DrunkMonkey

Laptop PC?

Ok, I made it all the way thru my Masters' Degree without having my own PC. I'm moving to a new house, with intstalled cable internet. A few questions:

1. Laptop or desktop?
2. Dell? Gateway? Toshiba? Sony VAIO?
3. What's a good cable internet provider in Albuquerque, NM?
4. What spec's should I seek out?

Thx!

What do you want to do with your computer?
What brands does your local computer store (or best buy / circuit city) carry?

It's funny, there are certainly some brands better than others, I've had a very good experience with the Sony Vaio, but others hate it.
The reason I ask what are you going to do with it, is because if you want to do hardcore video and photo stuff, you might be better off buying a powerful desktop (or even a Mac)
If you just want a computer to postwhore on dz.com and to send emails, get a laptop, with lower specs and save some money on what you buy.

Iwan

1. Laptop or desktop?

If you don't care about mobility, desktop (better bang for the buck).

Toshiba makes a great Laptop. Don't know if you'll find a huge difference in desktops, aside from price/features, etc.

You're not going to have a "choice". It's whoever your cable provider is in the neighborhood as there isn't much "equal access". Don't rule out DSL, you will have a broader choice of providers/prices/packages, etc.

Hell if I know...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Things to consider:

Do you travel a lot?, not enought room in the house? if YES then get a laptop, I recommend TOSHIBA, otherwise, get a nice desktop, and since you're not a hardcore gamer and thiings like that, your system should have a decent graphics card, a good size hard drive, of course DVD player and CDROM burner, my opinion get a DELL.

You have to focus on what you need the computer for, if you type a lot of docs then hard drive size is your main target, asking yourself those questions will allow you to find a suitable system for your needs.

My humble geeky opinion.

Things to consider:

Do you travel a lot?, not enought room in the house? if YES then get a laptop, I recommend TOSHIBA, otherwise, get a nice desktop, and since you're not a hardcore gamer and thiings like that, your system should have a decent graphics card, a good size hard drive, of course DVD player and CDROM burner, my opinion get a DELL.

You have to focus on what you need the computer for, if you type a lot of docs then hard drive size is your main target, asking yourself those questions will allow you to find a suitable system for your needs.

My humble geeky opinion.

I agree with CrazyIvan.. you just need to make a little list for yourself as to what you're going to be doing with it and decide what's best based on that.

From your description it looks like both a desktop or a laptop would fit you, and I agree on Toshiba, they are awesome laptops. So does HP though (now that HP and Compaq are together)

Don't have them sell you a top of the line notebook though, it looks like a 1000 bucks should be sufficient to get you a computer that does what you need it to, and more.

Iwan

Unless you need the mobility or portability of a laptop, definately get the desktop.

Desktops are
1) cheaper
2) more reliable
3) easier to upgrade

In the desktop world, you can not beat the price:performance of Dell.

I would avoid Sony VAIO. I've had a few go accross my desk, and they choose very odd suppliers for some of their components. I've had trouble finding video drivers, for example.

As for specs, I'll give you the same advice I give anyone else.

Buy the most expensive machine that you can afford. That might be a $300 entry-level, or a $3000 gamers delight. Where in that range you'll find yourself is entirely based on what you want the machine to do.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've been a computer junkie for at least 15 years. The only computer thing that revolutionized my life as much as say, a cell phone, was a laptop with wireless networking. Suddenly, the computer isn't something you go to that interrupts your life--it's now just a seamless part of your life.

My vote: laptop with wireless network.

I'd get a Mac, because in addition to being cooler, they're way better, but that's just a personal preference.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've been a computer junkie for at least 15 years. The only computer thing that revolutionized my life as much as say, a cell phone, was a laptop with wireless networking. Suddenly, the computer isn't something you go to that interrupts your life--it's now just a seamless part of your life.

I'd get a Mac, because in addition to being cooler, they're way better, but that's just a personal preference.

laptops are definately nice.. especially b/c you can get them with the "docking station" and use it just like a desktop. (the dock lets you pug in a regular monitor mouse and keyboard into it, and then you just slide the closed laptop onto the dock.) and the mobility is a definate plus.. I've used a few different laptops (toshiba, dell, acer) the dell latitude was a really good laptop, and the some of the toshibas are nice too (i liked the tecras..i don't like the satelites as much..) for the acers, i had a "tablet PC" that was cool, but i wasnt too impressed with the quality..

but, like the others said, it all depends on what you use it for.. i have a desktop at home b/c i wanted to build myself something really powerful.. but for most uses and everyday stuff i would recomend the laptop.

edited to say: definately also have to agree on the macs.. they're not so proprietary anymore since they're based on unix now, OS X is super super cool, and their architechure is awesome.. they cost a little bit more, but they are worth it.

-Seth :)

My vote: laptop.

I second that. I love my Sony Vaio. I'm using it right now! I don't have wireless, though. I have cable.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

laptops are definately nice.. especially b/c you can get them with the "docking station" and use it just like a desktop. (the dock lets you pug in a regular monitor mouse and keyboard into it, and then you just slide the closed laptop onto the dock.)

And if you're willing to jockey with 3-5 cables when you settle down at your desk, you can save the $100 you would have spent on the docking station and use it for jump money. On many laptops the dock is primarily for convenience.

I recently shopped for a PC for my sister and it turned out the cheapest/best deal we could find was an IBM b/c they had a promotion for a free 512 MB ram upgrade. Came in at around $450 with the monitor + shipping IIRC. So do some homework and see if you can get hooked up with a promotion...sites like http://www.gotapex.com sometimes have pretty decent deals on them from major manufacturers.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Yep. My desktop is collecting dust 'cause the laptop is way to convenient.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I second that. I love my Sony Vaio. I'm using it right now! I don't have wireless, though. I have cable.

same here.
bought my sony vaio in november. not long after, my pc died. i just started using my laptop all the time.
i haven't got a printer hooked up to it, that is the one thing i miss.

i DID BUY a new pc in february. it sat in the boxes until last weekend when my daughter set it up in her room.
we connected her to mine via a wireless set up.

ok computer whiz's ... when i disconnect my laptop (IE the WIRED computer) she will basically be disconnected from the internet, right? i haven't figured out how to run her pc in the other room, from the wireless box, if it isn't connect to my "wired computer"
IS there a way???
sorry for crashing the thread with a question :S
thanks for any advice :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Vote 3 for a Sony Vaio - I've got two of them and hardware wise they've been reliable machines. Check out Ubid.com for auctions and such. Both mine are refurbs and got them for 5-600$ off retail.
-----
~~~Michael

1. Laptop or desktop?

You need to provide more info. What do you want to do with this system? Business apps? Games? Video editing?

Do you "Really" need portability? (A desktop will always give you a better display for equivalent $$$) LCDs suck for high frame rates, video and/or games, compared to a CRT or 2 (Dual headed display adapters rock).

As for architecture, look to AMD64, either it Athlon64 or Opteron. It is a brand new architecture and provides a future for growth. P4 and K7 are on their last legs.
Lou

ok computer whiz's ... when i disconnect my laptop (IE the WIRED computer) she will basically be disconnected from the internet, right? i haven't figured out how to run her pc in the other room, from the wireless box, if it isn't connect to my "wired computer"
IS there a way???

Hard wire the Desktop to the internet. Use a wireless connection for the laptop.

Blue Skies Black Death

Buy the most expensive machine that you can afford. That might be a $300 entry-level, or a $3000 gamers delight. Where in that range you'll find yourself is entirely based on what you want the machine to do.

I agree with Andy
Get the baddest thing you can afford at this time it'll last you longer. If you get a desktop Leave yourself plenty of room for upgrades in the future.
I bought a Dell in 1998 and through upgrades I've been able to keep up with the technology. Although I don't game much with it(thats what the Xbox is for)it does do what I ask of it

Blue Skies Black Death

Almost all my computer time is on my laptop. I have had it for almost 5 years now. Its only a 500 MHz but it rocks (thinkpad)

Only time I ever use my desktop is to burn CDs and to play games. If I had a brand new laptop I might not even have to go to it then. I still think that overall desktops are more powerfull but its hard to tell any difference. Just make sure if you get one to get one that has a keyboard you like. So many laptops have shit keyboards.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka