lewmonst

What dropzones offer AFF for big students, 245 lbs?

Karen,

Did you check with Blake at Otay? I know in the past SD San Diego has had gear available for the big students... I believe well in excess of 245lbs. However, that was at least a couple years ago, ...wouldn't hurt to ask.

Russ

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

Lew,

I'm not sure there's any DZ in the US that can offer an opportunity for a "FAA TSO C23d for up to 350 lb. gross weight at 150 kts." For example, my home DZ has a VIII, whereby the weight limiting factor of the harness is defined by the reserve max. So, for example, our VIII has a PDr-281 (therefore, max weight is 300#) with a PD 300 F111 main which has (if memory serves a 304 max weight), so we cannot go over the 300 total exit reserve max weight.

While an advocate for the Anvil Brothers; over 300, you're looking at a two choices, 1) the MC-4, or a modified tandem rig (which there's not a lot of DZs willing to go thru the mod expense for the occasional one-time cargo drop).

If I can be of further assistance, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell number to see what I can do to help or give you a better azimuth.

Keith "Bigun"
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hey Keith,

THanks for the reply. I was speaking specifically of the harness/container TSO. I understand the canopy weight limits. We have canopies (up to 300#), but our limiting factor is the harness TSO right now (category B for up to 254#) The student we are trying to accomodate is 245 without gear. So around 275 with gear.

I am also actually interested to find a tandem rig modified for solo jumper, if you know who has done that already?

Thanks for the reply.

Karen
http://www.exitshot.com

>I am also actually interested to find a tandem rig modified for
>solo jumper, if you know who has done that already?

This was done for us for a very large jumper (280 pounds) in San Diego. It was basically a Vector tandem harness (pre-Sigma) without tandem fittings. It included a belly band. I don't know where the rig is now. Terry Natshke (pilot at Otay) might.

>but our limiting factor is the harness TSO right now (category B for up
>to 254#) . . .

I believe TSO C23b had a standard and low speed category but no weight limit. TSO C23c had the 254 pound limit, and was further divided into categories A, B and C. C23d has no weight limit other than what the rig is designed and tested to.

So a C23b or C23d rig might do the trick. If I recall, older Racers were C23b.

Vectors are also under the C23b certification so they should only be limited by the reserve canopies.

Lew, Javelins (Post Oct 2001) are certified to 300lbs provided the reserve is rated to the same. You might want to ask around to see if someone has a Javelin, Vector or Racer that they can rent you that holds a PD281 or similar canopy that is rated to the 300lb mark. Over 300 lbs and you would need to look for the MC-4 or tandem thats been converted. UPT/Strong would be a good resource to find one of those at.

From the Jav owners manual:

Max Operating Exit Weight of : 300 lbs (136 kg)
and
Max Operating Speed of: 170 knots (198 mph)
with
Average Test Peak Forces Measured: 7628.5 lbs.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com