almeister112

Openings that bring a riser across my neck?

I've now managed to pack myself 2 openings (out of only about 60 total pack jobs I've done) where my right riser will somehow run across the side of my neck on its way out. The first time this happened a few weeks ago it wasn't a big deal, just mildly uncomfortable; however, I had one this weekend that was a really hard opening that also left a good-sized welt/hickey-looking thing on my neck.

This is probably difficult to answer without somebody watching me pack, but does anybody know what might be causing that? I'm jumping an older Dolphin rig with a Sabre 170, if that makes a difference. And it's only ever been the right riser that causes the problem.

And one other question: on openings, I've developed a tendency to grab my risers and sort of pull myself up a bit during the snivel to lessen the force of the opening on my legs and crotch. That was also not a problem until the hard opening this weekend, which managed to rip the risers out of my hands and took some good-sized flaps of skin off my fingers. Is grabbing the risers before full deployment a completely stupid idea?

Obviously I don't have a lot of jumps, so I am fully aware that I am likely making rookie mistakes. That said, I don't think I'm still in a track or turning when opening, but it's possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> but does anybody know what might be causing that?

The most likely explanation is being somewhat right side low during deployment. That happens to some people if they throw their PC violently out and down during deployment.

>Is grabbing the risers before full deployment a completely stupid idea?

It's not a great idea. Imagine what would happen if you had really bad line twists and your hands got trapped.

I used to grab the risers because I wanted to be able to steer immediately after (sometimes during) openings, to avoid collisions during bigways. I lost some skin as well. What I do now is put my (open) hands just outside the risers during opening, so I can get to them quickly but will not get them trapped.

#1. Riser across the neck is almost certainly a body position issue, rather than a packing issue.

#2. Grabbing risers too quickly will eventually get you one (or more) broken fingers. If your harness is adjusted properly, the opening shock should not hurt (much). ;)

One of the many, many reasons to always wear gloves. Even when it's a hundred degrees in the shade and you're otherwise nekkid, gloves are still a good idea. (For landing, shoes have advantages as well.)
Johan.
I am. I think.

grabbing the riser to pull youself up during deployment will cause input to the canopy that is opening whether it be even or uneven.

and pulling yourself up does not lessen the opening shock on your leg and crotch.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I've now managed to pack myself 2 openings (out of only about 60 total pack jobs I've done) where my right riser will somehow run across the side of my neck on its way out.... but does anybody know what might be causing that?

You might not be leaving enough length of line between your last stow and the risers...? Initially bringing them up and together on deployment (like a pyramid over your head) slapping the side of your neck. Which side of the d-bag is your last stow on???
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

You might not be leaving enough length of line between your last stow and the risers...? Initially bringing them up and together on deployment (like a pyramid over your head) slapping the side of your neck. Which side of the d-bag is your last stow on???

Do you often deploy on headup or how else is that possible? My lines usually unstow bottom first.

Do you often deploy on headup or how else is that possible? My lines usually unstow bottom first.

Yeah but the lines are connected to the risers which come over the shoulders. I think the 'slapping' would be more likely from a single line twist etc... that the OP is spinning out of before he even knew it was there.

Here is a pic of me with a single line twist, that I just spun right out of.. But it did cause both risers to slap the back of my neck and helmet.

valid point. happened to me too, with sabre 1 170. ^^ With a sabre2 those have always been way over the risers, possibly due the softer opening..?

save up some money and go shopping.. I got a few hard openings on my current canopy and they still were softer than standard opening on sabre1 with rolled nose etc..

I agree with not grabbing your risers during the opening for all the reason already mentioned.

I also agree that you may not be leaving enough line after the last stow. It should be 12-18 inches.

I recommend you watching this 3 part video on packing a Sabre 2: [url]YouTube - PD Sabre2 Pro Pack by Nick Grillet - Part 1

All the info is transferrable to the Sabre 1.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I've now managed to pack myself 2 openings (out of only about 60 total pack jobs I've done) where my right riser will somehow run across the side of my neck on its way out.... but does anybody know what might be causing that?

Your sig line disclaimer does seem to be true.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm leaving enough unstowed line length, but I'll double check. And I'll be sure to concentrate on my body position next time I toss the pilot chute--I suspect I've stopped paying attention to it much, since I've never had a problem just tossing it and getting ready to start steering. Not a good habit to be in.

If a riser hits your neck, that means you are not stable at opening. This is the main reason why skydivers wear a helmet, to protect their head from a riser slam. At opening time a riser is like a steel bar. At opening the total force on risers can reach up to 2000 lbs (see Jean Potvin's studies at university of St-Louis MO). Therefore, after launching the pilot chute, come back in a box position and look at the horizon to open stable. Don't look at the pilot chute going up. That twists your head and upper torso putting you partially sideway and unstable.

Now for the slammer you describe, make sure at packing to put the slider grommets well against the stoppers and recheck that again when bagging (by "combing" the lines up) since the slider could have moved a bit. Just one inch of slider down can provide you with a slammer. Sabre 1 can be hard at opening, you also can get softer openings by rolling and creasing inward the 4 noses of each side. But never put those 4 noses of each side inside the middle cell.
The factors contributing to the opening shock are the following:
1) size and material (F111 or ZP) of the pilot chute
2) size of the rubber bands (they have to be tight enough to avoid a lines dump)
3) the type of canopy (elliptical canopies open softer than rectangular ones)
4) the type of lines (Dacron lines provides softer opening than Spectra or HMA lines because Dacron (polyesther) can stretch more).
5) the size of the slider
6) the way you pack (described above)
7) your position at opening time (described above)
Try working on that and tell us if you see any improvement.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Your sig line disclaimer does seem to be true.

Oh... there's no doubt about it... :D:D