Nightingale

Perris Bird Update

An update on the bird, for all you Perris folks:

for a while, there's been a little Kestrel hanging around the dropzone. Very friendly little critter, hopping up on people's shoulders and making friends quickly. Today, Laura noticed that she didn't seem to be doing so well, so she called around and found a bird rescue who was willing to help her. The bird, who Laura named Icarus, was dropped off this evening. The lady at the shelter said that Icarus was very thin, and either she was just very hungry, or she had west nile virus. If she has west nile, there's nothing that can be done, and we just have to hope. If she's just hungry, which is more likely, she'll have her strength back soon, and will be returned to the DZ, in case she has a mate there. She was given a mouse to eat tonight, and ate enthusiastically, which is an excellent sign.

Kudos to Laura for noticing something was wrong with Icarus and caring enough to do something about it.

Skydivers today were very generous in donating a total of $217.00 to the rescue to help with the care of Icarus and the other animals there.

Anyone else wishing to help out with Icarus's care can contact the rescue at:

Hope Wildlife Rescue
909-279-3232

Vibes and prayers for our feathered friend would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

to see a picture of a kestrel, click below:

http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpecies_LI.asp?imageID=40917&page=beautyl.asp

You know, I clicked on the thread expecting to see an update about the jet.

I didn't, but this was cool to read too. Thanks!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear she is eating and hopefully she will be okay. She really was cute, and so nice of everyone to contribute....but how could we not when we'd seen her throughout the day.

BTW Kris, enjoyed jumping with you and talking to you today. Did the bear get to do a skydive?

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

And here's what she looked like this afternoon.

She was extremely tame today and I was just a couple of inches away from her while I took this. Later Crazy Larry was hand holding her too.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Wow! Quade, that's an awesome picture!

The lady at the rescue said the bird was tame for one of two reasons:

1. she was somebody's pet and is accustomed to humans
2. she was weak and starving and hoping for food.

since its been two weeks or so she's been hanging around, its probably that she's been tamed.

and Evelyn: the bear will be making his skydive on Sunday instead.

I have a video of Icarus and can post it tonight, after I get back from the DZ. She's really and awesome bird. Hope she comes back and looks us up again (this time when she's well and not just hungry).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Wow....what an absolutely BEAUTIFUL bird. My Mom has been letting her new puppy stay outside in a screen enclosure. Well....luckily my Mom noticed this HUGE (more like the size of an Osprey or eagle) Red tailed hawk flying around in the area. My Mom decided to put a top on the enclosure. ;)

I spoke with Cyndi at the rescue last night. Icarus was doing well and happily munching her second mouse of the day. She's still having some balance and vision problems, and hopefully that'll just take time.

I'm going to visit her saturday morning on my way to the dropzone.

Today, Laura noticed that she didn't seem to be doing so well, so she called around and found a bird rescue who was willing to help her. The bird, who Laura named Icarus, was dropped off this evening.

Gosh, I didn't see this thread until someone sent me a PM about it.

Laura is sooo nice, isn't she? Wow, it's so awesome that she rescued this bird. I have to give her a hug when I finally make it back to Perris. :)
Here's to Laura & Icarus! :D

Icarus was doing well and happily munching her second mouse of the day.

Also, thank you for the updates, Nightingale...you're awesome, too! B|

thanks!

I'm glad I got the chance to drive her to the rescue. She was such a good bird in the car, just sat in her box and didn't make a sound. She was so quiet that I had to open the box once just to make sure she was ok, and she just looked up at me as if to say "are we there yet?"

Beautiful! What a magnificent creature.

What will happen to the bird? Will it stay at the DZ, or will an effort be made to locate the owner?

I hope it stays. If it does, it'll be in fine company, and what a great mascot it would be B|

Providing it doesn't mind, of course.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

...Icarus was doing well and happily munching her second mouse of the day...

Mmmm....Mouse... (drool) [/homer simpson]

Feed her a hamster, just to see if the difference btw the two is like turkey and chicken to us.

Then feed her a gerbil, a bilby, two stoats, and a lemur.

I've discussed this situation with the spousal unit, Edit to add - it's not unusual for an animal, when suffering a concussion, to get totally lost, and we're agreed that a good-faith effort should be made to find the bird's person.

Here's why - the bird, when ill, sought out humans, knowing that humans would help. Quade remarked that it was sitting on people's shoulders, etc. That means the bird was raised by hand.

This in turn means that the person who raised the bird did so with an enormous amount of patience and care.

That person is probably missing the Kestrel very much right now.

I haven't looked, but there is probably a website for Southern Cali dedicated to raising birds like this.

One might also check the newspaper classifeds, or better yet, post a classifed ad.

Much as it warms my heart to think of Perris with a resident bird of prey, we must look to its best interests. The person who raised it knows its age, history, etc., and will take excellent care of the bird, as was undoubtedly done before it got conked on the head and lost its way.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

the bird conked its head on the fence on sunday, which is when it got its concussion.

The bird, if tame, was probably abandoned by its owner, from what the rehab lady was saying. Kestrels are one of the only two birds that apprentice falconers are allowed to own (the other is a red tail hawk, which has a NASTY temperament, so most choose a kestrel). Some unscrupulous falconers will abandon their kestrel after finishing their apprenticeship, because the kestrel eats only bugs and very small mice, while the falconer wants birds that can take down larger prey, like pigeons or sparrows. Very sad, but it happens. [:/]

The rehab lady may be very nice, but she might also have issues with falconers in general and have a bias towards thinking they are "all unscrupulous".

It wouldn't hurt to check the sites to see if the bird has an owner who is missing it greatly. How would Michelle feel if she lost one her kittens....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants