JustPlainChic

Sacrifices for the Sport

I have a question for everyone. At this point in my life I am having to make a big decision that skydiving is a big part of. I have weighed the options and hope I am making the right one. I wanted to know what types of things others gave up, besides their credit scores, for love of the sport?

Laura "Belle"

'Blue Skies'

some non-skydiving friends who got tired of me telling them I couldn't hang out on weekendsand I sold a PS2 with about 50 dvd's two summers ago for jump money. Not really all that much considering what I've gained in return.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

I have 7 jumps. Been doing this for almost a month. Friends are already feeling a tad put out because I am never free on weekends, and when I am free I dont have any money to do anything anyway! Last weekend I cancelled a couple of hours before a free cruise with free unlimited alcohol because I wanted to jump the following day (aswell as that day!) and didnt want to have a huge night. Needless to say, my friends were unimpressed, but I had an awesome day jumping the following day!

I've sold 1/4 of my cd collection already and have another 25 cds ready to sell as soon as I can get to the store.

I am planning on either re-financing my car or getting a seperate loan to pay for a rig. Hate to see what I'll be sacrificing once I really get hooked after a few hundred jumps!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

A 68 Camaro. Any hope of ever owning a vehicle that is worth more than my rig. A motorcycle. Numerous meals. Several discs in my spine. Some friends. Sobriety. A telephone (for a year or so).

Oh and any possibility of ever living a "normal" life...

Girlfriends, social life outside jumping, any hope of ever being understood by my family. That sort of stuff. Minor stuff really.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I have not given up anything that I consider not worth giving up. If I get to the point that my obssession starts to cost me the relationships I have with my wife, kids or God, or begins to affect my ability to pay my bills and provide for my family then it will be too costly for me to participate in this sport. Anything less than that really does not matter because I am only talking about things or relationships with people that are fleeting.

I only have one truly close friend outside of those mentioned above and he started skydiving less than a week after I did so no worries thereB|.

don't realy think skydiving has cost me too much.. i could get a better apt/house to live in and i could drive a nicer car but whati have works and is comfortable........ only thing i could see would be the time i haven't spent with my family but it's not that much maybe a day or two...... heck i only go home to visit every once in a while so when i do i also jump a day or two so that is where it gets lost.....