Slappie

Cheers Micro$oft

Cheers to Micro$oft!!

http://blogs.zdnet.com/index.php?p=283

XP SP2 alert: Cancel all non-AMD system buys
Leading up to the release of Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft has cited an SP2 feature called Data Execution Prevention (DEP) as a key sentry in the fight against viruses and worms responsible for "buffer overruns." Unfortunately, users of AMD-based systems are virtually the only ones who can take advantage of this important technology. Intel-based notebook and desktop systems that support DEP won't start shipping until the end of 2004. My advice: Postpone your planned Intel-based systems purchases--or go with AMD.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

This is putting a bandaid on an amputation. the solution to preventing buffer overrun exploits is to write decent code. But it's cheaper not to bother auditing the code base, so many software companies don't bother.

Oh, and from Microsoft's own MSDN: "DEP is not intended to be a comprehensive defense against all exploits."

Instead of postponing your purchases of Intel gear, try lobbying Microsoft to develop a decent code-auditing policy. Buffer overflows are such a freakin' newbie coder error that it amazes me we still have them around after nearly 40 years.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Something I read about this morning whilst pursuing a 6-month-old computer mag. (probably common knowledge by now but new to me). Windows XP stops programs running at refresh rates above 60htz. That is of course unless they use DirectX in which case you can set them at whatever speed you want. Programs which don’t use some other software to render their graphics are capped at 60htz…

Hmmmm….. now which company do you think owns DirectX?

That’s right - Microsoft. It’s another case of buy-our-product-or-lose-out.

My advice: Postpone your planned Intel-based systems purchases--or go with AMD.

My advi ce: Stop wasting your time/money on the M$ viruses/bugs/upgrades hamster wheel and go to Mac OS X.
Or if you really enjoy playing with computers: Linux, or {Free,Net,Open}BSD.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My advi ce: Stop wasting your time/money on the M$ viruses/bugs/upgrades hamster wheel and go to Mac OS X.

What a great consept ryoder. What if I enjoy playing my games? Most of the games I play are not ported to those OpSys. If they are they limit me to playing on servers who support those OpSys. Then I'm left to not playing because my buddies are all on the Winblowz servers.

Thanks for another attempt at being smug. Linux has it's own problems. Apple is a darkhorse. Great for graphics if your a graphic artist.

For the normal everyday user it's Micro$haft an there poor attempt at a OpSys.

I'm really tired of the Linux-whateverX crowd saying this shit. It's not the end all to fixinng the problem.

*grumble*

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Something I read about this morning whilst pursuing a 6-month-old computer mag. (probably common knowledge by now but new to me). Windows XP stops programs running at refresh rates above 60htz. That is of course unless they use DirectX in which case you can set them at whatever speed you want. Programs which don’t use some other software to render their graphics are capped at 60htz…

Hmmmm….. now which company do you think owns DirectX?

That’s right - Microsoft. It’s another case of buy-our-product-or-lose-out.

There are 3rd-party tools out there to specify different refresh-rates for games that are not using the DirectX APIs... I can't remember what they are called but I have used them successfully before. Basically they consisit of a fancy front-end for making registry changes.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

>Stop wasting your time/money on the M$ viruses/bugs/upgrades hamster
>wheel and go to Mac OS X.

That will work until a lot of people use it, at which time hackers will shift their attention to Mac and Linux viruses.

I'm tired of hearing that lame excuse for M$. Viruses are enabled by clueless designs that put features over the most basic security concepts. e.g. do a port scan of a fresh installation of XP, then do the same for a fresh installation of Mac OS X.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What a great consept ryoder. What if I enjoy playing my games? Most of the games I play are not ported to those OpSys. If they are they limit me to playing on servers who support those OpSys. Then I'm left to not playing because my buddies are all on the Winblowz servers.

Thanks for another attempt at being smug. Linux has it's own problems. Apple is a darkhorse. Great for graphics if your a graphic artist.

For the normal everyday user it's Micro$haft an there poor attempt at a OpSys.

I'm really tired of the Linux-whateverX crowd saying this shit. It's not the end all to fixinng the problem.

*grumble*

I've heard the same song from a co-worker. Just this past week he finally had his fill of time wasted with dealing with viruses and is getting a Mac.

I don't advocate Mac for everyone; Just people who want a desktop to USE and not spend time tweaking. Geeks enjoy the Linux/BSD stuff; For business use there is Solaris/HP-UX/AIX, etc.

I am not being "smug"; just realistic. I used to work for a PC mfgr and worked with M$ daily. Believe it or not I had a positive attitude about M$...until I dealt with them, their products, and their business practices for two years. Now I won't have anything to do with them. Show me a piece of software which only runs on M$, and I will show you a piece of sw I can live without.

the solution to preventing buffer overrun exploits is to write decent code.

I subscribe to the theory that there is no single protection against bad software problems. The "No Execute" CPU trick is something that some old OSes have done before, I believe, and is a smart addition.

Basically they mark all memory as to whether it contains code or data. The CPU normally can't tell the difference - memory is memory. But programs really only ever want to run code; running data is generally a bad thing. So now they are having the CPU (or another piece of software) keep an eye out for if something starts accidentally executing data, and they stop the program if it does.

It would be nice to solve BOs by telling people not to write them. And more recent, higher-level programming languages will have far lower incidences of BOs. But old code, new code written in old languages, new code inside higher-level languages and their compilers that must be written in lower-level languages, and human mistakes will all continue to exist.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I subscribe to the theory that there is no single protection against bad software problems

Absolutely.

Regardless of which operating system you run, there are many pieces that makes a computer or network to run smoothly, like, proper precautions and attention to detail, and keeping things simple, not because the Gigatron X-55.1.34.b.2004 processing flux capacitor is the LATEST thing out you MUST use it. Microsoft's products could be better, I agree with that as well as other products such as red Hat, SuSe, MAC OS, etc, but is up to the analyst or IT guru to CHOOSE the right one for the business, of course, you can make mistakes and pick the wrong choice. Don't blame the vendor entirely.

There isn't a piece of software written "ANYWHERE" that hackers couldn't get into if they wanted to. The fact of the matter is, Microsoft (and a few others) are the only ones that hackers are going after.

Instead of bad mouthing Microsoft, I wish people would focus on the real problem hackers. No matter what Microsoft or anyone else does to prevent them getting in, they will find a way. Hackers are incredibly smart people. I know people who are could easily hack into anything they wanted to if they wanted to (even Mac OS and Linux) but luckily they are not those kind of people.

You know if hackers focused even a fraction their time and energy on doing something positive instead of destructive, imagine what the industry would be like.

Rhonda

not because the Gigatron X-55.1.34.b.2004 processing flux capacitor is the LATEST thing out

Get with the times, man. I've got a Gigatron X-55.1.34.b.2004 processing flux capacitor with SP2!

DAMN!!! I NEED TO HAVE THAT!!!! :o:o

:D:D:D:P

That will work until a lot of people use it, at which time hackers will shift their attention to Mac and Linux viruses.

Amen. And the ease of hacking these platforms will decrease as all the sheer number of morons running them increases. This is not a comment about the relative preponderance of moron by operating system...just more people means more morons.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I think the solution lies in computer education rather than what OS a person chooses to use. A great many people have been using M$ operating systems for years without so much as a single hiccup.

Proper firewall practices (yes, its even possible on a home PC at minimal cost) and responsible email and internet practises (no, I dont want to open the YourPrize.jpg.exe mail attachment right away and I dont want to install that website application that will "fix my PC clock")
... will go a long way towards painless PC ownership and eliminating dependencies on Operating Systems that are expected to think of everything for the user.

I think the solution lies in computer education rather than what OS a person chooses to use. A great many people have been using M$ operating systems for years without so much as a single hiccup.

Proper firewall practices (yes, its even possible on a home PC at minimal cost) and responsible email and internet practises (no, I dont want to open the YourPrize.jpg.exe mail attachment right away and I dont want to install that website application that will "fix my PC clock")
... will go a long way towards painless PC ownership and eliminating dependencies on Operating Systems that are expected to think of everything for the user.

You are blaming the user for bad software design. The problem is software designed to treat email as executable code. That is flat out stupid, but M$ thinks it is a "feature".

>Stop wasting your time/money on the M$ viruses/bugs/upgrades hamster
>wheel and go to Mac OS X.

That is true only to a certain point.

Open Source means transparency, not hiding flaws behind compiled code and putting a bunch of legalese on it like Egyptian priests putting curses on the Pharaoh's tomb.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Sorry but the reason MS is the prime target is because they are the most popular OS. In the off chance App;e should take that slot they will become the big target.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sorry but the reason MS is the prime target is because they are the most popular OS. In the off chance App;e should take that slot they will become the big target.

Sorry but I've been working in IT too long to buy that lame excuse.

Look it, I don't like MS either but my nearly 20 years in IT tells me that all OSes have holes. The people who attack the holes in Windows do it for fun and to create the biggest mess they can. Sending out worms to attack Mac's or Linux doesn't get the press that attacking Windows does.

Now could MS do a better job of plugging the holes, hell yes, but they would still be the prime target.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes