Gravitymaster

Howard Stern taken off the Air

SkydiverRick: Everyone made their choices and Howard is off the air

Howard didn't say, 'hey, take me off the air.' The company under the supervision of the FCC made that choice, and THAT is censorship.

They told him to tone it down He chose not to. His choice had a price. And no that wasn't censorship.

never pull low......unless you are

Did he continually use the F word or something?

The "reason" for him getting yanked is that a listener called up and said the word "nigger", Stern then hung up on them.

We probably wouldn't be arguing if this was happening to Rush Limbaugh.

Probably not...I'd still be pissed that the government stepped in and censored him, and so would you.

The "reason" for him getting yanked is that a listener called up and said the word "nigger", Stern then hung up on them.

I would still be standing up and saying how I feel on this subject. This is heavy handed goverment no matter how you look at it.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I would be. As a citizen of the United States of America, it is my CIVIC DUTY to stand up for the Bill of Rights and demand that the government respect the rights it gave to us when this wonderful country was created. It is called being an American and trying (even if feebly) to keep government working FOR the people, not against them.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I would be. As a citizen of the United States of America, it is my CIVIC DUTY to stand up for the Bill of Rights and demand that the government respect the rights it gave to us when this wonderful country was created. It is called being an American and trying (even if feebly) to keep government working FOR the people, not against them.

I could almost hear the drum and fife playing in the background. :D:D

never pull low......unless you are

That guys calls in and says that same shit all the time and they didnt do anything before. Anyways, he was saying it to Robin and she didnt care, why should anyone else?

That guys calls in and says that same shit all the time and they didnt do anything before. Anyways, he was saying it to Robin and she didnt care, why should anyone else?

Walton and Johnson here in Houston does the same thing. They don't actually use the "n" word but it's serious inuendo.. They're also a Clear Channel station.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that Clear Channel took him off of their stations, and this amounted to SIX radio stations nationwide! The rights to his show, according to what I heard on the radio, are not owned by Clear Channel, they chose to download and broadcast him on these six stations. He is still on all of the other stations he is heard on, nationwide, according to the news that I heard!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Don't know if this is true or not, but I heard that Clear Channel took him off of their stations, and this amounted to SIX radio stations nationwide! The rights to his show, according to what I heard on the radio, are not owned by Clear Channel, they chose to download and broadcast him on these six stations. He is still on all of the other stations he is heard on, nationwide, according to the news that I heard!

That's correct. It's a syndicated program. They carried him in Miami, Orlando, Pittsburgh, DC, Louisville, and I think the last is Minneapolis.

But, that's not the point. The FCC fined Clear Channel for something some other program they carried, did. So, they made up some new rules because of pressure from the governent, not because they wanted to. What happens when the same thing happens to Infinity, who carries Stern just about everywhere else?

"What happens when the same thing happens to Infinity, who carries Stern just about everywhere else?"

Good question...who knows?
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

So, has there been any new decency laws passed since the superbowl? None that I know of.

What is happening here then?

I'd say it's the FCC tighening down on rules and regulations that have been in effect, probably for many years.

Why is this? Did Janet cause this? The government didn't change anything, it's just enforcing rules that have been overlooked for a long time. Why? Why now? Could it be the PUBLIC reaction to the Jackson nip incendent? I'm willing to bet it is.

The same public that screamed this "crap" (Jackson's tit) should never have hit the 'waves happens to be the same public screaming "censorship!" with that "crap" (Stern's show) gets pulled.

Big society filled with people that have nothing better to do than whine about something.

I just heard about a heart attack that happened while watching Gibson's new Jesus movie. Wanna bet where that goes?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I just heard about a heart attack that happened while watching Gibson's new Jesus movie. Wanna bet where that goes?

When I saw this story this morning. The first thing that came to mind was the movie "Scrooged" remember in the begining Bill Murray was a movie mogal and found out one of his movies had scare some lady to death? He goes on an advertising rampage using the hookline, "Our movies are so scary your going to DIE watching them"

I know it has nothing to do with the subject...

As for where it's going to go. My bet is that movies and tv are to violent.. It's caused and old lady to have a heart attack and die.

Hey Rev:
I am screaming "Censorship" with the Stern thing and I could have cared less whether the Jackson Nip thing happened. It didn't change my life where this has the potential to be HUGE, that is why I am ranting about it and mailing my senator about my displeasure.

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

As for where it's going to go. My bet is that movies and tv are to violent.. It's caused and old lady to have a heart attack and die.

Rated R for violence

"Yea, I knew it was R rated. I wasn't expecting it to actually be violent like that though. I'm going to sue."

"Yea, I know Howard's reputation, but I listened to him today and was offended. Fine him or I'll sue."

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
It's your life, live it!

You are screaming censorship about laws that are (I'm willing to bet) older than I am.

Laws that have been enforced, quietly, for much of that time.

Laws that we know about now only because they were used against a media nightmare of a person. One with a big mouth, that decided those laws shouldn't apply to him.

Where's that ground you were standing on?
It's your life, live it!

You are screaming censorship about laws that are (I'm willing to bet) older than I am.

Yeah...the law is really clear on the issue...

The Federal Communications Commission defines indecency as "language or material that depicts or describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community standards for the broadcast medium, sexual or excretory activities or organs." In this situation, community standards are determined by the FCC, not the citizens of a particular community.

I don't care who it is: big radio personality or not, it is unconstitutional. That is what I am telling my senator, in hopes that he will speak for me. I highly doubt it, but at least I am acting on my beliefs and not sitting idly by waiting for the next person to fight my fight for me. No law should infringe upon our freedoms, and the 1st Ammendment states that clearly. It may have been a law or a regulation for a long time, but it was not a hot topic until now, when it is enforced. It is the same reason that I wrote him regarding Patriot Act II being passed and infringing on my right to privacy. If we don't stand up for ourselves, nobody will ever know that we are upset.

- Voltaire

I wonder if you actually listen to Howard Stern at all. I am in san diego (one of the places he got shut off) and I listen to him almost every day. Yes some of the stuff he says is pretty dumb but on almost every show, he has to stop and check with the show manager if something he is going to say is allowed by the FCC. This would annoy the shit out of me.

How would you like it if you were trying to work and every five seconds someone told you that you could not say this or that. Granted he does have a job that is not normal and says things that people dont want to hear but so fucking what, if you dont like it, dont listen.

Howard Stern taken off the Air

Thank God. This society could do with a lot less trash.

Chris

I doubt if you have anyone holding a pistol to your head forcing you to listen to Howard Stern, if you dont like it dont listen to it.....Hell Boycott the entire station if it is something that you decide you need to do, but you or ANYONE else doesnt have the right to decide what I hear. This country has a neat little clause called "Freedom of speech"......... or at least it used to..... :(

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Now that you mention it...maybe Haliburton did have something to do with this. B| However, this is directly connected to the Bush family - Clear Channel, Infinity, and Spanish Broadcasting could not be as large and monopolist as they are without the help of that wonder family from Texas.

Did you know you can't say tit but you can say titie bar on the radio? See, this is how goofy this FCC junk is. Did you know the FCC almost considers themself obsolete? Yup. They feel with pay-for-TV and Radio, as well as the interenet they are limited in what they can actually impose as "community defined standards."

Like I said - no love lost between Stern and I. I was partially responsible for getting him kicked off the air in Chicago about 10 years back.....and then he sued me for it (along with a few others). I was logging his FCC violations because we were in the middle of a "radio war." I know first hand how many violations he has.....however, he has the right to freedom of speech, and I would fight for his right in a heartbeat.

The corp climate of broadcasting in this country is heading us in a very dangerous direction. At this current moment in time it would only take three men to make a decision to censor someone and ban any talk of it from their media outlets - this would cover almost every single major broadcast outlet in the country. Scary stuff.

You can argue just about anything you want, but freedom of speech is now something that hinges on how much it will effect the shareholders.

Did you know that anyone can get away with swearing on TV/Radio? Yup, unless someone actually complains to the FCC they are powerless to do anything. The FCC is there just to impose community standards. Now, here is a good question - if Stern has possibly the most popular show in the country, wouldn't that mean that the community approves of his show???

Also, if I was a sponsor on Clear Channel I would be fumming - the ad rates for his show are huge. I know I would ask for a refund because I certainly wouldn't want my ads being run at the same time for the same cost during typical music in the morning.

I haven't looked, but did anyone see how CCC stock did today?

I was partially responsible for getting him kicked off the air in Chicago about 10 years back.....and then he sued me for it (along with a few others). I was logging his FCC violations because we were in the middle of a "radio war."

You weren't involved in cutting their broadcast lines when they were there live, were you? Now THAT's an FCC violation :P