skybaby1975

relationship with non-skydiver, Ya or Na

It's definitely challenging. One of the big issues is just how heavilly invested (not necessarily financially) you are in the sport. I for one like to be at the DZ at least one day of every weekend. Also I tend to spend every vacation day I have at skydiving events. Now compromises can be made but it certainly would be easier if you didn't have to.

Another problem is the social atmosphere. If most of your friends are skydivers like mine are, you probably spend a lot of your time talking about skydiving and watching skydiving videos. This can get really old for someone with little interest in the sport not to mention it doesn't give them many ins to conversation.

There are complexities involved in dating a skydiver as well. First and foremost if you break up they will likely still be around and may even be dating your buddies. But if you can find one that you can truly vibe with then at least you can have that common ground and an incredible aspect of your life to share.

There is of coarse a third senario. You could get into a relationship with someone who is as heavilly into something else as you are into skydiving. Granted your time together may be more limited and you may still lack that common ground. But at least that person should understand your passion for the sport and not resent you for it.

So in answer to your question of Ya or Na? Ehhhhh.

Thanks guys :)
I jump every weekend and somehow became what they call the "manifest bitch". I have consumed my life right with eating, breathing and working skydiving. I have never been to another DZ and never wanted to because I think MINE is the BEST ;). It is nice to meet other skydivers and hear there opinions on the matter because I was starting to feel doomed [:/].

I feel much better now :ph34r:

THANKS!!!!!!!!
who's your mommy ;-)

What are your views on having a relationship with a non-skydiver? would really love to hear some positive experiences. [:/]

It all depends on how invested you are in the sport. When people get too heavily involved inthe sport, usually when they first start, it's all they thnk about, and all they want to do every free moment. Whilst this is exciting for them, it unfortunately makes skydivers possibly the dullest group of people to hang out with if you don't share that enthusiasm, or are a non skydiver.

This is one of the reasons that you see so many disasterous relationships in skydivng. People make partner choices based first and foremost on the activity, rather than the qualities of the person involved.

If you meet someone you like outside of skydiving, you're really going to have to make them the priority, rather than the sport. it's a comporomiose that you're going to have to be comfortable with as time goes on.

Skychicks scare me. :o I'm sticking to the whuffos. B|
So Ya to non-skydivers. I have no problem spending only one day a week at the dz instead of two and vacationing in hawaii and sitting on a beach with my honey instead of going to a boogie. It's all about balance...

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

I've had a bad one (ultimatum), and I've seen many bad ones fall through. BUT I've also seen a few cases where they work out beautifully. I think it just depends on the person and their priorities.

In my opinion, here's how it needs to be to work. You should love him/her enough that you would drop everything for them in a heartbeat (including skydiving) if they asked, but he/she should love you enough to recognize the impact the sport has on your life and would never consider asking you to stop. IMHO, that's the key to skydiver/whuffo relationships. That'll be $100, i accept Mastercard, Visa, and Paypal. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

What are your views on having a relationship with a non-skydiver? would really love to hear some positive experiences. [:/]

My soul-mate/fiancee doesn't skydive and it works great.

You just have to accept each other's activities/time commitments and take time to nurture the relationship.

I agree with a lot of the others, it really depends how obsessive you are about skydiving and how much you define yourself as 'skydiver'. If it consumes you and it is your first priority, not much luck with a whuffo. If it is just one facet of your life that you balance with a lot of other things that you love, I don't see why it would be a problem.

My husband jumped as long as I knew him. I didn't. He had his jumping, I had horseback riding, we were both happy. Neither of us let our solo hobbies interfere with our time together, we are each other's first priority, and always will be. Of course, a month ago, I decided to start on AFF, and loved it. My husband was on my jump load, it was his last jump before his A, and mine was my first AFF, so it was a great experience for both of us. It's one more thing for us to share, but even if I never set foot in a jump plane we'd be just as happy.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've had a bad one (ultimatum), and I've seen many bad ones fall through. BUT I've also seen a few cases where they work out beautifully. I think it just depends on the person and their priorities.

In my opinion, here's how it needs to be to work. You should love him/her enough that you would drop everything for them in a heartbeat (including skydiving) if they asked, but he/she should love you enough to recognize the impact the sport has on your life and would never consider asking you to stop. IMHO, that's the key to skydiver/whuffo relationships. That'll be $100, i accept Mastercard, Visa, and Paypal. B|

There is a lot in that. It really does just depend on the people involved. It is easy to give a canned answer and say yes or no it will or will not work. There is soo much more to the dynamics of a relationship than whether your both skydivers or not. There are lots of things that make relationships not work and there are some things that help them to work (I think a lot of making a relationship work has to come from actually working at it, not just having the right circumstances).

Add all of that up and then hope that you meet someone you like, that they like you, and you can both express that interest towards each other. I think that when you make it that far skydiver or not you should take a chance with it. Whats the worst thats going to happen, you break up? Well fuck it. So many relationships end that way anyhow. If you were intrested enough in each other to be thinking about trying it, go for it.

I, for example, have found myself liking someone in particular as of late, just happend and I'll see where it takes me. RE the thread starter... just roll with it and see what happens. Life does tend to work itself out if you put in some effort.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Let's see here, I was a skydiver when I meet my girlfriend we have live toghether for about 2 yrs now, it has ups and downs but I can say I been extremely happy, I go to the dropzone every weekend and work very hard during the week that puts a lot of preassure on somebdy that does not jump I realize and understand when she gets frustrated, I guess we have reached a happy understanding. I know a lot of people that is in my same situation as well as skydivers marrying skydivers it depends on the person. I admit It will be hard for a girl to find that very understanding non jumper guy that a skydiver to find a very understanding girl, since the independend self supported nature of a skygirl scares a lot of guys, so I guess what ever you think is right.;)
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

***I agree with a lot of the others, it really depends how obsessive you are about skydiving and how much you define yourself as 'skydiver'.

That's a good one I think it was Frank LLoyd Wright who said you're not an Architect until you have work your entire life as an Architect, for that matter your not a skydiver until you skydive your entire life and is a part of your life you can't change because makes you who you are.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

No, but I also can't imagine dating someone who didn't go to Purdue, doesn't love math, doesn't like to read, isn't a liberal, doesn't like to dance, likes crappy beers, doesn't like to jog, doesn't love sleeping, and (most importantly) doesn't love donuts! ;)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

No, but I also can't imagine dating someone who didn't go to Purdue, doesn't love math, doesn't like to read, isn't a liberal, doesn't like to dance, likes crappy beers, doesn't like to jog, doesn't love sleeping, and (most importantly) doesn't love donuts! ;)

Does IUPU still count at Purdue? :)

Hi Sky,
Ya' got 50 jumps, hang out at the dz a lot and wonder what it would be like dating a whuffo?? Look around! There are more (available) guy skydivers than girl skydivers just about everywhere!!! You got your pick!!! Generally speaking though, if a guy skydiver dates a whuffo girl it usually works. On the other hand, if a girl skydiver (one who jumps regular, has her own rig and is really into the skydiving scene) dates a whuffo, the date may last 30 minutes to an hour at most especially if she even hints a little anything about the sport!! With whuffo guys, especially with a serious case of matcho, it's about intimidation!!!! Good Luck.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

On the other hand, if a girl skydiver (one who jumps regular, has her own rig and is really into the skydiving scene) dates a whuffo, the date may last 30 minutes to an hour at most especially if she even hints a little anything about the sport!!

I didn't date much until recently, but I would have to say usually the exact opposite would happen with guys I was interested in. The one time in my life where I was too shy to kiss a guy, and he was too shy to kiss me, we hung out all summer long. He thought that it was really cool that I jumped. He was into some cool things, too, and he was a really smart guy. He didn't show much interest in jumping, but he would always ask, "So, jump out of any planes today?"

Most of my friends are whuffos. I've attracted many whuffo guys. Very few have been intimidated by my skydiving. Most thought it was "neat."
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Yes, it can work. I didn't really have a choice to be married to a skydiver or non-skydiver since I didn't start skydiving until I had been married for 25 years. My hubby is totally supportive of my skydiving, I think he is even proud of my skydiving accomplishments. Works out well for us, cuz he goes to the golf course, I go to the DZ, and we meet up later for dinner and discuss our day, mine is usually more exciting.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I'm gonna have to go with a big negative on that one.

But like what Chaoskitty was sayin, be careful which skydiver you get involved with....... especially as a woman new to the sport. You're like fresh meat out there at the DZ... and the men are hungry. Be choosey about who gets a sample, that's all.

-

this is soo sad but true.