Rebecca

Evil in the workplace

For the past several weeks, I haven't had an extraordinary amount of work to do. Not even an ordinary amount, really. So I was looking forward to a long weekend last Thursday, when lo and behold, afternoon rolls around and brings hell with it. I was asked to validate a set of financials for another group, and of course it was a rush (no problem), and we need to figure out which data set to use (no problem) and I would have to liase with Tanya (PROBLEM)

Tanya*, an associate fresh out of B-school, has been assigend to my dept. for eight months now. I started asking when her rotation was up the minute she got here.

This little peon seems to think that she's the only one with a brain around here, and treats everyone else acordingly. Zero respect, total impertinence, and a prima donna attitude have made her the bane of my entire organization. Every single person, with one exception, despises this woman. And the exception is coming around to the truth, too, when Tanya's nose isn't buried up their small intestine.

She just barged into my office for the umpteenth this week, demanding to know what "these numbers" mean, and why this and why that, and while I was attempting to explain, she leaned over me (oh my God the halitosis!), and started using my freakin' keyboard! That's just the latest infraction.

GAAAGGHHH!

OK, rant over.

Anyone else have to deal with That Person? The one who has the ability to enrage, annoy, and irritate everyone around them? More importantly, any advice on standing up to them that doesn't comprimise your professionalism?

*Names have been changed to protect the innocent (i.e. me)

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Evil in the workplace

I thought someone brought in Krispy Kremes.....[:/]

That would be "Crack in the workplace":D

I didn't get addicted because my second hit, I did 5 of them in a row, then 15 minutes later I went to the bathroom and, well, disgusting story short, I don't eat Krispy Kremes anymore because they don't last long enough.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Ehhh, kill em with kindness??

I tried that. It seems she took that as English for "Please feel free to assume I work for you, and take advantage of my helpful nature" [:/]

Grr.

Count your blessings if you get along with the people you have to deal with.

Oh, and just to give you an idea: I like damn near everyone, and I'm fairly certain that the folks who have met me think I'm easy to get along with. It takes a lot to get me this incensed.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

tell her to BTFU- if she barges in your shit and starts using your stuff as if you didnt exist YOU NEED TO STOP HER or you will be walked on for the rest of the time she is there.

I dont stand for that shit at all.
My photos

My Videos

tell her to BTFU- if she barges in your shit and starts using your stuff as if you didnt exist YOU NEED TO STOP HER or you will be walked on for the rest of the time she is there.

I agree totally. Set her straight or you'll be treated like that from now on. If the whole office (practically) is behind you, there'll be no backlash for it. It'd be a bit different if they were with her, as you'd be seen as 'the enemy'.. seeing as you won't, go for it.

'buttplugs? where?' - geno

Anyone else have to deal with That Person? The one who has the ability to enrage, annoy, and irritate everyone around them? More importantly, any advice on standing up to them that doesn't comprimise your professionalism?

Sure be frank with the.

When they are hovering over you demanding information, ask them to step back and respect your "personal space" If they are yelling, and shouting, TELL them to stop calmly. If they don't or get upset, zic HR on em'.

The other trick is give them enough rope when they are making an ass of themselves and.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I agree totally. Set her straight or you'll be treated like that from now on. If the whole office (practically) is behind you, there'll be no backlash for it. It'd be a bit different if they were with her, as you'd be seen as 'the enemy'.. seeing as you won't, go for it.

Thanks guys! That's pretty much my plan. The next time she walks in I'm going to stop her, tell her to back out, knock, and ask me if I'm busy. I will then say, "Yes, I am. Send me your request in an e-mail, and I'll get around to it when I'm not busy."

I hate to admit it, but I'm very non-confrontational. I'm not weak, I just don't deal with this type of situation well.

SHUT UP AND JUMP!

SHUT UP AND JUMP NAKED!;)

Rebecca, these two men have proven to be very wise indeed. You should listen to them both for your own good.:P:D

Edited caus i can't spell very good.:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Every job I have ever worked I have always had some ass monkey trying to roll me over.....some are a little sneaky than others. Last year 2 of them left.....one was ask to resign the other left on his own. This time around it is a guy who used to work there, but recently got re-hired. Everyone knew he was an ass the first time around, so I have no idea why they would hire him again. And of course, he is starting shit just like lat time! To top it off, while he was gone, he put a shotgun to his face and pulled the trigger. He survived with a screwed up face. I felt sorry for him at first, but now that I have gotten to know him, all I want to do is ask him how in the hell did he miss! Sounds bad I know, but this guy is such a jerk.:|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

OMG!!! I had 6 weeks with her last year. Never in my LIFE have I had so much difficulty getting along with someone. But I suppose in this case she probably feels the same way about me....hee hee.

Peas~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I feel your pain. I've been with the company I work for 11 years and had a clerk (whose been here less than a year) came into my office a couple of days ago for an impromptu training session. The woman who sits next to me told me later she held her breath, waiting for me to go ballistic. I just let her waste my time for a few minutes, thanked her and sent her on her merry way. The idiot is going to put in her monthly report that she "crossed trained" me. Whatever...

Let's just say you all have it pretty easy with co-workers. Try working with doctors, especially women physicians. They can make you feel like you are lower then the crap that grows on crap. It took me a bit of time to learn to work with one female physician and the trick is coffee, coffee and more coffee. I now have developed a permanent twitch in my eye that won't stop from all the caffeine...... hehehehe :);)

There is always that someone that makes your work day harder and they may not intend to do it, so just talk to her and explain how she is making you feel.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

HA!!! Of course the woman that I couldn't get along with was another female (a-hem) medical student while we were on surgery rotation....sorry to hear that women doctors haven't always been kind. I'll keep that filed away for future reference....

Peace~
Lindsey

Let's just say you all have it pretty easy with co-workers. Try working with doctors, especially women physicians. They can make you feel like you are lower then the crap that grows on crap.

--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

These people tend not to respect boundaries until you make clear what the boundaries are. Sometimes you have to tell them flat out that they are crossing a line and that they are lacking in professionalism.

I would not tolerate that kind of behavior. No matter who it was. Even the president of a company better not BARGE into my office. I will not acknowledge them if they do.