Duckwater

Would you shoot someone robbing your house?

first shot in the .357 is rat/scatter shot, for use chasing chopped canopies and intruders

I sure hope you're never called upon to use your weapon against an intruder....snake shot at anything more than 2-3 feet is more than likely just gonna piss somebody off. I put nothing in my gun but hollowpoints for self defense. If you're gonna shoot, you need a real round. If you want something that will spread, get a shotgun.

Mike

Just to make Dave feel better, I do have to say he seems to have the best thought out plan and to be the most prepared for it. If you listen to anyone's advice here, he's a good choice. The man's got his shit together.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Probly with my gun in hand but out of sight.

Why keep it out of sight? Have it pointing straight at him. If it's out of sight, he may be encouraged to actions he wouldn't try otherwise. Also, if it's behind your back, it's barely better than in a holster. If it's trained on him, you can squeeze off at least one before he brings whatever weapon he has to bear.

My only problem is with the people who say "if he's in my house, I'm gonna cap his ass." They leave out the possibility of a burglar complying with every command. I'm sorry, if a crook with his back to me slowly raises his arms, lies face down spread eagled, and sits still, I'm gonna wait for the cops, and not shoot him over a friggin cowboy hat or stereo.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

The point is not that he deserves to die for steeling your TV; the point is that does not deserve a warning at the risk of your own life.

"Sir, do you mean me any harm?"

BANG!

"GASP! I'll take that as a yes."

If somebody is in your house, you don't have to put yourself or your loved ones in danger to give them the benefit of the doubt. They broke into YOUR house, so Texas law give YOU the benefit of the doubt.

So you are incapable of anything between getting yourself killed and shooting blindly? Maybe the command "FREEZE!" is outside your vocabulary?

Really, if you are holding down on him, and he is unaware of you, how is he a threat to you? What justification do you have there? How would it decrease your safety to try a one word command?
witty subliminal message
1*

Hey Christian,
Take that rat shot out of that weapon and substitute Glazer Safety Slugs...tiny bits of sharapnel suspended in a teflon liquid. It won't go through a wall and hit anyone on the other side, it won't ricochet from a hard object and you wouldn't believe the damage it'll do to flesh, lol. Developed for use by Air Marshalls, it's great for home defense. I've been told that if a person were hit with one, in the arm, just outside the emergency room door, they just might not make it...hehehe. SC Home Invasion laws, new just this last year, make possible the fact that if a person/persons enters your domicile, unwanted, unannounced and unwelcome, we have the right to use deadly force, no matter what the other circumstances. I, for one, will protect my loved ones, home and property, in any way I see fit, creating the most amount of damage in the least amount of time as possible.

FFF

*dons flameproof underwear cause I really don't give a fuck what happens to the asshole that breaks into my home - as long as he dies.*

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Sort of academic, because I don't own a gun. In the middle of that sort of situation, I'd be pretty high strung and scared. I'd probably take aim and shout "freeze" and if he didn't, I'd probably start shooting. The complicated feelings would come later, it's not an emotionally free ride, even if it is justifiable.

Oh, and to the guy who advocated firing every round into the guy - bad move. He might have a friend in the house.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

The complicated feelings would come later, it's not an emotionally free ride, even if it is justifiable.

I would kill an intruder and feel no remorse whatsoever.

Maybe for certain ones among us, it is a free ride. :S

Oh, and to the guy who advocated firing every round into the guy - bad move. He might have a friend in the house.

Exactly. Why waste rounds. I guess that is a difference between Shoot to Kill and Shoot to Stop.
witty subliminal message
1*

The poll is very simple. You are being robbed, not threatened. (Or mabye I am being threatened but I won't have time to find out) I believe that anyone breaking into my house is probably armed, as they expect me to be. If I err, I will err on the side that I will survive every time.

The definition of "robbery" involves the use of, or threat of, force.

If a burglar wants my stuff, he should break in while I'm not home. Then it's his for the taking.

If he breaks in while I'm home, then I'm going to assume that he's so crazy that he doesn't care about confronting homeowners, and is therefore a potentially serious threat. If he doesn't turn and run the second I make my presence known, he's going to be shot.

If they are running out with your boots still shoot, just make sure you drag them back inside. :ph34r:

I know you posted that as a joke, but it is really bad advice. If you shoot an intruder outside, and drag them back inside, the evidence will reveal this. And it will just make your justification look worse, because you tried to cover up the crime yourself. You would be better off leaving the body where it is, and explaining why you still had to shoot because you feared for your life.

I was willing to overlook his inability to differentiate between burglary and robbery, but you are, as usual, correct.

All his examples involved burglary (with the intent being felonious theft).

Yep, there's every possibility he is attempting burglary theft under the assumption you're not there. If they know you're there, somehow I think theft is not on their mind.
witty subliminal message
1*

Would it be inappropriate to come clean at this time and admit I'm a burglar trying to gauge the reaction of my victims?

If you were, then you should consider this info:

Burglars spend most of their time carefully selecting their target to strike when the occupants are not home. Why? Because they fear being shot. Prison interviews prove this. Only 13% of U.S. burglaries are to occupied homes.

In Britain, where there are almost no guns in homes, 56% of all attempted burglaries are to occupied homes. Thus, Brits are far more likely to face a violent confrontation with a young, strong intruder - because the criminals are not deterred by the threat of armed homeowners.

Source: Kleck, "Point Blank - Guns & Violence in America". UK data from a 1982 British crime survey by Mayhew. US data from Bureau of Justice Statistics National crime survey for 1985.

The very presence of armed homeowners serves to deter violent confrontational crimes. And this benefit is not just for the armed homeowners themselves, but for all homeowners - because the burglars don't know which homes are armed, and which are not. Thus, the burglars have to consider every break-in a potential threat to their lives. Even people who choose not to own guns, benefit from the lowered crime rate achieved by gun owners.

Two guy's entered his store one waited at the door the other approached the counter with his hand in his pocket and said give me money or I kill you. Store owner (old fart) Shot the guy at the counter (hand still in pocket)

Justified. It doesn't matter if the robber didn't actually have a gun. He made a threat to life indicating that he did have a gun, and the store owner was therefore justified in shooting to defend himself against that threat.

HOMICIDE, n. The slaying of one human being by another. There are four kinds of homocide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and
praiseworthy...

THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY
by Ambrose Bierce

I'd say that fit number three and four.
witty subliminal message
1*

Can you really shoot someone just for being in your house even if they don't appear to be armed? Does someone deserve to die for stealing your TV set? Give me a break.

How did he break into your house? Maybe jimmied a window with a big screwdriver? That's a weapon in the hands of a desperate criminal who doesn't want to get caught. And he may have a knife or a gun also. Just because he's not holding it in his hand, doesn't mean it's not within a second's reach in a pocket.

How do you know he only wants your TV set? You can't read his mind. He's already shown disregard for the law by breaking into your home. Maybe he also has disregard for your life...

Having a gun for self defense doesn't mean you automatically have to use it. You can yell out to the burglar that you're armed, and if he's smart, he'll run away, quickly. Problem solved, no shots fired.

However, if he doesn't leave, then what? If you don't have a gun, your life is in danger. And the five minutes it takes the police to arrive will seem like a lifetime. On the other hand, if you have a gun, you stand a good chance of saving your life. What's so bad about that?

I know about gun safes and that you are supposed to lock your weapons up in there so kids don't get a hold of them and they aren't easily stolen and that makes perfect sense to me. Makes it okay to have a firearm in the home for use in hunting or range shooting. My question is.. if you are responsible in storing your gun, how the hell you gonna pull it on the robber to begin with? :S

There are gun safes that hold a pistol, which secure the gun from children, and also make it quickly accessible in an emergency. They have finger touch buttons to unlock it with a combination, which can be operated even in the dark, without fumbling for a key, or trying to read numbers.

Example

Example

If they are running out with your boots still shoot, just make sure you drag them back inside. :ph34r:

I know you posted that as a joke, but it is really bad advice. If you shoot an intruder outside, and drag them back inside, the evidence will reveal this. And it will just make your justification look worse, because you tried to cover up the crime yourself. You would be better off leaving the body where it is, and explaining why you still had to shoot because you feared for your life.

True, it was posted as a joke, if you do shoot hem outside just say you shot them inside and THEN they ran outside. :ph34r:

Honestly though......the truth shall set you free. With the way forsensic scientist work now, no matter what happens, just tell the truth. things will be easier and you won;t look liek yo uare trying to hide anything

By the time you read this you have already read it.

I live in California and I would shoot to kill.
There have been to many cases in court were the "A"hole ended up suing for everything you got cause you put them in a wheel chair. Happens all the time.

Just a couple of weeks ago some "A" Holes stole my friends Yamaha R6 from the parking garage right behind my unit. Had I been home at the time (a friday night 11:30 pm) I would have shot everyone of them.

Thieves are a major percentage of the reasons why everyone pays higher insurance. Whether it be home owners, auto, medical insurance ...

Nick

Nick D

The key to Immortality is- first living a life worth remembering”

Yup.

Punk in my castle - life is forfeit.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The point is not that he deserves to die for steeling your TV; the point is that does not deserve a warning at the risk of your own life.

"Sir, do you mean me any harm?"

BANG!

"GASP! I'll take that as a yes."

If somebody is in your house, you don't have to put yourself or your loved ones in danger to give them the benefit of the doubt. They broke into YOUR house, so Texas law give YOU the benefit of the doubt.

So you are incapable of anything between getting yourself killed and shooting blindly? Maybe the command "FREEZE!" is outside your vocabulary?

Really, if you are holding down on him, and he is unaware of you, how is he a threat to you? What justification do you have there? How would it decrease your safety to try a one word command?

I'm speaking in simplified terms of a justified killing. I'm not going to kill someone if they're obviously not an immediate threat. If I catch somebody in my house, and their back is to me, or they're hands are full with my stuff, or I feel that I have sufficient light and time to asses the situation, I will of course yell "Freeze!" But if that person does anything but freeze, he's a goner. My condoning of lethal force was a generalization. I was thinking more along the lines of a guy in a ski mask jumping out at me from the shadows. In that situation, I'm not going to worry about whether or not he is armed; I'm just going to shoot him. It would take me longer to say "Freeze!" than it would for him to pull a trigger. I really don't think we disagree; I think we're just interpreting the question or the situation differently. I'm not a vigilante. I just don't think citizens should be required to determine whether a person invading their home is armed before using force.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.