from being a "menace to society".

6 Months!?! Congratulations!!! What's the story, where are you getting married?!

I'm not married, I'm working on it, bu I'm still pretty dang young. I don't think half the people at my DZ realize how young I am, I just let them assume I'm older and go with the flow.... (I'm at least old enough to Skydive..)
=========Shaun ==========

Years ago while on a business trip to American Fork, Utah I picked up a book about Porter Rockwell and the history of the Mormon religion. I'm just curious if the religion teaches about this man in particular and its history in general.

We do, He was (unfortunatly) an important figure in early mormon history. He was not the greatest thing for us...

We do, He was (unfortunatly) an important figure in early mormon history. He was not the greatest thing for us...

I find this religion particularly interesting in that it is not very old and its origins are well documented. It is facinating to me that people can be armed with all this knowledge and still be compelled to be followers. The book I read is called "Porter Rockwell - The Black Saint of Mormondom". I recommend it for all people of christian faiths because it is objectively written (by a mormon) and it is a great book about settling the west as well.

I find this religion particularly interesting in that it is not very old and its origins are well documented. It is facinating to me that people can be armed with all this knowledge and still be compelled to be followers.

This is the problem with non-believers-- they don't understand that faith is not in your head, it's in your heart. You can just feel it.

Kelly

they don't understand that faith is not in your head, it's in your heart. You can just feel it.

That's wrong according to Hebrews 11:1 and by the examples throughout the rest of Hebrews 11.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm admittedly not very good with scriptures, especially in the Bible. What does Hebrews say? It could be based on the minds of the leaders at the time, with little bearing on today's society or God's actual intentions. Many of the books of the Old Testament are that way.

Kelly

This is from Bible.com.

1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Basically, Faith isn't a feeling, is a resolve. This is further reinfoced later in the chapter.

For instance:

3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

In other words, by our resolve to believe, we know that God formed the universe at his command.

The entire rest of the verse is a series of such things, but here's a good example:

32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies

They didn't do it by "feeling" they did it by resolve to believe. If it was by "feeling" they would have failed.

See what I'm saying?

Also, this is not like you were trying to imply, that it has no bearing in today's world. If anything, I see Hebrews 11 as being on of the most important chapters for life today, since the beginning it has all come down to faith.

Let me clarify why I'm doing this.

I do not hold myself to a single church, infact, I do not go to church. I have serious problems with "religious people" who have no spiritiality.

What I'm trying to get you to do is to question what you're told, spend time learning what the Bible says, compare it to what you're being told and pray about it. Be very careful to step out of the dogma of your church, though. It took me a long time to do that with the church that I grew up in, I had to spend a lot of time reading and questioning before I could see the falsehoods of the teachers.

That's what I've done in my life and so I believe how I believe due to that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Ok, that's actually a very good argument, but I guess I need to clarify what I meant. Faith BEGINS in the heart, but we must be educated in order for it to grow. And you need resolve and a desire to believe in order to study and learn about your religion . . . So in that way it is in your head. But most people do not just wake up one day and think, "Ok, today I want to believe in God."

And prayer for personal revelation as to the power of God is one of the cornerstones of my religion. We are NOT told to believe blindly. I am a convert, and I was URGED to pray for knowledge and to feel the spirit for myself, and not take anything secondhand.

Kelly

Ok some one help

If you are a Mormon you have to be married by 25?

what happens if your not?

It's just a joke. Most mormons get married in their early 20s. There is a joke that says "If you're 25 and still single, you're a menace to society." We don't have to be married by 25. Take me for instance. I'll probably be 60 before I get married. No one will care. Just a common joke.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I find this religion particularly interesting in that it is not very old and its origins are well documented. It is facinating to me that people can be armed with all this knowledge and still be compelled to be followers. The book I read is called "Porter Rockwell - The Black Saint of Mormondom". I recommend it for all people of christian faiths because it is objectively written (by a mormon) and it is a great book about settling the west as well

I find your comment rather rude & condescending - I am a well versed individual - I did my 4 years of Semenary and now enrolled in Institute at my Local University - I teach a College Aged-Sunday School every other Sunday...... How does it amaze you that you can be armed with this knowledge and still be followers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints??! The "Bible Answerman" himself admitted we were a very well educated and versed people, and I have had to defend my beliefs far too many times to people who know nothing about our religion other than what has been fed to them by their Pastor/Reverend/Bishop/et cetera. I know my religion, and I am still learning everyday - I was not given a testimony from my parents, this was something I developed myself through my own reading and prayer.....
I am not looking for a theological debate here, I just want you to know that I felt your comment was condescending and uncalled for....

So thats what an AK-47 sounds like when they shoot it at you.....I always wanted to know.

Popcorn popping. Seriously.

If you're hit with the first shot, you'll likely never hear it. It's Mach 2+.

Blue skies,

Winsor