jbred74

Mirage G4 M5 Packing a Sabre2 210?

Hey guys, I've got a Mirage G4 M5 on order and am looking into buying a Sabre2 210. The 210 isn't actually listed in the container sizing guide on Mirage's website for the M5, only listing a 190 as optimal and 170 as soft, but I want to jump a 210 for a while before downsizing to a 190. I weigh about 200-205 lbs and will have about 40-50 jumps by the time the container gets delivered. Does anyone have any experience getting a 210 into the M5? Will it just be a bit snug or tight as hell and a pain in the ass to get in there? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to say, "Tight as hell..." I'm packing a Sabre2 210 into an M6 now and it's tight. Better now with a hundred jumps on it but still pretty "optimal." Good luck getting it into an M5. Are you getting a new Sabre2 or are you looking for a used one? Can I watch you pack?

Seriously, my thoughts were the same as you. Jump a 210 for a while and downsize to a 190. That's why I picked a M6 after talking to a Mirage Dealer. Too late to change your order?

Is your exit weight 200-205?
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

From my experience packing Mirage, you should be able to fit the next size up from what is listed as optimal into a Mirage. The hardest part will be putting the canopy in the bag. I've seen and packed a 170 in an M2 and a Velocity 103 into an MX. As for a 210 into an M5, I can't say I have any experience, but my best guess is that it will work if you are ready to put a lot of muscle into it.

The guy I purchased my Safire 2 209 from was packing it into a M5. Not sure exactly how the Sabre compare size wise to the Safire.

As someone else has asked, is 205 your exit weight or naked weight? If it is your naked weight then you could be going a bit small particularly since the Mirage M5 will take a 189 Optimum as it's largest reserve.

I'd do a little more research on this and speak to your instructors. Contact Mirage and see if you can get a bigger size container. If not you probably still have 6 - 8 weeks until you get your rig, you could always try loosing 20 pounds. :ph34r:

The guy I purchased my Safire 2 209 from was packing it into a M5. Not sure exactly how the Sabre compare size wise to the Safire. :ph34r:

According to Mirage's container sizing chart, the Safire 2 and Sabre2 are listed for about the same sizes for each container. The M5 listing a Safire 2 189 as optimal and a Sabre2 190 as optimal. So I guess if he was packing a 209, then a Sabre2 210 should also fit.

As far as weight loss... I'm coming off a stress fracture in my foot from a few months ago, so just getting back into running again.

I also just spoke with Jeannie at Mirage and she recommended that I stick with the M5, especially since I'll probably be downsizing rather quickly and I'll still maintain the ability to downsize to a 170 as well.

Thanks for the input guys.

I have a g3 m5 with a sabre 2 190. It'll take some practice and patience but you'd be able to get a 210 in there.

What size reserve are you using? PDR 176?

One of my instructors suggested I start off with a 193 so I may end up paying extra for a new Optimum 193 for the smaller pack volume into the M5... Oh well...

This post might be on a bit off topic but didn't want to start a completely new thread with a similar topic.

I am looking to buy my first rig - new. Yes, I am also one of those idiots that buys a new car instead of getting it used. I like to KNOW where my equipment has been.

I just wanted to run this by more experienced jumpers to see if my logic is correct...

I only recently got my A-licence (28 jumps) and have an exit weight of around 185. By the time a new rig gets to me I'll probably have 60 or more jumps.

I was thinking of getting a Mirage M5 container with a PD Optimum 193 reserve and a Pilot 210 ZPX main. This means that I could potentially downsize to Pilot 168 after a couple hundred jumps. Don't think that I'll ever be a swooper, and don't know if I'll ever downsize beyond a Pilot 168. In the event that I do I could buy a new rig to accommodate any future downsizes and then use the M5 as a dedicated wingsuit rig.

My two main questions are whether I'll get the Pilot 210 ZPX into the M5 with the PD 193 reserve and if it would be possible to use the M5 as a dedicated wingsuit rig in the future?

Hope this all makes sense, please forgive any ignorance and feel free to educate me.
Everything else is just noise...

This post might be on a bit off topic but didn't want to start a completely new thread with a similar topic.

I am looking to buy my first rig - new. Yes, I am also one of those idiots that buys a new car instead of getting it used. I like to KNOW where my equipment has been.

I just wanted to run this by more experienced jumpers to see if my logic is correct...

I only recently got my A-licence (28 jumps) and have an exit weight of around 185. By the time a new rig gets to me I'll probably have 60 or more jumps.

I was thinking of getting a Mirage M5 container with a PD Optimum 193 reserve and a Pilot 210 ZPX main. This means that I could potentially downsize to Pilot 168 after a couple hundred jumps. Don't think that I'll ever be a swooper, and don't know if I'll ever downsize beyond a Pilot 168. In the event that I do I could buy a new rig to accommodate any future downsizes and then use the M5 as a dedicated wingsuit rig.

My two main questions are whether I'll get the Pilot 210 ZPX into the M5 with the PD 193 reserve and if it would be possible to use the M5 as a dedicated wingsuit rig in the future?

Hope this all makes sense, please forgive any ignorance and feel free to educate me.

Perhaps if you check on Mirage's site you can take a look at their sizing chart:
http://www.miragesys.com/sizing-guide/

:|

Given that the 210zpx will pack about two sizes smaller, it will be a soft to normal fit.
Drop a mail to mirage...

Given that the 210zpx will pack about two sizes smaller

I wouldn't count on that much of a difference.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Mirage G4 M5 Sabre2 210 PD 176r

My first rig - bit tight in the bag, but it worked out once i put some effort into packing. Loved the performance and learned it's flying characteristics for three solid years of soft landings before selling the system to a more novice jumper. Thinking back I suspect you will probably be just as happy no matter what canopy you choose;given their size and low WL they all aren't that different really...[:/]

Attaching some pictures i took before selling. Looks bit round along the edges and she would probably have looked better with a Sabre2 190 or pulse/spectre 210 in it.

Good luck!

My first rig - bit tight in the bag, but it worked out once i put some effort into packing. Loved the performance and learned it's flying characteristics for three solid years of soft landings before selling the system to a more novice jumper. Thinking back I suspect you will probably be just as happy no matter what canopy you choose;given their size and low WL they all aren't that different really...[:/]

Attaching some pictures i took before selling. Looks bit round along the edges and she would probably have looked better with a Sabre2 190 or pulse/spectre 210 in it.

Good luck!

Everytime I see a Mirage...damn this is a fat rig! :P

Good luck!

It's hard to hide a big ass canopy in any of the smaller containers considering all the fabric, do you imply there are other brands hiding it better? :P

I think my current mirage G4 M1 looks ridiculously small on me, clinging on to my back like a little black beetle, barely noticeable :$

Good luck!

It's hard to hide a big ass canopy in any of the smaller containers considering all the fabric, do you imply there are other brands hiding it better? :P

It depends how the fabric gets distributed in a given container.

I think my current mirage G4 M1 looks ridiculously small on me, clinging on to my back like a little black beetle, barely noticeable :$

If you are happy, fine. I think there are differences between the rigs I've seen.
A tiny rig on a wide back always looks tiny :P

I own a Mirage G4.1 M5 and use a sabre 2 190. IT fits very well and I could probably put a 210 in although it would be kind of tight. But depending on your reserve it may fit well. I have a Tempo 210 as my reserve, which is a little bigger than recommend but it fits well. If you had a PDR176 or optimum 193 it should be no problem!