PhoenixFire

At play with firm's clone kittens

A US company offering a pet cloning service has successfully cloned two cats: Tabouli and Baba Ganoush ( :(:( )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3548210.stm

This reminds me of movie - 6th day ( arnold swarneiger - can't spell his name)

anyway very bad ide - IMHO - wish ppl wouldnt play G-D with animal or human life :(:S

opinions from any one ???
Peace Be Da Journey

I think the whole cloning thing stinks! Especially animals--we have millions of animals sitting in shelters across the country and people want to clone them now? Ridiculous; especially when it's known that just the physical aspects are clones; not personality traits; those are acquired through life experience & environment.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I think the whole cloning thing stinks! Especially animals--we have millions of animals sitting in shelters across the country and people want to clone them now? Ridiculous; especially when it's known that just the physical aspects are clones; not personality traits; those are acquired through life experience & environment.

I have to agree with you on that one... my cat has been missing for a few weeks now and I go to the shelter about every couple of days. It is amazing how many "new faces" there are that will never get a new home when I am there. I think it is time for me to adopt another kitty or two. :|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

[end of the world, predicted by wrongway]

1. Scientists clone humans
2. Clones seek civil rights but get none because Bush says "God didn't make them and they don't have a soul"
3. War dept. decides that since clones aren't "real people", we should use them as soldiers
4. Clones are bred solely for military applications
5. Clones rebel
6. Clones use nuclear armaments to destroy pretty much everything, and the human race kicks it

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

since you bought it up -inadvertantly - Do animals have a soul ??
I say YES with out a doubt - would a clone have a soul ??
if you believe in souls and by proxy believ in G-d - then do you not think G-d would give clones a soul even if they are not created "naturally" ?

don't wanna turn this into a religious thread - and we are only talking hypathetically.
Peace Be Da Journey

I know; these things really upset me, but you can only do what you can.

I went to the flea market last weekend w/ my hunny and we saw some of the cuttest puppies. The cages and everything were very clean, spacious and they were in the A/C. I heard some potential buyers complimenting on their "presentation" and that it "must be a reputable puppy dealer" to have such a nice set-up. WHATEVER! Ignorance is bliss; it was all I could do just to keep walking and not stop too long.

since you bought it up -inadvertantly - Do animals have a soul ??
I say YES with out a doubt - would a clone have a soul ??
if you believe in souls and by proxy believ in G-d - then do you not think G-d would give clones a soul even if they are not created "naturally" ?

don't wanna turn this into a religious thread - and we are only talking hypathetically.

Me personally? I'm not religious in the very least. Bush on the other hand, believes that if you're not Christian, you belong in hell. :S:D I thought I'd throw that pun/joke into it cuz the situation called for it. But I'll be damned (no pun intended ;)) if I'm going to send this thread to speakers corner, so enough of this junk, it was a joke (that makes some sense). :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

A US company offering a pet cloning service has successfully cloned two cats: Tabouli and Baba Ganoush ( :(:( )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3548210.stm

This reminds me of movie - 6th day ( arnold swarneiger - can't spell his name)

anyway very bad ide - IMHO - wish ppl wouldnt play G-D with animal or human life :(:S

opinions from any one ???

I'd clone my cat if it was about $50-100. I wouldn't care if it wasn't the same personality. I just think he's a remarkably nicely marked tabby. For $50K, I'll go to the shelter and get one that looks like him. Fuck it, I might just have him stuffed and put on the couch. That's what he does for most of the day anyway.

As far as it goes, cloning is here to stay, so we might as well lead the world in it. You can't push knowledge back in the bottle. It's going to get done done somewhere, and for all the bad sciance, there's going to be good therputic benefits in the long term I would say.

[end of the world, predicted by wrongway]

1. Scientists clone humans
2. Clones seek civil rights but get none because Bush says "God didn't make them and they don't have a soul"
3. War dept. decides that since clones aren't "real people", we should use them as soldiers
4. Clones are bred solely for military applications
5. Clones rebel
6. Clones use nuclear armaments to destroy pretty much everything, and the human race kicks it

Pass me whatever it is you're smoking.

Forty-two

Fuck it, I might just have him stuffed and put on the couch. That's what he does for most of the day anyway.

Hahahaha...I love cats, the personalities are great. When they want to play, they play, when they don't, they take over your stuff and won't let you have it. Like a couch.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

or your computer chair.

Funny you bring that up!

My dad has to keep 2 chairs by his computer in his home office. Annie (aka Orphan Annie the lost kitty who is now pushing 9 years old) takes over the chair he was sitting in. Even if he just stands up for a couple seconds. She's curled up like she was asleep. If he tries to move her, she gets pissed off. So he'll switch chairs to sit down. Not 10 seconds later he'll get up again for just a second or two, and she'll be in the chair that he was just sitting in.

That exact same sequence happens atleast 75 times a day. Atleast.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

or your computer chair.

Funny you bring that up!

My dad has to keep 2 chairs by his computer in his home office. Annie (aka Orphan Annie the lost kitty who is now pushing 9 years old) takes over the chair he was sitting in. Even if he just stands up for a couple seconds. She's curled up like she was asleep. If he tries to move her, she gets pissed off. So he'll switch chairs to sit down. Not 10 seconds later he'll get up again for just a second or two, and she'll be in the chair that he was just sitting in.

That exact same sequence happens atleast 75 times a day. Atleast.

For me, clean washing = cat magnet

I think this is all a storm in a teacup. Sure, there are a few people who would like to own some "living science" or whatever else their whims call for, but overall it's no big deal. It's going to have the good effect of helping the research advance and helping science understand and refine the process, so that maybe, when people grow up, we can have stem cells when we need them and not die from various degenerative deseases left right and center. I think cloning humans for profit, or for any reason, is an absolutely terrible idea. Cloning pets is silly, but I guess I could live with it as long as the healthy birth rate was not lower than conventional birth for that species. Stem cell research is a different story all together.

So they cloned a couple of cats, so what? If you're so upset about the fate of animals, why don't you stop animal control from putting down the animals that they catch? Are you vegetarian? I can think of much worse things than cloning that are done to animals by humans. These kittens appear to be healthy and happy after all, what's the problem?

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

So they cloned a couple of cats, so what?

It's not the cloning of animals as much as it is people love to whine and moan about anything they come across. It used to be different. People used to be tough. Now a days it's the opposite. Never seen people complain as much in my life.

Forty-two

You know you're complaining right now, right?:D

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Fuck it, I might just have him stuffed and put on the couch. That's what he does for most of the day anyway.

Hahahaha...I love cats, the personalities are great. When they want to play, they play, when they don't, they take over your stuff and won't let you have it. Like a couch.:P

Or the computer keyboard... "Hey, enough messing around with the computer, pet me NOW!!!"
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There is a pet store in Columbus, OH that operates more like a shelter than a conventional retail store. All of the cats and dogs there are strays. It's a great idea.

That is my dream job. Seriously, I have a little note in my purse that reminds me that I only have to suck it up and broker for a few years, and then I can retire and do nothing but skydive and run a safe animal shelter.

there's a store in Corona, CA that operates like that. They don't buy from kitten/puppy mills or breeders, just local litters (and request that the mom gets spayed). The little ones get their shots and are sold for not much more than it costs for their care. Any that don't sell become either the pets of the owner or the "shop cats". They open up the cages and let the kittens run around the store five or six at a time. They run up and greet people, and sell very quickly. That's how I got one of my kitties. Walked in for pet food for one cat, picked up a kitten in the store to pet, and didn't put him down til I got home. LOL!