DYEVOUT

What the hell are these ? - HELP !!

Does anyone know what these devices are?

There were several of them cast into concrete columns of a parking garage.

Attached photo G-1 is looking up at the bottom of one.

G-2 is the side view.

There is no electrical connection, and the copper tubing leads me to believe they are some type of air samplers?

. . . . . Clueless.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

My first thought:

speakers

The copper tubing was used as a barrier to keep the wires from snapping as the building settled. The screen at the bottom kept debris out of the paper cone. Perhaps they were once used for warning devices.

Of course, I say all this without knowing how old the building is.

Wow!

My first thought:

speakers

The copper tubing was used as a barrier to keep the wires from snapping as the building settled. The screen at the bottom kept debris out of the paper cone. Perhaps they were once used for warning devices.

Of course, I say all this without knowing how old the building is.

My thought too. They wouldn't just run wire and have it sticking out of concrete. In commercial buildings, you use conduit for everything it seems. You'd have to protect the wire in a concrete column. If the building was really old, they'd use copper. Looks like an old speaker that isn't being used probably.

F.Y.I.

The answer came in from a boiler tech friend of mine at Wright Patterson A.F.B. (within 7 minutes):

Those are carbon monoxide detectors. The canister is a particulate filter and the copper line goes to a pump that is drawing samples that are fed through an electronic analyzer and alarm system.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

ok a few different things do not lend its self to being a speaker. i.e. the type that would convey speech.

a. the copper tubing used is its not generally used as a conduit.
b.the fitting shown to connect this copper to the unit is a compression fitting providing an air tight seal. often used in neumatic systems.
c. the unit is mounted at tire level, a level that would not carry the speech very far.

however often high decibel sirens are mounted low to the ground when close to human paths, generally points at the ground so the sound will bounce with out directly blowing into the listening ears of the workers that are in contact.

also the fact that you might get into trouble federally also lends me to the belief that is a neumaticly powered warning alarm for the building

my best guess... some what educated seems how im a pipefitter and had some experience in the matter. but i could be wrong ... wont be the first time for sure

EDITED....guess i shold have read the last two huh? see wrong again

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)