cloudynot

Just wondering

Just after AFF, I used to be ready to pull at 6000. I swear the ground looked huge! But, it got way easier to pull lower when I realized how much more freefall time I could get when I gave it another 3k feet.

Once at jump 40-ish, I had a little trouble and didn't pull until 2000 ft (give or take a bit), under canopy by 1500. That was low for me. I had my hands on the handles and clearly remember thinking, "oh, shit, the ground!" I thought it was big at 6000, it looks a lot bigger at 1.5k when you're still falling fast and watching everyone around you going under canopy. Yeah...good times.

That was my experience. I think it's awesome that people are comfortable going lower. I'm content pulling at 3000.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

You know what sucks? Not jumping in a long time and being scared all over again. I'm going to jump again on the 28th (the weather better look like cooperating!) and I hate having that fear again. I'm not scared of the exit or the freefall, but when I don't jump much I get scared to pull low again. And scared to have too much fun under canopy, when that never used to frighten me. Damn, I hate losing ground.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Why do you want to pull lower than 3000?
Is that last 3 seconds of freefall any better than the first?

Honestly.. I always made it clear I was pulling around 4-4.5.
Gives you a little more time to deal with a bad situation if needed.

I always made it clear I was pulling around 4-4.5.

Nothing wrong with that - it does indeed increase the time you have to deal with any situation.

But if you were in the UK you would find yourself severely hampered in what you would be able to do if you restricted yourself to this figure only. You might also find yourself being instructed by the JM that you were to pull lower than this on a given dive.

This would all be on safety grounds.

Agreed... let me explain in greater detail.
Be where you need to pull at by 3000.
Sorry for the confusion.

I always broke off skydives by 5500-5000.

Tracked, cleared airspace and pulled.
Safety first... keeps you around to do more jumps.

Yes, I have pulled below 3k, I am pretty sure I was even below 2k once after chasing a student. I prefer to pull about 3-3.5 (closer to the 3.5). I have a canopy that I can generally force to open in just under 1000', but I have had it go (from higher altitudes) over 2,000' when I just let it open all the way on its own. I would rather have the time to deal with a mal than getting a little extra freefall. I can get the freefall on the next jump.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Last week at rantoul I only pulled above 3 once (a helicopter jump w/ only me as a jumper and way off line of flight. I was open at 3500)

I really didn't want to have someone come plowing into me still in freefall.

I think its about what your comfortable with (and of course overall safety). If you don't like to pull at any less than 3 don't. Some people might not like it if your doing RW with them and want to break "really" high, but fuck em... jump with people who don't mind.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Honestly.. I always made it clear I was pulling around 4-4.5.
Gives you a little more time to deal with a bad situation if needed.

nothing wrong with that, but I'd get tired of getting out late/last all the time and there are always dives where you should still be tracking through 4 or at least clearing airspace.

I'd rather have gear that i felt comfortable consistently opening at 3. i''ll pull lower on occasion, but i dont see the point in scaring myself or my cypress....

ground rush is why i want to BASE.

How low have you deployed? I can't get the nerve to go lower than 3000..Anyone pulled lower than you should?

Around 38 jumps, lost altitude awareness (swore I would never do that) was sitting in at 1800 ft. Was actually very angry with myself and took a little time after to think about it and make sure it does not happen again. Now I pull at 3,500, can't really see much of a reason to pull any lower.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Lowest I've pulled was about 1800 after a helicopter exit from 3300 at Rantoul. Probably not the smartest thing I've done!

Generally, I prefer to dump by 3k - I like flying my canopy, and would rather have some time to sort out a mal before being forced to chop it.