Mac

Free Stowed D Bag

Ive returned back to skydiving after a good several years out, and didnt keep up with gear progression.

I have heard of a new D-Bag that allows you to free stow the lines, and I think involves some sort of closure with magnets?

Can someone point me in the direction which manufacturer produces this...

In addition, any other manufacturer that produces a D-Bag allowing freestowed lines so I can compare products.

Edit to add: This is for general use with my Spectre.

Thanks

Semi-Stowless D Bag from Vector 3 aka United Parachute Technologies Scott Roberts design price is $120 USD

I currently use one and love it. Makes life easier, quicker, and less potential for line twist.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

See, I find this odd... There is all this talk out there about how much tension each stow is suppossed to have, and too little tension is bad, too much is bad...

Yet we freestow reserves, minus the two locking stows. Why all the talk about the line stows not being up to the correct pressure, if it doesnt matter? :S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

See, I find this odd... There is all this talk out there about how much tension each stow is suppossed to have, and too little tension is bad, too much is bad...

Yet we freestow reserves, minus the two locking stows. Why all the talk about the line stows not being up to the correct pressure, if it doesnt matter? :S

Because when we *do* stow the bands, it is important for them to be even in size, tension and stow tension. It's not the stowing in and of itself that is important, but the management of the stows.

Hope this helps. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

As has been stated, there are several versions of this idea out there. However, I suggest you use a bag that uses at least two locking stows IE: Rubber bands. After having seen This video around the 4:20-4:28 mark and the parachute coming out of the D bag before full line stretch I am convinced not all the bags of this design out there are equal.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As has been stated, there are several versions of this idea out there. However, I suggest you use a bag that uses at least two locking stows IE: Rubber bands. After having seen This video around the 4:20-4:28 mark and the parachute coming out of the D bag before full line stretch I am convinced not all the bags of this design out there are equal.

Thats sketchy. It looks like a Vector3, does he have the UPT bag, or does he have something else?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I'm assuming its not the UPT semi-stowless bag but perhaps a complete stowless bag as he was stating that he recommends at least two stows such as UPT's.

Thats sketchy. It looks like a Vector3, does he have the UPT bag, or does he have something else?

It is my understanding that it is the bag that uses magnets (Mpod) in the video, not the UPT bag. I have been using the UPT bag for some time now as have others and it works nicely without any issues.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It is my understanding that it is the bag that uses magnets (Mpod) in the video, not the UPT bag. I have been using the UPT bag for some time now as have others and it works nicely without any issues.

Thanks!

I might be getting one of those (the UPT ones) I shoulda ordered it when I bought the rig... guess Ill have a spare d-bag laying around.

I might be getting one of those (the UPT ones) I shoulda ordered it when I bought the rig... guess Ill have a spare d-bag laying around.

You can't swap it for the stock bag on a new rig anyway, or at least you couldn't when I ordered 16 weeks ago. I had to pay full price (I think $120) for the stowless bag and received both bags with the container.

You can't swap it for the stock bag on a new rig anyway, or at least you couldn't when I ordered 16 weeks ago. I had to pay full price (I think $120) for the stowless bag and received both bags with the container.

Weird...

Just an FYI, contacted Basik Air Concepts, and their bag with magnetic closure is only for their Seven containers. They stated they dont make it for other brands of rig because its too complex for all the different types and sizes.

You're probably referring to the mPOD: http://pgasus.be/start.php?lang=en

Get one. You'll love it.

Thats the one! Nice one fella... Cheers

I assume by your post that you jump one, have you any issues or niggles with using it? I take it the system increases the size of the bag, but by what sort of amount?

It looks like from the picture that there is no initial stow at all, and the dual closure is in place of this? The lines deploy from the figure 8s first and then (and only then) at line stretch the secondary closure flap opens allowing airflow to the canopy.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has used the mPOD, and your thoughts on pros and cons.

Thanks in Advance

Mac

Semi-Stowless D Bag from Vector 3 aka United Parachute Technologies Scott Roberts design price is $120 USD

I currently use one and love it. Makes life easier, quicker, and less potential for line twist.

Thats a pretty neat idea. Can you use the UPT d-bag in other containers? If so I may look into picking one up.
Muff #5048

Thats a pretty neat idea. Can you use the UPT d-bag in other containers? If so I may look into picking one up.

I believe that the UPT semi-stowless bag is universal providing that you order the correct size d-bag for your container. ;)

I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has used mPOD, and your thoughts on pros and cons.

I have one and I am very happy with it, like everybody I know who uses one. Good openings, easy packing ...

I have not seen the video yet mentioned somewhere in this thread, but it is very hard to believe that a mpod lead to an out of sequence opening of the bag if it was closed correctly.
Know your gear and use it correctly.

from my limited 8-10 jumps on an mPod I would be very cautious about jumping a canopy that was not well sized for the container and the bag.

while the magnets are effective to a degree there is only so much shit you can stuff into a 5lb bag...
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.