skycat

Hooknswoop for National Director

1. What is the ISP program? Is it tandem progression?

The SIM's can best answer that question, but in a nutshell, a more comprehensive teaching program.

The SIM's can best answer that question, but in a nutshell, a more comprehensive teaching program.

2. What did the AFF-I requirements "used to be"?

Much more difficult than they are now.

At the 2001 PIA symposium, one of the presentations (that I didn’t go to) was about the shortage of Instructors. In response USPA, under pressure from DZO’s lowered the standards to be an AFFI. DZO’s didn’t want to pay more to keep staff or treat them better to keep them from quitting, so they had USPA lower the standards so there would be more AFFI’s. Another case where USPA had to choose between skydivers and DZ’s and skydivers lost.

Derek

If people are serious about changes at USPA, then vote in a completely new set of ND's that will make those changes. I neither could be nor want to be a ND. So far, the track record has been to elect people that maintaint he status quo.

Not entirely true, Derek. We have Mike Mullins (ND) and Gary Peek (RD) as two that I am sure are NOT happy with the status quo. We ARE edging towards change, but without people such as you running, we have little choice but to maintain the norm. Even if you don't vote, the "norm" just keeps coming back.

In order to effect change, we need people that not only want change, but are willing to try and get it. I know you want change. I think Bill's motivations would be equally good, but I fully understand if either of you do not run.

Sadly, one of the best possible sparkplugs to run for the BOD fizzled at the last elections due to his online brash mannerisms. Yea, Treetop.

We all agree that we need change, but we also agree that we will not see it without change.

If people like you, Bill, tree, ect do not run, there will be no change.

Ad to top it off, Mike Turoff is trying to run again.

Remember the old saying. If someone wants a leadership position, it usually not the person you want in that position.

MikeT=Bad choice.
Bill, Derek, Treetop, Mike Mullins, Gary Peek=good choices.

I think it's time for change.

I appreciate the sentiment, I really do, but I am not the right choice. There are people out there that are the right choice though.

Derek

And, Derek, that attitude is exactly what makes you a perfect choice.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

So is the AFP program which the BOD took and changed. I understand they needed to modify it for smaller DZs, but I still prefer AFP.

I've certainly seen a decrease in talent of instructors since they changed the course.

There are some nice people within the USPA, however there are some that are not willing to let change happen. And there have been some like Roger Nelson, Mike Ortiz, and Mike Mullins that have run for office to make change.

Want change? Do something.

Personally? I still think leading by example will make the biggest impact in the sport. I have yet to see one jumper actually fear or worry what the USPA would say about their actions. I've never heard anyone say "What would the USPA do?" in any situation. Besides, if the USPA looked for additional power or reach into the community that would cause a huge issue and everyone would bitch more about that organization.

But I don't skydive, I won't go to a DZ, these are bad qualities for a ND.

Besides the pay sucks. I've given all I'm gonna give to skydiving. I cashed out while I was WAY in the red.

Derek

Oh I see, your running the reverse psychology campaign:ph34r:

really though derek, its a shame they burnt you out. we need more caring people in our sport
My photos

My Videos

Not entirely true, Derek.

Gotta agree that not all the ND's are worthless.

Me too. It is too easy for a DZO to get jumpers to vote how they want them too (I've seen a DZO zerox ballots and hand them out at manifest for people to sign).

Derek

So is the AFP program which the BOD took and changed. I understand they needed to modify it for smaller DZs, but I still prefer AFP.

Me too, AFP is better. But ISP is beter than old-school AFF.

I've certainly seen a decrease in talent of instructors since they changed the course.

And I've seen AFFI's that would have NEVER passed the old course.

There are some nice people within the USPA, however there are some that are not willing to let change happen. And there have been some like Roger Nelson, Mike Ortiz, and Mike Mullins that have run for office to make change.

I agree.

Want change? Do something.

I am not going to run for ND. My time has passed, if I ever would have run. DZ.com is as far as I am willing to go. There are people that could do a great job out there, they just need to be elected.

Personally? I still think leading by example will make the biggest impact in the sport. I have yet to see one jumper actually fear or worry what the USPA would say about their actions. I've never heard anyone say "What would the USPA do?" in any situation. Besides, if the USPA looked for additional power or reach into the community that would cause a huge issue and everyone would bitch more about that organization.

Very true. But if USPA doesn't do it and demonstrate to the FAA that they are doing it, when (not if, but when) there is a high-profile incident, skydiving might have a chance.

Derek

I wonder how many incidents have been avoided because DZ.com exists?

I also would add that soon the members of Dropzone.com will surpass that of the USPA.
A friends of mine likes to say that "Dropzone.com has a very large microphone" My friend is correct and people are listening.
There are many good choices, people just have to be willing to do the next right thing and not worry if its popular or not.
Just my .02

X's and O's
B2

I'd vote for you....Hell and Bill V as long as he does not bring up Kerry.

Or as long as he does not try to make the otters electric hybrids...I would support a nuclear otter...That would be cool.

Yeah you BOTH run.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'd vote for you....Hell and Bill V as long as he does not bring up Kerry.

Or as long as he doed not try to make the otters electric hybrids...I would support a nuclear otter...That would be cool.

Yeah you BOTH run.

Yep -
(Containing Remarks so as not to fuel too many sig lines:D)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

And I've seen AFFI's that would have NEVER passed the old course

Some of them are just plain unacceptable and that is one of my big issues.

Historically speaking (please add your thoughts Hooknswoop) The USPA was largely run by "Failed DZO's and/or retired military jumpers, looking for some place to "finish their careers". Not sure why we picked these people to run our organization. There were many times when these "leaders" failed our organization horribly.

We also had some wonderful people in the USPA who tried diligently to make progress...and in some cases, came so close until it almost revived my faith in our sport and it's "elected" officials, but these people were endlessly out numbered by the "good old boys" and the changes I believe we needed never came to pass.

In so many ways, I saw the "problems" as being simple;

We have learned to trust the equipment, not the training.
We have decided that "Self-Regulation" means "Participate if you like".
We have made "Supply and Demand" the director of our training programs, rather than "Experience and Ability".
We were voted down by "looking out for number 1" and "conflict of interest"

Hooknswoop, I respect your position on not being a ND because the sport is not your passion as it once was. Hopefully, those in the position of "leadership" in the future might decide to take care of the sport and not their DZ, and they might turn to the "Industry" for the guidance to make the right things happen.

Remember the old saying. If someone wants a leadership position, it usually not the person you want in that position.

MikeT=Bad choice.
Bill, Derek, Treetop, Mike Mullins, Gary Peek=good choices.

It's been time for change for quite some time now.

I don't know Turoff personally, only his online persona, but my gut feeling based on those interactions is that he's more interested in another feather in his cap than in forcing USPA to return to it's roots, i.e. an organization for JUMPERS rather than the trade association it has become. I'm all for Gary Peek and Mike Mullins, Treetop if he runs again, and Winsor Naugler. Bill and Derek would also get votes from me if they expressed a willingness to accept an ND slot.

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm all for Gary Peek and Mike Mullins, Treetop if he runs again, and Winsor Naugler. Bill and Derek would also get votes from me if they expressed a willingness to accept an ND slot.

Eevryone but Treetop has my vote....He contributes alot of noise, but little content in my opinion.

And thats ME saying that.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Very well said.

Interesting to hear the view of a DZO.

Not sure why we picked these people to run our organization.

I think it is because how they presented themselves, ignorance on the state of affairs by the average jumpers, and DZO's ability to influence elections to get people elected that will look after their interests.

Derek

In so many ways, I saw the "problems" as being simple;

We have learned to trust the equipment, not the training.
We have decided that "Self-Regulation" means "Participate if you like".
We have made "Supply and Demand" the director of our training programs, rather than "Experience and Ability".
We were voted down by "looking out for number 1" and "conflict of interest"

Lets make this guy run as well..I mean as long as we are forcing HNS

Well I would vote for Derek. I'm not an active USPA member either. One of my reasons for quiting this wonderful sport was the DZ's in my area. Not saying anything bad about either one. I just didn't feel comfortable at either one. Probably because I was such a low-time jumper I didn't know anyone.

Anyways.. It seems skycat is awefully quiet today. Hook you got her locked up in a closest?

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Dave, would you be intersted in doing something like the old weekly BoD interviews again for all the canidates that are running this year? Post their replies on here and give them a chance to state their feelings? Give them a list of 10-12 questions that we as jumpers want to see addressed and see who needs voted in and who not to vote for?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Give them a list of 10-12 questions that we as jumpers want to see addressed and see who needs voted in and who not to vote for?

Ok I'm for that...so people...what do you want from your USPA?
I want what is in the best interest of the jumpers put before all other relationships.
Yeah call me idealistic....:P

Dave, would you be intersted in doing something like the old weekly BoD interviews again for all the canidates that are running this year? Post their replies on here and give them a chance to state their feelings? Give them a list of 10-12 questions that we as jumpers want to see addressed and see who needs voted in and who not to vote for?

Yeah, I guess I could do that again, at least through the election. First I'll need a list of who's running, both on the ballot and with write-in campaigns. I'll put some feelers out to see how comprehensive a list I can come up with. In the interim, I'll also need to develop a bank of questions, so feel free to e-mail any you can think of that aren't among the obvious ones.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Dang Ron...I thought you liked me!

Like has nothing to do with it Wally.

Its not MY fault you could do it...

'Runs quickly out of the room yelling, "Vote for Hooknswoop!!!!"

I am going to start painting banners:
"Derrick, Bill and Wally for ND....The DZ.Com tripple threat".

. . . so feel free to e-mail any you can think of that aren't among the obvious ones.

Blues,
Dave

Why not put an open discussion here about what questions should be answered.
After a certain amount of time collect the questions and put them in a poll

Pic the top 12 and voila - you have your list.

Here is my input:

Q. What are your intentions on how to "Raise The Bar" for student progression and training? As you have probably witnessed, students are learning at a more accelerated rate, what suggestions do you have that would insure the instructors and coaches are able to tax the students and keep the progression accellerating as it has done so far?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun