shmali

Plane's going down, what would you do?

if it were high alti it wouldnt really matter to have the rig on yet. I would jsut grab the thing and go (if there were a big hole I could fit out of already there) even at 10-12k I would just jump and put the rig on in freefall... pro much easier then that in a tumbling plane with pieces flying off of it...

then once I had my rig on (time permitting) I would look for any others that may have been ejected, pick the smallest one and go for a terminal mr-bill..:)

but of course this is all if I didnt get tackled and killed by people on the plane seeing me with a parachute and the plane in pieces...prob would go over too well with anyone especially after 9-11

There was also a UAL that blew all it's hydraulic lines. Ended up crashing at Sioux City. There was a considerable amount of time where the aircraft was in level flight between hydraulic failure and crash, including a while where they were below 10k feet.

The #2 engine threw a blade...It cut the lines, and they bled out.

However, you still could not have gotten out. The hull integrity was good and the plane was still presurized.

Trying to get out would not only be fatal for you...There is not a good exit position on a DC-10. But any attempt to exit would cause a serious problem for the people left on board...

So you would be dead, and you might have killed them all.

For the record, many companies loaded that same problem into a sim....And as for as I recall, not one other person was ever able to even get that DC10 close to the airport...much less just land short.

That was some damn good flying.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

As far as I can tell there have only been about five accidents ever where a parachute might have made a difference. ... and fifth was the Aloha Airlines convertible 737.

I think it is a stretch to say a parachute might have made a difference on the Aloha convertible. The only person killed was the flight attendant who got vacuumed out (whacking her head on the wall on the way by, some conspiracy theorists claim, apparently indicating she would have needed to be wearing a helmet as well as a rig when the roof unexpectedly popped). The rest of the people under the hole, the first class types, _could_ have decided to exit if they'd had a rig on, but their survival in this case was probably largely dependent on their seat belts, which one would have to take off to retrieve and don a rig. Then exiting a gaping hole in the ceiling and dodging the flight surfaces and engines further astern would be the final challenge before almost certainly having a water landing in the Pacific Ocean.

Not what I call good odds. B|

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

>I think it is a stretch to say a parachute might have made a difference on the Aloha convertible.

It is a stretch to say that a parachute might have made a difference in _any_ inflight breakup. Even when there's a big hole in the plane (as in the Aloha flight) exiting may not even be possible.

Then exiting a gaping hole in the ceiling and dodging the flight surfaces and engines further astern would be the final challenge before almost certainly having a water landing in the Pacific Ocean.

"Could you tell the pilot '5 left'? There's a beach bar ahead."

LMFAO!!!!!

I think it is a stretch to say a parachute might have made a difference on the Aloha convertible.

It wasn't just the roof that peeled off, but the sides too. See the attached photo. All you would have to do is get your rig on, and roll out of your seat to the side.

The problem would be, that my rig was in the overhead bin, which has already been sucked out into space...

And I'm not going to don my rig and wear throughout every flight. The seats are too small already, and it would frighten the passengers.

But (there are a lot of "ifs" here), given that problem to start with... I would be deathly afraid of the plane breaking up killing everyone. Therefore, if I could get to my rig, I would. And once over land at a lower altitude, I might well jump through that gaping hole. I would trust my own skills and my chute, more than I would trust an already crippled airliner.

We asked that question over 40 years ago....and the concensus then was get out and track like crazy. When they find all the passengers and the wreckage in one spot, they would fin you aboit 5 miles away with a grin on whats left of your face, and they'd go nuts trying to figure out why.

Bill Cole D-41

LOL!!! Funniest thing I seen in awhile.

Since I would probably have been showing my fancy new rig off earlier in the flight I would make sure I put it on right away so no one else goes for it! Don't want some idiot throwin it on and jumpin away with it.:)

woa....that was cool....

All you would have to do is get your rig on, and roll out of your seat to the side.

And strike the wing, antennae, and possibly get ingested by the engines.......:D

Or stay on board and possibly die in an in-flight breakup. How could you have omitted that possibility?

Take your choice which set of risks you prefer.

I'd probably choose to try and take care of my own life, rather than leave it in the hands of others, or to "fate". If it is to be death, I'd rather die trying something, rather than to sit and do nothing.

What I wonder is in a situation that a plane broke up in flight and people are scattered accross the sky..how many of the average jane and joes (given they werent knocked out or killed from the breakup) would be consious for the rest of the fall... I would prob have the best jump of my life... given that it is almost certain (without gear) that you arent going to make it through this...I would track and head down..transition all over the place until impact..

another silly scenario back in the 1960s was picture an old prospector chipping at rocks on the side of a mountain l;ooking for that gold strike, , and a skydiver whistles past him trailing red smoke, tracking the same angle of the mountainside.

The look on the prospector's face would be priceless, and he'd never have another drink of hootch.

Bill Cole D-41

I'm one of the few that voted that I would trust in the airline. I'm at peace with myself that if it's time to go, it's time to go. Don't get me wrong, I know that I'd be scared shitless.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

There was also a UAL that blew all it's hydraulic lines. Ended up crashing at Sioux City. There was a considerable amount of time where the aircraft was in level flight between hydraulic failure and crash, including a while where they were below 10k feet. Situation like that, I voted to get off the plane by any means possible.

[Flight Attendant]
Excuse me, Captain, I know you're a little busy right now, what with all the hydraulic thingies and everything, but... there's a gentlemen back here who wonders if it would be too much bother to de-pressurize the aircraft so he can... BOOM
[/Flight Attendant]

All you would have to do is get your rig on, and roll out of your seat to the side.

And strike the wing, antennae, and possibly get ingested by the engines.......:D

You know, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of the possibility of doing a Dick Bong whilst trying to bail out.

On top of that, here's another variable. Where am I when this plane is going down? If I'm flying between US and Japan, or US and Europe, my ass is staying on that bird. I've got a better chance of making it by staying on the aircraft than bailing out and trying to find an iceberg to land on.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Or, how about this......The plane is going down and you are in your seat(and you are thinking, Damn, I wish I had my rig) and all of the sudden you see someone walking toward the back of the plane with a rig on! So what are you going to do? :)

I would kick his ass and take his rig! Maybe even ask what size main and what kind! And hope to hell it is not one of Derek V. rigs!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"