skyesspot

AFF Question

Okay, so now that my AFF is on the horizon... I have been wondering how many people get thru thier AFF in the number of jumps the course recommends.

For example, I will be doing the 8 jump AFF course, but I doubt I'll get thru it in 8 jumps. :P

How many jumps did it take you to get thru your AFF vs. how many jumps was it suppose to take.
Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

As you can see, I only have 5 jumps but im going to reply anyway. Passed all of them, no problem. just go over the dive flow over and over, you will be fine and of course pull. You can do it. Only thing for me is the 30day rule.

[sarcasm]If the JM tries to pull for you, slap em on the hand like they do to you to get you to check your altitude [/sarcasm]

Good Luck!

Clint S.
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

I passed every level on the first try. I did a 7 jump course, butit actually took me 8 jumps. I was uncurrent because of a move and new job.

L1-L6: passed
Uncurrent
L6 repeat Passed
L7 Passed

Thats my story.....and dont worry if you "fail"...take something from it and learn from it. After all it makes you a better skydiver. Learn, enjoy, and most of all smile while your doing it......its an awesome thing!
Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

AFF jumps, if you have to repeat a jump, that's just it a repeat. It isn't a "fail" its an opportunity to truely learn something.

Look at it this way, if you breeze through it, what have you really learned? AFF is the building blocks for the rest of your skydiving career.

So quit worrying, just do it and if you repeat a few, screw it, you're learning something that will only help you later, not to mention jumping is fun.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi Skye! I'm so excited that you get to start AFF!

I can't wait to get to share the experience of what actually goes on up there with you.

As for me I didn't have to repeat any jumps but I think it was because I was too scared to move very much in the sky :S. My boyfriend at the time ended up repeating 2 of them, one was because he couldn't stop spinning and I think it was Connie that had to pull him on another but I can't remember for sure. I'll have to ask him.

Don't worry, you're going to do great. You have great instructors and you're surrounded by a plethora of information. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

if you have to repeat a jump, that's just it a repeat. It isn't a "fail" its an opportunity to truely learn something.

So true. I am doing AFF now. Here, its a 9 stage (11 jump) course. I just had to repeat stage 7, but it was my funnest jump yet. I would rather repeat it and learn than pass it and not be confident in my abilities. You'll have a blast, and dont worry if you dont pass it all first go, skydivings not as easy as it sometimes looks!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Don't worry, you're going to do great. You have great instructors and you're surrounded by a plethora of information. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

He-he! you said "plethora" and actually used it in a sentance, around skydivers. Who you tryin to impress? :D:D

but I passed my 7 jump course in 7 jumps and 2 weekends. Loved it. My key was relaxing. That made it all better.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I did IAF and didn't fail anything. I made it all the way to my 3rd jump off student status before I plowed myself into the runway. :S:P

Don't worry if you have to repeat a level. Good luck! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I passed my 7 jump AFF course in 8 jumps. I found out when my instructors released me on level 3 just how stable they were keeping me. :D Apparently, I felt they didn't allow me to do enough 360's so when they released me on level 3, I decided 360's were the way to go. :D:$:D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

8 levels at Perris.

I didn't have any repeats. My issue was actually exiting the plane, rather than freefall. Freefall stuff I could do fine, it was just the "door monster" that got to me sometimes. you can read all about it at my website (linked below).

According to my instructors, they have about 10% of people who make it through with no repeats, and if someone's going to repeat something, they repeat level 4, 5, or 6, usually.

If you have to repeat a level, its just another opportunity to jump with instructors and learn. The jump still counts towards your A, so don't feel like you're wasting time. 90% of people repeat. It's not a big deal!

Did an 8 jump AFF Course, took me 9 jumps to complete. . .who would have thought that I would be so enamored with solo freefall that I would have trouble finding my handle at pull time. . .lol

Anyway, no issues after that. . .just relax and have fun. . .relaxing and breathing are the keys.
FGF #6
Darcy

Wow, it sounds like the pressure is on by everyone else's response. :S I, too finished the 7 level jump course in 7 jumps. But if you don't, its really no biggie. I know people who it took 53 jumps to pass. Everyone assimilates information differently and skydiving was something I conformed to easily only because I was too scared :o to F--- up!

Good Luck:)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Got through it in 8 with no repeats and I'll be teaching you to do it the same way.

Relax, arch, respond to hand signals, complete the targeted learning objectives.

You'll be fine, and you'll have fun, too.

Really. If skydiving was hard, I'd pay somebody else to do it for me.

;)

I did IAF and didn't fail anything. I made it all the way to my 3rd jump off student status before I plowed myself into the runway. :S:P

Don't worry if you have to repeat a level. Good luck! :)

Did you plow yourself into the runway out at Deland?? If so we have something in common heh I'm sure there's more of us out there.:P Mine was on my 3 rd or 4 th jump off student status.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Did you plow yourself into the runway out at Deland??

No, I did it in Titusville. I'm sure I could still find my blood on the tarmac if I looked. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Thanks all of you!! :)
I'm sure I'll get it and I'm not really worried about rushing thru it, just getting it right. GFD is right in that I have so much talent and help around me.

I just can't wait to do it, altho everytime I think about actually going thru with this, my tummy does flip flops. :P
Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

AFF jumps, if you have to repeat a jump, that's just it a repeat. It isn't a "fail" its an opportunity to truely learn something.

Look at it this way, if you breeze through it, what have you really learned? AFF is the building blocks for the rest of your skydiving career.

I must be the only special one here! "Legs out, goddammit!"

But yeah, I must say I'm happy that I didn't wait to be alone to do some of my screwups. Aside from the great backup that AFF-Is are, I also get the play by play afterwards.

A week back I did my first exits without the AFF-I hanging on. The intentional unstable exit went great. Recovered in half a second after the delay. But the next jump had a regular floating exit and I tumbled spectacularly, with my instructor laughing as I kept trying to get back to belly. Passed the level, in any event. So I'm still at 3 repeats, plus 1 recurrency repeat. Had I done the tunnel early on, that probably would have been dropped to 1, maybe 2.

I'd strongly recommend doing the sequence when you can go every weekend, doing at least a couple jumps each weekend. Due to work, weather, and other commitments I was getting in one or two every 2-4 weeks, which is not a recipe for a no repeat sequence.

Well, way back when I was learning how to skydive, they didn't offer Tandems or AFF jumps. I had to learn with the S/L. It was suppose to be five S/L followed by a clear and pull. I hold the record in Colorado for the most S/L jumps to get to my first clear and pull. At one point my JMs were drawing straws to see who was going to tell me to take up a different sport.

Each person learns different. You'll need to relax and go at your own pace.
Keep us posted.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey