Slappie

Hitchhiker's Guide the movie??

I'm glad you liked it, I guess I saw it after reading the book a number of times and was really put off by it.

Although I usually really enjoy British comedies. *shrug*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The BBC version rocked.

I agree the BBC version was pretty cool. The thing I liked about that version the most, was it actually stuck to the book almost line for line. They didn't edit the screenplay. It came pretty much verbatum (sp) from the pages of the book.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

The BBC television series was based upon the original radio scripts. If you have read the series, then watched the TV series, you will notice that they are in a different order. The movie could be interesting, as long as they hold true to the British style humor in the series of books.
Either way, it will probably be worth my $9 at the theatre
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

The BBC version rocked.

I agree the BBC version was pretty cool. The thing I liked about that version the most, was it actually stuck to the book almost line for line. They didn't edit the screenplay. It came pretty much verbatum (sp) from the pages of the book.

That's what I loved about the movie Of Mice And Men. It was almost 100% exactly like the book.

There's certain types of novels that lend themselves well to movies. Those that concentrate on dialogue and descritions rather than emotion and inner thoughts. It's hard to transfer those to the screen.

There was a really REALLY bad version done by the BBC a long while back. There's talks of a new one, though.

the magic mouse has rights too it....

i dont have much high hope for that reason....

The BBC television series was based upon the original radio scripts. If you have read the series, then watched the TV series, you will notice that they are in a different order. The movie could be interesting, as long as they hold true to the British style humor in the series of books.

hell if your really bored you can compare the differences, additions and ommisions from radio scripts to tv to book...

LOTS of jokes got left out or distorted in the 'port' process, and lots more got added...

Was surfing for some info on the book and the UK series and came across this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/

Cool, I loved the book B|

I believe it's been in development for a while. I remember first seeing it listed in the Hollywood Reporter a while back. Here is the current listing (under "Projects In Production"):

Touchstone Pictures
500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA 91521 - 818-560-1000

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Comedy)
Walt Disney Pictures/Spyglass Entertainment, 500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA 91521 - 818-560-1000
Shooting in London, England
(Start April 19, 2004)
Cast: Sam Rockwell, Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel, Martin Freeman, Bill Nighy, Warwick Davis, Anna Chancellor, John Malkovich
ExPrd., Douglas Adams, Robbie Stamp, Derek Evans; Prd., Roger Birnbaum, Gary Barber, Nick Goldsmith, Jonathan Glickman, Jay Roach; CoPrd., Todd Arnow, Caroline Hewitt; Dir., Garth Jennings; Scr., Douglas Adams, Karey Kirkpatrick; DP, Igor Jadue-Lillo; Ed., Niven Howie; UPM, Peter Heslop; AD, Richard Whelan; PrdDsgn., Joel Collins; Art, Frank Walsh, Daniel Loren May; Set, Kate Beckly; Cstm., Sammy Howarth-Sheldon; PrdCoord., Deryn Stafford; SFX, Paul Dunn; Snd., Mark Holding; Cstg., Susie Figgis, Marcia Ross; Publ., Deborah Simmrin; U.S. Dstrb, Buena Vista

--Douva

PS. I'm currently reading the books--Lots of fun, great sattire.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I'm with you. I have the radio airings on CD and after reading and re-reading the books, nothing else will do.

I think it has to do with the fact that when we read a book we get to "tune" the story to our particular tastes and images and once we've done that nobody else's interpretation will do.

Elvisio "Fenchurch was a nugget" Rodriguez

There was a really REALLY bad version done by the BBC a long while back. There's talks of a new one, though.

It was so bad it was GREAT. Kinda like Dr. Who.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kinda twisted that I know a lot about "the guide" and it's author... rest his soul.

Douglas Adams also worked on the Dr. Who series.

only on like 4 scripts...one of them never produced iirc..

if you havent yet pick up Salmon of Doubt and another fairly recent biography who's title escapes me at the moment....

hates having his library in storage...