bch7773

scuba diving training

hey i was wanting to get my scuba open water license this summer but i had some questions, and i figured since a lot of you scuba dive, what better place to ask...

I hear the PADI licence is the best one to get... why is that? whats the difference between the two licenses?

How many days did it take you to do your lessons? is it like 4 half day sessions or what?

How difficult was it honestly? did anyone in your class actually flunk out?

how difficult is the swimming section? i can swim pretty well, but someone told me you have to swim the length of the pool like 20 times to get the PADI...

how much did it cost you for the entire thing?

MB 3528, RB 1182

* You either have to be a good swimmer to pass the test or you have to want it. I backpaddled the entire way and when I was done, my face was sweating.

* I believe it's like a week of nights in class / pool plus a couple weekends for real dives.

* I didn't find anything difficult except remembering and practicing staying calm. I'm sure diff things will be tough for diff people.

* I think a decent price is something like 15 jumps to 13k. Then once you get hooked, it's like skydiving only every hour underwater costs like a jump and the gear is not as expensive.

* The heresay I have on PADI vs. NAUI is that PADI is more training and practice, or something like that. Still, I feel the amount of training and practice for PADI is the equivalent of like 4 jumps. ;)

BTW, take this all as knowledge from a complete noob.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I hear the PADI licence is the best one to get... why is that? whats the difference between the two licenses?

The license doesn't matter. They're all recognized. The dive shop and more importantly the instructors are what matters. I've got my SSI cards and have my signed Dive Con rating forms in a file (never sent them in). I've seen PADI, SSI, NAUI, etc. instructors fuck up and students got injured. It didn't matter. The shop I was in focused on the student and the philosophy was take care of the student and in some cases, the instructor/student ration (includes dive cons or divemasters) was 2/1. Students were always paired with a student buddy so they could learn together, but the instructor was always there just in case. Go to several dive shops, ask lots of stupid questions, take referals from friends, etc.

How many days did it take you to do your lessons? is it like 4 half day sessions or what?

2 weekends (fri-sun). One for pool work, one for open water certification dives.

For me it wasn't hard. It all depends on the individual. Is your learning curve a bit 'slow'? I taught a middle aged women to snorkel for a trip to the Carribbean she was going on. she didn't know how to swim and had never been in a pool. I later had her as a student and taught her to dive.

how difficult is the swimming section? i can swim pretty well, but someone told me you have to swim the length of the pool like 20 times to get the PADI...

There's two parts behind this 'test'. One, can you swim and how comfortable are you in the water. Remember, it's just not 'natural' to jump out of moving aircraft.

I'm going to say 500$ for the pool, books, open water and basic gear (mask, snorkel, fins, booties). Spend money on the mask (if needed) and the fins. A snorkel is a glorified straw. The mask should fit you snuggly and not leak. just because the 105$ mask leaks doesn't mean the 60$ mask isn't as good. my current mask was 95$ I believe. The cheaper masks didn't fit my face. Split fins have been proven to be more efficient when moving in the water. They're a bit more money, but worth the expense.

When it comes down to buying the other gear, talk to your instructors. My buddy bought the cheap reg set right out the gate. I waited a couple months and bought the primo set - Reg set, computer (nitrox compat) octopus, BC was around $1500 I think. We took each reg set down to 85' and swapped. With mine, you could not tell the difference from surface breathing to breathing at depth. My buddy's set you could tell. It was more labored at depth.

Continue on and get your advanced rating and stress/rescue. Night diving (covered in advanced) is fun. Nitrox is also a good thing to get. Definately make sure to pay attention to the positives and negatives about it though.

hope this helps~
-----
~~~Michael

* You either have to be a good swimmer to pass the test or you have to want it. I backpaddled the entire way and when I was done, my face was sweating.

Not really

* I believe it's like a week of nights in class / pool plus a couple weekends for real dives.

Different shops do different programs. Check with your dive shop first.

* I didn't find anything difficult except remembering and practicing staying calm. I'm sure diff things will be tough for diff people.

The most important thing is the thing you don't have to think about. *breathe* You have to consciencely hold your breath. You don't have to think about breathing.

* I think a decent price is something like 15 jumps to 13k. Then once you get hooked, it's like skydiving only every hour underwater costs like a jump and the gear is not as expensive.

bottom line, it's another expensive hobby. Depending on your place of residence, you may have to travel a bit to get to a decent (salt water) diving destination. But, it kind of forces you to take vacations to very nice tropical places. B|

* The heresay I have on PADI vs. NAUI is that PADI is more training and practice, or something like that. Still, I feel the amount of training and practice for PADI is the equivalent of like 4 jumps. ;)

they're all about the same. Each has a few things they do differently. PADI has different dive tables than everyone else. Buy a dive computer - you can get a bit 'lazy' on figuring out the tables. SSI was created by some former PADI instructors who were fed up with PADIs inability to modernize and change their instructing methods.
Again, it's all about the instructors. A good one is good, a bad one can be a source of an injury later. BTW, once you start diving, join DAN and pay the little extra money for the better dive insurance. If for some reason you do screw up, you're gonna want the package that will take care of you.

BTW, take this all as knowledge from a complete noob.

hearsay and speculation is cool ;)
-----
~~~Michael

If anything it is the most inferior, but the differences are slight. PADI sets the lesson plan for the instructors; they are not supposed to deviate from or exceed what is listed.

Multiweek courses tend to be better than single weekend ones.

200 yard swim, no stopping. While it has limited application to diving, if you're not comfortable dog paddling such a short distance you are likely to be unhappy in the ocean chop. It's 8 lengths of a half olympic pool.

Everyone here is pretty much right on. If you have anymore questions that weren't answered post them or drop me an IM. I've been an intructor with PADI for 10 years. As far as PADI being the best license I would say there really isn't a best one. PADI is the most recognized one. Some of the other people like SSI or NASDS will get you more technical training and have more stringent requirements before you pass your class. However, PADI's system is a proven method and does work. I've studied just about all of them.

I did a "weekend class" and ended up doing the classroom and pool training all in one day. I wouldn't recommend it. For me it was overload! In order to do the weekend class, you need to do all of the bookwork before you get there, and the class room part was little more than a quick review of the materials and the test. That's a lot of material to cover, but still that part was OK because I did study beforehand. Doing all the pool training in one afternoon was a little too much for me. I got through it and passed, but by the end of the day it was hard to concentrate and things I had no problems with when I first got in the pool were getting more and more difficult! That's just something to consider when you're looking at your options.

I'm actually going to have to do it all over again because I never made my open water dives (I was going to do them on vacation and the plans got messed up) but this time I'll do it over several days and I'll make sure I don't put off my open water dives!

I'm not a fan of the 4-day certification. Most of the instructors I've met prefer students to take the one night a week classroom/pool deal. It's a longer time for things to actually sink in, and students aren't relying on short term memory for emergency skills.

I went through SSI. No regrets with that. The instructors have been nothing less than wonderful. One thing to note is that most of the organizations are interchangeable. IE, you do open water through SSI, you can do Advanced through PADI. PADI is more accessable where I live now and I've been told no problem to pick up with the other org.

Definitely consider a dive computer (eventually). Mine has been irreplaceable. As a newbie, if something goes wrong, you lose a buddy, who knows, you may (unfortunately) have to ascend on your own. COmputers help monitor your ascent rate. If you start diving nitrox mixes, well, you'll need one. As for equipment, it's not as expensive as skydiving stuff. I picked up a pretty cheap BC which works fine for me. Look for local dive shops with clearance tables or tent sales. I got a bunch of stuff at amazign prices.

__

hey thanks for the help everyone... I'm really excited about doing this. I've already scuba dived twice in mexico, and since my dad used to scuba dive, i've already got a nice mask, snorkel, fins, booties, knife, and gloves. and a speargun B|

is there any other gear tips you all know?

right now im looking at this course
PADI, academics and pool in one weekend, open water dives is the next weekend, $323 for everything.

does that sound reasonable? I know that it will be intense since all the classroom/pool stuff is in two long days, but since i've already scuba dived twice, i figure ill be ahead of the class.

what kinda pisses me off is that the open water dives are all in lakes or old stone quarries... I'm two hours from the ocean! i'd much rather check dive there then in some old murky pond.

oh yeah, i can swim 200 yards easy... as long as they don't require the crawl or butterfly... can you do any swimstyle you want? could i backstroke all 200 yardss?

any other good tips or advice would be appreciated

MB 3528, RB 1182

There are many agencies, and all have high standards, the biggest difference is in their individual business practices. The real question you should be asking is; "Do I trust this instructor and do I like this instructor's style of teaching the given agencies material. Did the instructor answer all of my pre-class questions to my satisfaction."

Be sure to ask a lot of questions.
A good reference for possible questions: http://www.newdiver.com/learntodive/

Generally, standard course,two to three weekends, Intensive course, 2-3 days. But a good instructor will state that it should take as long as it takes for you to become comfortable with being underwater with all the gear and the rules.

In my 5 yrs of teaching SCUBA, I have never had someone “fail” the course. I have however, had a few students that took longer to find their comfort level.

If you are considering SCUBA, the swim portion of the class should not be a problem. You are not trying to qualify for a swim team, it is designed to test your comfort and skills in the water. Most agencies allow you to use multiple swim strokes.

It will vary depending on your area. Note that most agencies divide the course up into units:
Classroom and Pool
Openwaters (Final Test of all skills in a real-world environment)
Gear Rental (Normally included in the cost of the Classroom and Pool, but some business/Dive stores do charge extra for gear rental.:(:()

The one thing that I have always tried to express to my potential students is when you decided to learn SCUBA, no matter who your instructor is, remember to have fun, be safe, relax, and enjoy the scenery.

Mansel L. Guerin
SSI Advance Openwater Instructor
AOWI 8413

right now im looking at this course
PADI, academics and pool in one weekend, open water dives is the next weekend, $323 for everything.

what kinda pisses me off is that the open water dives are all in lakes or old stone quarries... I'm two hours from the ocean! i'd much rather check dive there then in some old murky pond.

Where do you intend to dive once you're done? If you're going to the ocean, select a class that does its checkouts there. If you're going to be a once or twice a year resort diver, then it doesn't matter, pick what's convenient. Murky ponds do train you for lower viz than you're likely to see elsewhere.

$323 is in the ballpark, but it's hard to compare just that piece. Many $99 courses hit you with charges for rentals, cert card fee, etc and end up around the same 300 point. In the bay area, when you add in the snorkel gear and hotel, virtually all courses end up in the same 500-600 range for certification.

oh yeah, i can swim 200 yards easy... as long as they don't require the crawl or butterfly... can you do any swimstyle you want? could i backstroke all 200 yardss?

The only requirement is that it be continuous. No time or stroke requirement. People can pass this that probably shouldn't be diving, but if you can do any stroke for that distance you're more than fine. Backstroke can be a pain though in a short 40' pool.

pre dive briefing........

newbie "what if a shark comes after us?"

veteran "I'll just swim real fast!"

newbie "You cant outswim a shark!"

veteran "No, but I can outswim you...."

and yes I did use that line on a shark dive off of New Providence island.......and if looks could kill.....and top of that she accused me of being a smart ass.....go figure!:P
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

pre dive briefing........

newbie "what if a shark comes after us?"

veteran "I'll just swim real fast!"

newbie "You cant outswim a shark!"

veteran "No, but I can outswim you...."

and yes I did use that line on a shark dive off of New Providence island.......and if looks could kill.....and top of that I was she accused me of being a smart ass.....go figure!:P

This is why we teach you to carry a knife. It's not really used as "a tool". If you see a shark you stab your buddy and calmly exit the water.:D

As far as your crash course of 4 days, it can be done. Just be prepared for some long days on your first weekend. I used to teach these all the time but I feel the students retain more on the longer courses. There is a lot of information you will have learn. This course is also prescriptive teaching which assumes that the student has prepared themselves before the beginning of the class.

I know from experience that the weekend class is intense, and even with your two dives I wouldn't recommend it. You are probably paying about $50.00 more to cram all this info into one weekend of instruction, and truthfully, you'll probably get better instruction (that will sink in more) doing it over a couple of weekends for less money. The course I took was supposed to be a 2 day course, but we ended up doing everything in one day. Like I said, it was intense. Sure it looks good on paper to get it done quickly, but....

I'm sure you're going to go that route anyway, so make sure you read and understand the course material before you arrive at class. You will be expected to know it. They'll spend very little time in the classroom, and most of that will be testing, not teaching. They should give you your book and video when you pay for the class.

I do think its a good idea to get those certification dives out of the way soon after the pool and classroom training while its fresh in your mind. The quarries and lakes probably provide a more controlled environment for training dives, but you are lucky to live so close to the ocean!

Have fun! One of my goals this summer is to retake the class and finally get certified. I made 2 dives in Mexico and just loved it!

You are probably paying about $50.00 more to cram all this info into one weekend of instruction...

Just my experience, the weekend 'experience' was cheaper than the extended classes.
Check out the different options. You know your learning curve. Choose the best option that fits your learning curve.
-----
~~~Michael

You are probably paying about $50.00 more to cram all this info into one weekend of instruction...

Just my experience, the weekend 'experience' was cheaper than the extended classes.
Check out the different options. You know your learning curve. Choose the best option that fits your learning curve.

The weekend quickies aren't so bad if you have more experienced buddies to help finish your training afterwards. Unfortunately with the compressed pool time you may only have to demonstrate a skill once, and not even very well (read: donating your octo). If you get lucky or just never make an error in the 2-3 hours of pool time, how do you know how well you'll react in the real thing?

If on Sunday the instructor tries to pitch his AOW class being taught next weekend, you just got ripped off.

The weekend quickies aren't so bad if you have more experienced buddies to help finish your training afterwards. Unfortunately with the compressed pool time you may only have to demonstrate a skill once, and not even very well (read: donating your octo). If you get lucky or just never make an error in the 2-3 hours of pool time, how do you know how well you'll react in the real thing?

If on Sunday the instructor tries to pitch his AOW class being taught next weekend, you just got ripped off.

Different shops have different variations of the same training. My experience (SSI Dive Con - never sent in the paperwork though) everything got repeated over and over and over again. The pool time on Saturday started at Noon and went to as late as 7:00 PM. Sunday would generally start at 9:00 and go to whenever the group was done. The group didn't move on and only went as fast as the slowest student. I've only observed other shops training from the outside, generally during open water dives. Some (read most) of the things I saw other shops doing scared me. The shop I was involved with had enough dive cons that if there was a 'special' student, one dive con could take this person and work individually with them.
On one open water trip, I was observing the gear up of two students under my watch. The shop that setup next to us had 8 students, one instructor, one divemaster. The instructor and divemaster were both in the water yelling at their students to hurry up. All 8 of the students were having difficulty with their gear up. Another Dive Con and myself handed our students off to another dive con and went over to assist these 8 students with their gear up, 3 didn't have their air turned on and didn't check it during their buddy checks. this was their second dive on Sunday so day 2 of open water dives.
It's all about the instructors and the shop. btw, some dive shops contract their instructors, others have them as permanant staff. Get references from friends who are divers and ask lots of 'dumb' questions at the shop. Find one that you're comfortable with and also a training method (cram or extended) that works for you.

I just did my open water a few weekends ago and I had a blast.
I took it through SSI it was a 3 week class. We had class on tuesdays and thursdays. with about an hour and a half to class room stuff and the rest in pool. 6-10 or 10:30. On the Open water, my dive buddy was really really slow. or maybe I am just fast. :P
You have to do some skills in the open water that you practice in the pool, mask clearing and buddy breathing.
we just had to swim 8 laps each lap was like 25 meters I think. and tread water for 10 min.
They make sure you are comfortable with everything, you have to try to flunk out.

Happy diving.
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.