JoeyRamone

Elderly Couple Makes Ocean Suicide Attempt

Found this on the drudge report. Hope i don't ever get to this point in life.

SEASIDE PARK, N.J. - An elderly couple tied themselves together back-to-back with speaker wire and walked into the ocean in a suicide attempt, but the husband survived, authorities said.

Jacqueline Sindlinger, 72, and Norman Sindlinger, 74, of Brick Township, wrote out a suicide note, then drove to the beach early Wednesday, lashed themselves together and plunged into the ocean.

The water was 39 degrees, with wind-whipped swells up to 8 feet high.

A fisherman found the couple unconscious at the water's edge, and alerted authorities.

A police officer used CPR and an automatic defibrillator to resuscitate Norman Sindlinger. He was listed in critical condition Thursday.

His wife died, apparently of hypothermia, authorities said. It was unclear how long they had been in the water.
A note found in their home "reflected that they were depressed," said Robert Gasser, a spokesman for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.

"It's just a very sad event, that people's lives would come to this point," said Police Chief William Beining.

Rita Baldaccini, 79, a neighbor in the adult community where the couple lived, said Mrs. Sindlinger had been hospitalized about four months ago for a seizure or stroke.
Mailman Jeff Conner said the couple had put a hold on their mail on Monday. "They left a note in the mailbox," he said. "I just thought they were going on vacation."

I would think it would be super hard to "just leave em alone"..

~Jeff

Dr's do it all the time. Was in the hospital and heard the Dr ask the guy in the room next door, what he wanted to do :(

R.I.P.

You were in the hospital and heard this? Doctors do this "all the time"? Heard it in the "next room"? What is your "line of work"?

"It's just a very sad event, that people's lives would come to this point," said Police Chief William Beining.

Mid 70's, health problems, maybe married for 50+ years. Sounds like it was a mutual decision but a hard way to go. I'm thinking carbon monoxide would be more peaceful.

Both of these comments are mildly disturbing to me.... I'm a big softie, I cringe when I see and ankle break, and for some reason, hearing about suicide Sends chills up my spine... I can't handle it..

I hope I dont' get flamed for this, but I sure hope assisted Suicide never becomes legal here in the states - Too many greedy Doctors and others who would take advantage of people in their worst of times. Heck, we live in the United States, most of us are capitalists, the last thing I want to see is this to develope into an Industry (as everything does....) and soon we'd have doctors willing to "Knock you off" for 20% less than the other guys...
IMO, people who are even considering suicide need Immediate Counseling, regardless of age or circumstances...
=========Shaun ==========

Dont think I am a cold and callus SOB but if I were that cop I would have let them be.

I think I agree with you, though I had not thought of it til you mentioned it.

The only thing is, the cop would probably catch shit for doing nothing, even if he were truly "respecting the wishes" of the couple. For crying out loud, though, does anyone really think that the poor guy is going to want to be alive NOW, with his wife dead? I mean, they loved each other enough to go into death together. I think they deserved that peace.
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Dont think I am a cold and callus SOB but if I were that cop I would have let them be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I agree with you, though I had not thought of it til you mentioned it.

I don't think the cop would have known the difference between Blotched Suicide attempt/Accident/foul play....... He was doing his duty...
=========Shaun ==========

I hope I dont' get flamed for this, but I sure hope assisted Suicide never becomes legal here in the states - Too many greedy Doctors and others who would take advantage of people in their worst of times. Heck, we live in the United States, most of us are capitalists, the last thing I want to see is this to develope into an Industry (as everything does....) and soon we'd have doctors willing to "Knock you off" for 20% less than the other guys...
IMO, people who are even considering suicide need Immediate Counseling, regardless of age or circumstances...

"Too many greedy doctors and others who would take advantage..."

I think this implies that there is not such a situation already. I don't see how legalized suicide would make a difference. We already have people of all professions willing -- indeed eager -- to take advantage of us. Look at what the lying sons of bitches do to people who have the misfortune of being overweight! There is a TRILLION-DOLLAR INDUSTRY for weight-loss "products" many of which are outright frauds. Doctors are, in some cases, party to this. Or how about how doctors have put a generationor two on behavior-control drugs like Ritalin. Cripes, a few years back there was no such thing as ADHD until the medical profession realized they could sell pills and consultations with it!

I think that people deserve to right to end their lives when they have reached that reasoned decision. We are free to choose how to live, and we all must die, but must we accept the notion of death taking us in unchosen and possibly painful, protracted, or unexpected ways? I would rather be free to at some point say, "I've had enough," and end my own life in grace and dignity and a clear mind than to have to wait for pneumonia to claim me in a hospital bed while morphine turns my mind into mush and my relatives don't recognize me because I can't even see them let alone recognize them...

Dying is about the most personal thing in the world, and yet we allow governments to tell us we're not allowed to do it until we've exhausted all the so-called life left in us as we wither indisease and pain? Nuh-uh. The time to die is when you feel right with your end, and at peace; not when you are out of your mind with discomfort, sadness, misery.
-
-
-Jeffrey

Sigh, Maybe I'm just old Fashioned.....[:/]

Maybe it's not old-fashioned to object to suicide. Maybe it's new. Remember, some other cultures regard suicide as a very viable option. Think about Japan's history.
-
-Jeffrey

If doctors/whoever knows what your wishes are with certainty, they can just "leave you alone" under some circumstances -- that's exactly what an advanced directive is for. You can carry a card in your wallet that says "advanced directive in place at ...." You can let your family members know what your wishes are too.

However, emergency workers have to KNOW that you have an advanced directive -- they have to assume that you don't have one. And it only applies to fairly extreme situations, where you can't communicate. Otherwise, they either ask you, your family, or, if in doubt, they exercise due caution.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

~Jeff

Dr's do it all the time. Was in the hospital and heard the Dr ask the guy in the room next door, what he wanted to do :(

R.I.P.

You were in the hospital and heard this? Doctors do this "all the time"? Heard it in the "next room"? What is your "line of work"?

I was a patient in a cardiac wing of the hospital. The guy in the next room may have had a hearing problem so the Dr was speaking in a loud voice.

My guess is the patient had gone "code blue" (T.V.) before and would do it again. So the Dr was giving the guy a choice.

In the past we talked with a nurse that was just starting her career and left one patients chart on his room mates bed. The roomie asked about the "No Code" notation on the chart. When he found out what it meant he was gone!

Living will? Isn't that where we get the right to tell the hospital in advance how far to go?

R.I.P.

Being a cardiac patient myself (have an internal defibrillator) - I see nothing wrong with that. (I also work in a hospital). Many patients who have continued cardiac problems will request a DNR (do not recusitate order) or have a living will. I have a living will that states "that if the chances of survival similar to previous life are not obtainable, no extra provisions are to be made to retain living functions" I would hope many doctors would respect this, my wishes, and those of my family.

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

Or how about how doctors have put a generationor two on behavior-control drugs like Ritalin. Cripes, a few years back there was no such thing as ADHD until the medical profession realized they could sell pills and consultations with it!-

I was diagnosed with Hyperactivity Disorder back in 1978 at a Indian Health Service Hospital. ie, it cost the government money to treat me and the doctor was on a fixed salary. Where's the incentive there?. Do doctors overdiagnose and proscribe stuff for ADD/ADHD, yeah probably but please don't marginalize all of us, that have to cope with the real effects of this real condition everyday of our lives, just because of a few bad docs.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Yeah, sort of reminds me of Romeo and Juliet, romantic but not in a good way. The saddest thing is hearing in the note that they were so depressed. Suicide notes I think are the hardest things to read. I'll never be heartbroken if I never read another one again. And I agree with the originator of this thread in that I hope my life never gets that bad [:/]
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

The whole story just hit me, Man is life that bad that you need to take your life? I have read about a few people from this site in the past year that did the ultimate sin, they killed themselves. Just baffles me.

I lost a dear friend 4 years ago from suicide, just one of those phone calls I hope never to receive again. He left behind 3 kids, 10, 12 and 16 and a wife. Hell he played pro football for 8 years and could not deal with just being an average person anymore. If you are thinking about it call a friend, get some help, shit call me I would be more then glad to talk to you any time any where. That is an open-ended question to anyone who read this post.

Life has its ups and downs but nothing is worth waxing yourself.