cocheese

We're you ever a whuffo ?

I was a whuffo, if you ask me what I think of skydiving 5 years ago....I'd probably say that you're insane.

Growing up, I lived a very shelter life....my mom was very protective so therefore, I wasn't allowed to try anything fun/different/adventurous. However, people do change. My whole perspective of life changed after I had my son. It was then that I thought life is too short not to try anything/everything at least once just to say that "I've been there, done that!"

I was fortunate enough to have met & became friends with the friends that I have now, b/c they have allowed me to be myself and encouraged me to try different things.

So, I was introduced to rock climbing, white water rafting (level 4+-5 is awesome), target shooting (now I'm working on becoming a marksman & own 4 guns), and last but not least - skydiving...last year when a friend said "wanna go skydiving?", my immidiate response were: "sure, let's go!" - I've been hooked eversince, now holding an "A" license and jump every chance I get.;)
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

I'm so proud of you. I went to check your name and just found out yet another Cali girl has got my attention. I swear i 'm getting signs here also to go to Cali ASAP. Something is going on ! So like you said life is short..... jump a lot. See you there soon. Life is short ( but It's the longest thing you'll ever do ). Must book trip to Cali ..... Heading to the dz now to get some altititude/atitude and back adjustments. See ya all Monday.

I was warned that my trampoline would be taken away if i was caught jumping from the roof to it once more. Was warned again for encouraging my younger brother to do so. It was finally confiscated when i made a jump from the trampoline up to the roof Ahhh...good times

;););) frontloop, or backloop? ;););)

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

nah, never was. I always knew I would skydive, I just waited for the opportunity to come along. Same thing with a lot of other things.

My dad built us a big swing in the backyard, and we would often try to go "all the way around". My older brother told me he had done it, and I need to try. I got hurt several times. I also would swing Very high on it, (it was a pretty tall swing), and then jump of, (My older army bro showed me how to PLF). Fun stuff. I might go do it now....mmm...

laters!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Hi Jeff,
It was my understanding that we "all" were whuffo's until we made that first fling from an airchine'. After reading some of these posts I see where a lot of us, myself included, did some hair raising (on our parents and significant others e.g. aunts and grandmothers) things that led us on the path to the big blue sky! When I was about 5 years old, my neighbor Graham (aka Pompy), his brother Garland and I would climb this big mulberry tree in his yard and play paratroopers jumping from the big fork smashing into the ground below! Wow, what a rush! How we didn't break any bones is beyond me!! The mulberry tree got blown over by a hurricane in 1953 but I'm still here.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

It was my understanding that we "all" were whuffo's until we made that first fling

That's what I was thinkin' too, like virginity until you have sex for the first time. But I was always jumping out of trees, off garage roofs, bailing out off swing sets (great fun), watching "Ripcord" on Friday nights, and constantly making parachute toys with cellophane, string and toy soldiers. Any time I ever saw somebody jump on TV or those rarest occasions when I'd see a real live parachute on some ride in the car with my family, I'd just go nuts. Ever since I knew what a parachute was, which I guess was about age six...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Never really wore the big "W"

Built my first hang glider in 1974 from a picture in Popular Mechanics - talking about all those crazy california people doin' this thing called "hang gliding"

They were made from bamboo poles, polyethaline film, and tape, and yes, you really did hang by your armpits over two bamboo rails (for those of you too young to remember!). My brother and I built it the best we could considering our local supply limitations in Philadelphia.

Build it just like the picture: $50
Finding a pilot to fly it: 5 minutes
Feeling your first crash and burn: Priceless

Been flying aircraft ever since - Skydiving only a natural extension!

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

I already knew 90% of what was taught in the dope rope class.

I did it the weekend I turned 18.

If only I had known they would not check my age.

Definitely not ever a whuffo.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

It was my understanding that we "all" were whuffo's until we made that first fling from an airchine'.

No, being a whuffo means you don't understand why someone would want to do it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Never a Wuffo... though I didn't do some of the crazy... (ok... bad word choice...) extreme... (no... that's sort of a relative term too...) hmm... well what y'all have done isn't really the point...

I think I'd always wanted to do it... I just 1. didn't realize that it wasn't all that expensive to get into the sport... and 2. I suppose I more or less needed a nudge... someone to say... "if you want to do it... you should do it..." well I did it and I ain't turning back... I've done a lot of this sort of thing lately.

there's a bit more things that I should be doing... like winning the lottery... I've always wanted to do that :D

Icon
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Seeing how I got in trouble when I was 8-ish for jumping off the roof with my backpack and a hefty bag...nope, never a whuffo.B|

--------------------------------------------------------
You beat me, I did it at 10 with an umbrella, Several times. Thats where I learned to PLF;)

Well as a kid I also jumped from our roof into a 3 foot deep above ground swimming pool. Untl my brother hit the sides and collaped the pool. We also threw ourselves off of cliffs into water. And I had a recurring dream all through my childhood of running down a steep slope and having my hands in my jacket pockets, then spreading them out and tracking (flying) down the slope. I used to love those dreams:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

that would be the frontloop. the one that really pissed off the parents was when i told my 12 yr old brother that i would give him the rest of my french fries if he did it(where's that evil face?):P ahhh, fond memories, good times.....

woa....that was cool....

I was possibly one of the worst before I made a jump. Never considered skydiving, way too afraid of heights. It was only thanks to a good friend of mine making it vitrually impossible for me not to jump that i got to actually try it... and of course love it :$

I remember asking that age old question: so what happens if both cutes fail? are you going to teach us what to do then? :)

yeah i was a whuffo... hehe

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie