ChrisL

The nocturnal visitor that couldnt leave

Got up this morning and came downstairs.
Walked into my dining room and couldnt help noticing that both of my cats were sitting next to the wall looking up toward the ceiling.

Yep, theres a little brown bat (literally) clinging to the wall just below the ceiling. :S
He was actually quite cute, too.
The "Little Brown Bat (Myotis lucifugus)" is the most common bat species found in Pennsylvania.

My policy is to NEVER kill critters if I can help it. I prefer to get em safely home. This includes most things regardless of the number of legs, wings, antlers, or whatever.

If any of you are of the "Just kill the thing" attitude
I hope for your sake that you develop a little more respect for life along your journey.

I dont have quite as much empathy for the two legged variety. Mostly because they stomp though the world
killing everything in sight including each other and leave a giant mess everywhere they go.

Never had a bat in the house before though and I wasnt sure how I could catch him without hurting him. They have VERY delicate wing bones and I was afraid that if I just tossed a blanket over him it might injure him, not to mention that they are so small how would I know where he was in the blanket.
I didnt want to get bitten. Its not likely that it was rabid but they CAN have diseases and I didnt feel like dealing with that so I needed a method that would protect both of us from each other.
I also didnt want to have to be chasing him all over the house so I figured I have to get him on the first attempt.

In the end it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
First thing I did was ask it in a soothing voice to relax because I was going to help it get home.
It cooperated by ramaining where it was for a while so I
dumped the laundry basket on the floor, (my wife was thrilled) moved a chair over by the wall, sloooowly climbed up on the chair and
sloooowly lifted the basket and placed it over the bat till it was flush against the wall.

Then he started jumping around inside and chirping his fuzzy little head off. An odd sound. Kinda like a high pitched cricket.
Anyway, I knew as long as I didnt leave a gap between the basket and the wall that he couldnt get out so I slowly slid the basket down the wall till I could stand on the floor then I slid a towel between the wall and the basket till it covered the top.

Ta da!

Then I just moved to the nearest window, put the top out and pulled the towel away.

Off he went, probably scared and tired, but otherwise none the worse for wear and no injuries.

I felt good :)
Attached pic is not the one I caught, but same size and species. It looked exactly like this one. The hand gives a bit of perspective on how little he really is.
__

My mighty steed

Biting its head off wasnt really an option for me.
That would have been contrary to the whole respect for life thing;)

Try everything Once - Twice if you like it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I can appreciate the respect for life thing, but dayum, why'd you have to shave that poor cat in your avatar

Some cats like to be shaved. My Jelly loves the shaver. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

That's cats, Sunshine, not . . . never mind.

Ugh, you people are sickos!! One of my cats is named Jelly and he likes to be shaved....is that so wrong? :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I woke up one morning to the cat and dog chasing a bat threw the house. I actually just called animal control to come and remove it, but by the time they got there it had managed to find the window it few in and fly back out it.
Fly it like you stole it!

My policy is to NEVER kill critters if I can help it. I prefer to get em safely home. This includes most things regardless of the number of legs, wings, antlers, or whatever.

If any of you are of the "Just kill the thing" attitude
I hope for your sake that you develop a little more respect for life along your journey.

I dont have quite as much empathy for the two legged variety. Mostly because they stomp though the world killing everything in sight including each other and leave a giant mess everywhere they go.

B|B|B|B|B|B|
So I'm not the only person on earth who thinks this way. :)
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

No chance of your cats getting bitten by it is there? Is there any risk of rabies to them?

Good job getting it outside and free. B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nice job, Ace Ventura! Let me know the next time something with antlers strays your way...you can chase him towards me and >BLAM-O!!< we'll have some dinner... B|B|

I'm just teasin' ya, Chris. Glad you didn't hurt it, I like bats...as long as they aren't dive-bombing me like they do at the ocean. Fruit bats in the summer hear in Washington state on the coast go after little children at night, for some stupid reason...:S:P
I had never been bitten, but it sure can scare a 5 year old to tears! :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

No chance of your cats getting bitten by it is there? Is there any risk of rabies to them?

Good job getting it outside and free. B|

The little feller managed to keep a safe distance between itself and the cats.
Once I had em in the basket I got a good close look at it,
not that its conclusive, but it appeared to be well fed and in very good health.
__

My mighty steed