FlyinNover

Jumping on FoxNews right now!

Turn on FoxNews if you can. Fmr. President Bush is jumping today in College Station, TX. They just showed Brit Hume do a tandem with a GK.

Bush was going to do a solo (maybe AFF, but FN said solo), but it's windy and he'll do a tandem instead.

---Michael

Bush was supposed to do an AFF level, and has already done a tandem this morning. The wind picked up, though, so they scratched his AFF and will be doing a tandem shortly.

Chuck Norris has done a tandem, as has Brit Hume. Interesting hearing a professional commentator/broadcaster comment on the experience...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Interesting hearing a professional commentator/broadcaster comment on the experience...

Ciels-
Michele

I agree, it was really cool listening to him speak about his experience and show the footage of the landing...I especially liked the part where the one guy (Chris?) said there was 2:1 odds that he wouldn't jump...:D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r:

~R+R:P...

edited because I can't spell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Turn on FoxNews if you can. Fmr. President Bush is jumping today in College Station, TX. They just showed Brit Hume do a tandem with a GK.

Bush was going to do a solo (maybe AFF, but FN said solo), but it's windy and he'll do a tandem instead.

---Michael

It's on CNN too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think Brett Hume needs to wear the black jumpsuit next time.. that Yellow one is showing a definite need to do some situps lots and lots of situps....Dark Colors Brit.. Dark Colors...they help hide those little "figure flaws"

On the other hand.. Chuck Norris is lookin good in his yellow suit;)

I wonder if we'll see the him hangin at the beer tent this year at Rantoulio?????

I wonder who the guy with the black ballcap was who got his head in the way of the FOX camera at the critical moment?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That always pisses me off everytime the media covers jumping, they don't seem to know where to point the camera. Still coooool though, way to go GHWB!!B| Don

I was thinking that watching one of the landings, I think it was Bush's. The cameraman had no idea where the tandem was going. They should have just given the camera to one of the videographers.

Why no swoops? Brit Hume was doing the play-by-play setting us up to watch a swooper....but none of the Gks did.

---Michael

College Station Winds:

2 PM Jun 13 SSW 9
1 PM Jun 13 SSW 9
Noon Jun 13 S 10
11 AM Jun 13 SSW 10

The winds were at 18kts early this morning, but nice from 12 till now....

Great footage and super advertising for the sport!
Congrats to Pres. Bush!

Buck

---Michael

Did they get him out of the plane without bashing his head on exit?

Michael

Bush parachutes for 80th birthday
Former president could not go solo
Sunday, June 13, 2004 Posted: 2:58 PM EDT (1858 GMT)

Former President George H.W. Bush lands successfully.

(CNN) -- Former President George H.W. Bush celebrated his 80th birthday Sunday by parachuting twice onto the grounds of his presidential library.

Both great leaps were made in tandem with more experienced jumpers from the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute team from Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

After the jump Bush encouraged others. "Don't just sit around watching TV talking to it. Get out there and realize at 80 years old you still got a life. And that is what this was about.

"I like speed and I like the thrill of it, but that second part is, I think it sets an example for older people... because you are 80 years old that doesn't mean you are out of it, out of the game."

Stiff winds led Bush to cancel plans for the second jump to be done solo.

Bush's first jump occurred at 7:45 a.m. (8:45 a.m. ET) and his second at 1:20 p.m. (2:20 p.m. ET).

His exit from a twin-engine DeHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter turboprop plane traveling at 120 mph at an altitude of 13,000 feet was made in the company of six soldiers, three of whom had cameras attached to their helmets.

About 60 seconds of free fall were followed by five to eight minutes of gliding onto a landing on a grassy field, near where he plans to be buried.

Two Secret Service agents accompanied Bush on the plane, but did not jump.

Several hundred people, including former first lady Barbara Bush, witnessed the event.

Also watching the jumps was former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, who said he turned down an invitation from Bush to participate as a jumper. "I'll consider it maybe for his 90th birthday," Gorbachev told reporters.

Bush's second jump was preceded by separate jumps by actor Chuck Norris and Fox News Anchor Britt Hume, both of them also done in tandem.

The leaps marked Bush's fourth and fifth parachute jumps.

The first wasn't planned. As a Navy pilot during World War II, Bush bailed out of his plane when his torpedo bomber was hit by anti-aircraft fire south of Japan. His two crewmen died.

Bush last jumped on June 9, 1999, in celebration of his 75th birthday.

Last week, Bush told CNN's Larry King he wanted to send a message that "just because you're 80, that doesn't mean you can't do fun stuff or interesting things."

With his five official jumps, Bush has enough to earn a skydiver's pin.

Asked whether his father would indeed celebrate a future birthday by jumping again, Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida told reporters, "I hope so. ... I want my dad to live forever."

Bush's jump actually came a day after his birthday, which he celebrated Saturday in Houston with a gala dinner at Minute Maid Park, home of the Astros.

Gorbachev, Major attend celebration
A number of foreign dignitaries attended, including Gorbachev and former British Prime Minister John Major.

Other famous faces on hand included comedian and CNBC host Dennis Miller, tennis star Chris Evert and pro golfer Greg Norman.

The guests were entertained by stars of country and Christian music, including singers Clint Black, Vince Gill, Amy Grant and Yolanda Adams.

Proceeds from the event will go to the George Bush Forty-One endowment, which helps fund the George Bush Presidential Library Foundation, the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the Points of Light Foundation.

Jim McGrath, a spokesman for the group "41@80," which helped organize the events, said the 41st president "remains actively involved in all three of these organizations."

In light of former President Ronald Reagan's death, McGrath also said on the group's Web site: "Given the charitable nature of these events, we believe President Reagan would be the first to say 'the show must go on.' "

.-.

With his five official jumps, Bush has enough to earn a skydiver's pin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never got my "skydiver's pin."

Then what holds your parachute in the container??:o
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

yep, him and daddy need to get together and do that !!!
HOW Cool would that be???

from AF1?? that would rock!!

I loved listening to SR talk about his jump..... Even HE didn't really have the words to describe what it feels like... you just have to do it.!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

"three of whom had cameras attached to their helmets.

About 60 seconds of free fall were followed by five to eight minutes of gliding onto a landing on a grassy field, near where he plans to be buried. "

was any of the FF footage broadcast ??? or did i just miss it???

and what was up with the Secrect Service not jumping??? :S wimps :P;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit