Gawain

Should Guys Know Certain Things?

This is one of the most sexist questions and some of the most sexist responses I've read in quite some time.

I have an eleven year old daughter. I'm teaching her how to do just about everything...without all the sexist overtones expressed in this thread.

She takes ballet, tap and jazz lessons. She's a straight A student. For the last three years she has won the physical fitness award for her class...not just for the girls...for all the kids. She loves flying, hot air ballooning, driving a 4-wheeler very fast, boogie boarding and dressing up in high heels. She can use a hammer, a saw, knows wrenches and how to use a drill press.

Best of all: she can't wait to jump out of an airplane and to fly my ultra-light.

Really, shouldn't we all be able to do the stuff attributed to men as described here?

I can't claim ownership of the following but this is pretty much how I look at life:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Robert A. Heinlein
[Notebook of Lazarus Long]

Get the idea?

Guru312
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Really, shouldn't we all be able to do the stuff attributed to men as described here?

Nope. My fire building and stoking secrets are off limits to anything with estrogen in it. :P

Young men should trained in all facets of manhood including mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, outdoor skills, drunkeness

This used to be the case until for about a decade there the "90's man", sensitive, Hugh Grant types were in fashion. That's when we were required to learn about emotions and feelings, astrology, art and an appreciation of fine wines. All those wasted years.

If it gets you laid, what's the problem?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Good grief.

Don't forget to teach your daughter that it's okay to have a guy open the door for her when she starts dating okay?

My post is hardly "sexist" and I've no control over any tongue-in-cheek responses construed as sexist by anyone.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Guys should be able to grill a steak, they should be able to work on their cars/trucks (atleast beable to change tires, change oil, and do minor repairs/mods like welding up a new exhaust system).

Guys should know how to shoot, they should be able to drive a stick.

Guys do not have to know anything about interior design, beyond mounted game on the wall and cinderblock/plank wood shelves.

A guys should be able to do basic carprenty, basic plumbing and basic home repair.

A guy should be able to weld and work with metal to a point.

A guy should be a guy!

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

--Robert A. Heinlein, Notebook of Lazarus Long

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Guys should be able to grill a steak, they should be able to work on their cars/trucks (atleast beable to change tires, change oil, and do minor repairs/mods like welding up a new exhaust system).

Guys should know how to shoot, they should be able to drive a stick.

Guys do not have to know anything about interior design, beyond mounted game on the wall and cinderblock/plank wood shelves.

A guys should be able to do basic carprenty, basic plumbing and basic home repair.

A guy should be able to weld and work with metal to a point.

A guy should be a guy!

Agreed. And that's just a start.

Guys should be able to do all that, overhaul a synchro transmission, cut down full-grown trees, change struts and ball joints, do quantum mechanics problems in their heads, fly a plane and helicopter, and work a sewing machine too!

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-- Lazarus Long in Time Enough For Love

Weak men who can't change a tire or jump start a car should be removed from the gene pool!

Really? So let's turn the tables....I can change a tire, change my oil and know how to use jumper cables. Do I have to give up my female card?;)

If you can pack - we're gettin hitched!:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Absolutly, and be able to carry at lease fifty pounds

50lbs? Fuck 50lbs!

It should be atleast 100lbs!

I can carry 80. Had to move 30 bags of concrete mix, 80lbs each. The guy who works with me wimped out. I also taught him how to saw 45 and 90 degree angles, set fence posts and build a jig for a repeat custom design. He was a pussy!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

***A guy should be able to make anything happen with a crescent wrench, a phillips screwdriver, hammer, knife and pliers that he could with a box full of tools.

Magyver is my hero!! And Emeril ain't got SHIT on me when it comes to a 22" Weber & a bag of Kingsfords!!!!! ;) Don
Don

Here's to friends!