AggieDave

Martial Arts?

Sorry to hijack, Aggie, but my thought isn't worth its own thread.

Anybody who has a good website I can go to in order to find definitions and descriptions and comparisons of the different disciplines? I'm doing a little Martial Art "window shopping" and wanna find the one that's right for me...

Elvisio "call me Grasshopper" Rodriguez

www.martialtalk.com

If you sign up for the forum, put me (Nightingale) down as who referred you.

B|

Kenpo Karate - 15 years. Never officially got my black belt, but I do compete in black belt level competition, and have for the last seven years or so. My instructor's been pestering me to test for black for years, but its been quite a logistics nightmare, because I've had seven instructors along the way, and I want them all here for my test. Also, I have a monopoly on teaching private lessons, since the black belts charge $50 and brown belts charge $35. The newbies figure a brown belt can teach them the basics as well as a black belt, so they'd rather save the $15, and I'm the only brown belt. I test for black, I lose my extra pocket money, because for $50, they can have either me or the head instructor teach them, so they'd just go to the HI.

Also took TKD for two years in college. Wasn't my thing. Feet should stay on the ground so you can keep your balance, not go flying through the air trying to kick someone in the head... the kenpo philosophy involves kicking out the knee first, so the opponent is on the ground, and THEN kicking him in the head. Much more efficient. :D

Feet should stay on the ground so you can keep your balance, not go flying through the air trying to kick someone in the head...

That's the first thing we changed, the only time a kick was high was when it was a finishing move or an obvious strike. Mostly feet never got above the waist. We also practiced only weapons that were practical on the street (short and long staff, knives, etc).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I took Tae Kwon Do in the olden days. Our instructors kept moving away. Ended up working out on my own a lot. Didn't get very high belt wise. Did karate for about four years. Hated the stretching part. Ended up giving it up and started weight training more.....Steve1

Got up to a Green Belt TKD around 1991-92
School was Tae Ryong Tae Kwon Do Master Yong Shin..(maybe familiar W/name? he had something to do with Olympic team around that time)
Nowadays (or nights) I do Cardio Kick Boxing class at 24Hr Fitness..fun class! Sometimes I am the only guy in the class!:)

4 years of jishin ryu jiu-jitsu, got to my green 2 (middle rank) before the dojo closed and our sensei moved. I'd love to get back into it, but there still isn't a nearby dojo. I've thought about taking up a different discipline, but I'm not keen on any particular one.

And of course, I tend to spend all my $ on skydiving now... less available for other interests.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

When mixed martial art competition came about, the BJJ stylists dominated the scene and destroyed a lot of myths. Hehehehe - submission techniques found in BJJ is second to none. You're right, when you go to the ground you can throw all this fancy ineffective crap right out of the window.

a good portion of that was the result of the rules prohibiting lethal or permanently debilitating attacks. The 'myths' werent destroyed so much as they were prohibited by the rules.

its not difficult to kill or maim rather quickly if you've decided you need to, that reality is not reflected in those sorts of contests, taking out someone’s eyes, breaking their arms/hands/knees pretty much stops any ‘submission’ technique before it begins..

part of the problem is many 'martial' arts have forgotten that and focus on exercise more than the lethal skills they originally cultivated.

..As for fighting....well, I use a .45 for that...:D

hookitt walks up to Aviatrr... "are you wearing your .45"?
Aviatrr: Nope
hookitt performs... *Boot to the head* maneuver.

:P:P

Not like that would really happen between us but you see the point?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Aikdo. Hurt shoulder, quit cause it was my deployment arm. It was alot of fun, great atmosphere and teachers. And hey, nothing like being able to "throw" a guy twice your size.

I tried Tae Kwon Do, but the guy turned into a used car salesman and tried to sell me $800.00 worth of lessons. I explained that I skydive and won't be around much in the summer and he said he knows what it cost to skydive and this is more important. I walked out.

judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I with ya to a degree, truly am. Having said that, I've seen a martial artist or two totally lose it in the street away from the sterile environment of the dojo.....on the ground before they could think, they were "finished". Situations vary and I've seen what you are talking about work effectively also.

MA, here in American - to a large degree - is "sports" oriented.........a lot has been forgotten. At the same time, it should be progressive relative to different street senarios "ms?".

My personal thoughts and experience.....mixed MA, period. ;)

Couple of years of TKD with my son. Green belt. Our instructor got killed in a freak accident and it kind of lost the fun. Lightening hit a tree that fell on his truck while driving down the road.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Bill Wallace is a character and still quite flexible.......if this is the same Bill we are talking about "Super Foot?". I've met him on several occaisions to include Jeff Smith, Joe Lewis and Keith Haflich who now is deceased - was shot. Back in the late 70's I was Keith's sparring partner while I was a teen.........he almost, while suffering from whiplash, took the United States Light Heavyweight Title from Jeff Smith.......it was a close fight. Dan Wilson was his trainer then and mine as well.

As for Jeff Speakman, he possesses incredible speed unlike anything the average person has ever seen. My wife's comments "what else can he do with those hands" lol...........he does seem to be a incredibly nice guy.

Wow.......I have to check out Larry.......it's been a while. :S

TheAnvil has taken martial arts before.

I used to be a kung-fu maniac then got into baguazhang/hsing-i. Love the internal styles. Haven't been active in a long, long time, but have been wanting to get back into it recently.

Hey took Hung-Gar for close to 5+ years. Want to get back into it, maybe Jet Kun Do (spelling I know). What's baguazhang/hsing? What internal styles intrest you? There's a Jet school near my work where the head instructor studied under Lee. I went and saw him work on the wooden dummie. JESUS the guy was insanely fast and hellof good. Plus he's over 60 so I was like DAMN.