prepheckt

How do I motivate myself?

Hi everybody, I need some advice. To put it bluntly, I just don't care anymore..... I'm sitting here in front of my computer trying not to do my work, (4 15 page final papers). I have no motivation anymore to work(a lot of my classmates feel this way too, they've punched out). I just want to leave this place as quickly as I can. After 4 years of this place, which gets to you, my care factor is just dying....I'm not sure what to do. It's like senioritis in high school, but a billion times worse, and every day that I get closer to graduation it gets worse (28 days left) I guess this is just my bitch of the day...thanks for listening.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

That's part of the problem, the weather has been absolutely beautiful, and everyone has cabin fever....I do have money, but I can't spend it, graduation is going to be expensive. I have to buy tickets to our graduation banquet for my family and friends, stuff like that.
-9 toes

After 4 years of this place, which gets to you, my care factor is just dying....I'm not sure what to do. It's like senioritis in high school, but a billion times worse, and every day that I get closer to graduation it gets worse

Wish I could tell you it ends after school... Fact is, it'll do that with work; your first job, your next job, your next job. There will come a point in time that no matter how much you enjoy what you do, at some point it'll feel like something you have to do and you'll lose motivation. You'll hit periods like this (edited to add:), but it's temporary.

As Winston Churchill said, "If you're going through hell, keep going."

You'll get through it...you almost are...keep going.
-C.

You're right, but there is one major difference then what you discribe....you and everyone else gets to separate your professional life from your personal life. In other words, you don't live in your office..I do....I'll make it through....somehow, it would be a waste to quit now, not to mention the $350,000 it cost to get me this far...
-9 toes

What got us through the many months of long runs, training, and bullshit -

look at your buddy on your right. look at your buddy on your left. They are counting on you. They will need you. It may be just a term paper, but don't let them down. It's easy to let yourself down, but when you're buddies are counting on you - makes it much tougher to quit.

As for the academic stuff - after 12+ years of it - well, it sure beats sitting in a foxhole with water up to your chin.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

pre,

i'll trade ya..... you take a future 1/2 pay cut and can come shedule 100+ people for all thier training and have to answer to the CMSGT and i'll come and take a 100% pay raise and be a new lt and expected to know nothing.... deal???????? didn't think so..... just gut it out..it's only 4 papers.. get em over with and then it's done for good!!!!!!!

I just crossed off the 15th and final project / project component from my list this semester (lab demos, formal presenations, and written papers for five seperate classes in the same semester) And it is still the best feeling in the world even after all these years, to come out successfully on the other side of that kind of challenge.

Two weeks ago I wanted to crawl in a hole and die. But now, even though I've slept a total of about 5 hours since Sunday morning, I can't fall asleep because I'm so wired.

Hang in there bro!

Mark the days on a calendar and cross them off as they pass. Seeing them on a page puts the 28 day period in perspective and you can actually see how short a time that is.

And set goals for yourself.

I did three years of college and told myself i'd travel afterward. As soon as i was done i did three months in the East - saw the most irie beaches and far off places.

I came back refreshed and ready to get a job. Got one, changed cities and told myself i'd do two years in an office and then travel again. It's two years this month and if everything goes according to plan i should be in the USA buy the end of June aiming to spend some time as a dz bum.

This kind of thinking has got me through.

Just my .02 ;)

Best of luck with the final papers!!! :)
peace out
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Just go into your bathroom, look into a mirror and practice this phrase, "Would you like fries with that?"

LOL, too funny, but very good idea, I think I might try that one every so often.

My advice would be to take a day off. It sounds like you have enough time to do that. Take one whole day and do nothing related to school, go do things that you enjoy and relax. It may sound like a simple thing, but it used to help me a lot when I was going through school.

One more thing..... $350,000???? I thought I owed a lot of money when I graduated!!!! That is just insane. Is that all from school or does that include other things?

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Bro,
You have got to stay in it for the long haul. Believe me it will pay off. This is comming from a guy who started college in 89 from Cal to the Phillipines (PU) and felt like you did.

Motivation comes from within, factors such as music, motivational speakers, women, ect, they are all external factors and will not be there when its just you and the task at hand. You have to think in terms of do I WANT TO SUCCEED or do I WISH I WAS SUCCESSFUL. You have an opportunity broaden your mind, to enhance your chances of success down the road.

Motivation is that little voice inside that tells you, just a little longer, or you can do better. Believe in yourself. The strength you need to continue towards that goal is there, what your feeling now is nothing more than an obstacle, find a way to move around it or run it the hell over but dont let it stop you from getting to the finish line.

Small story:
I wanted to earn my 100 mile t-shirt. I was in the middle east training in 120 degree heat 5 days a week running in the desert 3-8 miles and on 1 day I ran 12 miles. You know what my motivatation was? My motivation was not giving up on my goal. No matter how miserable it was and it fucking sucked big time where I was. I never gave up. When I earned that 100 mile t-shirt it was a joyous moment for me because I was never a fan of running and I have grown mentaly stronger from that. Now Im up to swimming 30 miles a week, running 15 miles a week. Where does this motivation come from, MYSELF!!!

We all get burned out sometimes, and at times it is good to take a break from it all, but I will tell you that if you stick with it, it will only make you stronger. Never quit, because quiting gets easier and easier.

The question now my young jedi, are you going to let this obstacle stop you from getting to the finish line?