Gawain

Should Guys Know Certain Things?

Hey I dont' like guns and I'm a guy. I liek cars, bbq's and boobies does that count? I never grew up around guns so I just never felt comfortable around them. My first experience with a gun was at a buddies house when he was playing around with his 45 and tells his roommate to go grab 2 phone books and they're gonna do the trust test. He held up the 2 books and he shot him.

He laid there on the floor, I got up and left. They were fucking with me, firing blanks. I still didn't think it was funny though cause I had never been exposed to guns and won't have known any differently if 2 phone books could stop a 45 or not at 10 yards.

Now computers and cars etc I can tell ya anything about;)

I'm not big on people not being at least competent with a gun, but I can see why you were off-put by these two morons. Anyone with that kind of attitude should probably not have guns.

(And blanks can kill too, you know. They are not, at least, 100% harmless.)

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Weak men who can't change a tire or jump start a car should be removed from the gene pool!

Really? So let's turn the tables....I can change a tire, change my oil and know how to use jumper cables. Do I have to give up my female card?;)

Nope. As long as you can cook, clean, and "satisfy," you get to carry both the Woman AND the Man card! :P

P.S. The"satisfy" part should be both a male and a female requirment. I'm not trying to hold you to something that I'd let guys slide on.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

A mechanical engineer I used to work with could not drive a stick. He once asked me to move his wife's car for him!

He was a design eng in the body group at Honda no less!

Even though we can do it, most do not enjoy rowing a shifter as much as you. How's the CL holding up (edit- holding up to your abuse ;))? Has the 6MT TL been tempting you?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I was joking with a trainer this morning when I was leaving the gym. As he pulled up in his Infiniti G35, I observed an automatic transmission. He's a young fella, affluent, well spoken, etc. So, I ribbed him a little, "You know, you can get this car with a 6-speed."

He said, "I don't like manual transmissions. I get bored with them."

I said, (just to be sly and add an angle to the conversation) "How do you feel about barbeques?"

He said, "I don't know, I don't have one or know how to use one."

I ribbed, "Okay, hand me your 'Guy Card'. You're banned from using a TV remote and must report weekly to Lowe's or Home Depot to look at tools, charcoal-only barbeques."

Then I started thinking, even certain things I don't know much about (like guns) still interest me as a guy. I'm drawn to them. Guns, cars, tools (even though I'm not too skilled), etc...you know, "Guy stuff".

So, should guys know certain things, just by being guys?

I think guys and gals should be free to make their own choices.

But then, I'm a guy and a Registered Nurse, so what do I know?

Michael

A Man Who Cannot, or Chooses not to Drive a Manual transmission in a Sports Car is a poor excuse for a man....
As for tastes of Automobile, I don't think it matters whether you go for Foreign Or Domestic Automobiles - I Myself am a Opel Kind of Guy...

A man without a set of tools also needs som help...

I think my Girlfriend is more manly than I am sometimes. :S:S I drive a Ford Station Wagon, and I make my jump $ by playing with a string Quartet.
=========Shaun ==========

Hey, size isn't everything! How fast it can get up to altitude is important, too!

Oops, my bad!:P You have a point!;)

What if someone ( not me of course) has a big plane and can get to altitude in record time?

A guy should be able to make anything happen with a crescent wrench, a phillips screwdriver, hammer, knife and pliers that he could with a box full of tools.

Bah, A leatherman and a stick of gum is all you'll ever need.... I once ran my car on a stick of gum (used the wrapper to replace a blown fuse).

Guys should be able to grill a steak, they should be able to work on their cars/trucks (atleast beable to change tires, change oil, and do minor repairs/mods like welding up a new exhaust system).

Guys should know how to shoot, they should be able to drive a stick.

Guys do not have to know anything about interior design, beyond mounted game on the wall and cinderblock/plank wood shelves.

A guys should be able to do basic carprenty, basic plumbing and basic home repair.

A guy should be able to weld and work with metal to a point.

A guy should be a guy!

Agreed. And that's just a start.

Guys should be able to do all that, overhaul a synchro transmission, cut down full-grown trees, change struts and ball joints, do quantum mechanics problems in their heads, fly a plane and helicopter, and work a sewing machine too!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A Man Who Cannot, or Chooses not to Drive a Manual transmission in a Sports Car is a poor excuse for a man....
As for tastes of Automobile, I don't think it matters whether you go for Foreign Or Domestic Automobiles - I Myself am a Opel Kind of Guy...

A man without a set of tools also needs som help...

I think my Girlfriend is more manly than I am sometimes. :S:S I drive a Ford Station Wagon, and I make my jump $ by playing with a string Quartet.

Well, a REAL guy wouldn't want synchro on his stick shift, since he can shift faster without it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

REal guys should know how to make their links clicky.:P

I remember when your signature line said something prophetic like: "..and he does not maky thy links clicky shall be cast into a lake of fire..." :D:D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I make my jump $ by playing with a string Quartet.

If it's a Cello you need the wagon. If you can do the "Devil's Trill" then Violin is ok too;)

A real guy should be a defender:
-He should be able to defend a position in debate.
-He should be able to defend himself and those he cares about when debate ceases to work.
-He should know how to use a snap line, speed square, carpentry level, volt meter, and should be able to unhook a ckicks bra one handed without her knowing it.

Young men should trained in all facets of manhood including mechanics, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, outdoor skills, drunkeness

This used to be the case until for about a decade there the "90's man", sensitive, Hugh Grant types were in fashion. That's when we were required to learn about emotions and feelings, astrology, art and an appreciation of fine wines. All those wasted years.