Zennie

Albums/CDs That Have Transformed You & Your Musical Tastes?

Borrowing a bit from Val's thread on influential books, what CDs/Albums transformed you & your musical tastes.

There were a few significant ones for me....

AC/DC: If You Want Blood, You Got It

This was the first album I ever bought. I'd heard about AC/DC from friends and decided to buy one of their albums to see what they were all about. I was absolutely blown away. Thus began my foray into the heavy metal realm.

Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti

When I first heard this album, I became a Led-head for the next several years. I was already a pot-head by this time, so maybe that had something to do with it. :S

Metallica: Master of Puppets

Up until this time, my perception of metal was pretty much of the "pop" variety.... Zeppelin, Maiden, Priest, Ozzy. I read a review of "Master" in Rolling Stone and they gave it 5 stars so I figured I'd buy it and see what all the fuss was about.

My reaction was pretty much holy... fucking... shit... That album transformed my whole perception of what "heavy" truly meant.

Nirvana: Nevermind

By the time Nirvana rolled around I was getting pretty bored with hard rock. Nobody was really innovating and nothing was really hitting me deep inside. I'd heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the radio and liked it, but when I listened to the whole CD, I can't describe it... I FELT it. The frustration, the pain, the cynicism. I was turned onto grunge/hardcore in a big way.

Since "Nevermind", I can't say I've heard anything that has really transformed me. I listen to a lot of different stuff and get on kicks with certain bands & styles, but none have really made me think "THIS is the shit".

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Meet The Beatles - The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper - The Beatles
A Quick One While He's Away - The Who
Who's Next - The Who
Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
Beggar's Banquet - The Rolling Stones
Freak Out - The Mothers of Invention
Absolutely Free - The Mothers of Invention
Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa

and the biggest mindblower of all time:

Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience, followed by Axis Bold As Love and Electric Ladyland

(Yeah, I'm old :)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Umm not to piss in anyones cheerios but I can't believe anyone could lump " zeppelin " in with priest or maiden I mean come on. And zeppelin is far from "pop" metal. And just in case you haven't seen it I recommend zeppelin's lastest dvd release to anyone thats a fan, I view it at least once a month still.:)

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

Rush: Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures
Any Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Doors or Beatles album
Iron Maiden: Killers
Yes: Going for the One and Tormato
Pink Floyd: The Wall and The Final Cut
Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life
Jaco Pastorius: Word of Mouth
Joni Mitchell: Shadows and Light (live tour footage)
Stanley Clarke: If this Bass could Talk
Andreas Vollenwieder: Down to the Moon and Dancing with the Lion
Diamanda Galas: Plague Mass
Ministry: A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
Tool: Aenima and Undertow
Yo Yo Ma or Mislav Rostropovich: Bach Cello Concertos
Ben Folds Five: Forever and ever Amen
Megadeth: Killing is My Business and Peace Sells
Carcass: Symphonies of Sickness
Coroner: No More Color
Order from Chaos: Stillbirth Machine
Boltthrower: Warmaster
Entombed: Left Hand Path
Deadhorse: Peaceful Death and Pretty Flowers
Slayer: Reign in Blood
Morbid Angel: Altars of Madness
Athiest: Unquestionable Pressence
Watchtower: Control and Resistance
Voivod: Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross
Janes Addiction: Nothings Shocking and Ritual...
Chili Peppers: Blood, Sugar, Sex Magic

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Borrowing a bit from Val's thread on influential books, what CDs/Albums transformed you & your musical tastes.

Never Mind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
The Ramones - The Ramones
Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Can't stand The Rezillos - The Rezillos
XTC - White Music

The Cure : just all their albums

They have been my favorite for 16 years. I just saw them in Dallas right up in the front row! 4th time I have seen them, second time in the front

I have to agree The Cure's albums have had a huge impact on my life and got me through some tough times....and the Cure I guess you can say was the time in my youth where I guess you can say I turn "goth" not so much goth anymore I am a little too old for that (alright just a touch goth still) but The Cure is still my favorite
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, got me interested in psychedelic rock.

Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill - bought it at a pawn shop because I had heard they were good, put it in the CD player and the first thing I hear is Phil Anselmo's scream. Started my love affair with death and thrash metal (even though they're not.) Suicide Note part 2 was an anthem that spoke to me for quite a while.

Nine Inch Nails: The Fragility Tour (not an album but the show.) First time I did acid .... it blew my mind

Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal / Slayer - Reign in Blood: some of the best thrash albums I've ever heard, and made me listen to that for quite a bit.

Beatles - Yellow Submarine soundtrack : listened to it one night while tripping and fell in love with the Beatles

DJ Tiesto - heard it one night while tripping and it made me start listening to techno ....

Now, I pretty much much shift on whim between techno, oldies, and death metal ...
This ad space for sale.

Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience

That reminds me, I should add that too .... I wlays liked Jimi, but one night while dosed, was listening to a Hendrix box set, and his rendition Star-Spangled Banner was mindblowing ... I sat there watching the war ... watching soldiers lose their lives for their country ... watching hendrix culminate the entire 60s movement at woodstock ...

granted the drugs helped .... but after that, i really fell in love with hendrix ... give sme chills whenever i listen to it again.
This ad space for sale.

Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" - my first hard rock album (transition from teeny-bop music)
Metallica's "Kill 'Em All" - my first metal album
Nine Inch Nails' "The Downward Spiral" - my first acceptance of industrial music
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - my first acceptance of rap music (I can't remember the name of the album - one of my friends was always playing it, and I was really surprised at the musical talent because I thought all rap music sucked before that. I still don't care for the gang-related lyrics though.)

Oh, and "To Bring You My Love" from PJ Harvey - not sure what that introduced me to, other than PJ Harvey's music, but I continue to buy every CD she puts out and I love all of it!

I was in the 5th grade. Like all of my friends, "KKHR" in LA was the big station for us kids, listening to Duran Duran and other mindless top 40 radio of the time.

It wasn't a record that changed me. It was a video. I saw, "The Compleat Beatles" on video and thought to myself, "I recognize so many of those songs. I didn't know the Beatles did those."

I then expanded my musical tastes. I started with Abbey Road. Blown away.

"Muscle of Love" by Alice Cooper. My introduction to riff based rock and roll.

"Some Girls" by the Rolling Stones. My dad had an 8 track of it, and I loved the whole album. I then purchased an album of their greatest hits.

"Physical Graffiti" - my dad played it, and I wasn't too keen on it the first listen. Then I walked in while "In my Time of Dying" was on. I was in the 6th grade, and I was the first Zep-freak in my school.

"Disraeli Gears" by Cream. I got it because the cover looked cool (Back when album art was more than a piece of paper stuck in a CD case). The music was astonishing.

"Who's Next" also was quite influential.

Other albums were Zep II, Houses of the Holy, Minutemen's "The Punch Line," Social Distortion's "Prison Bound," and "Shake your Mneymaker" by the Black Crowes.

Edited to add: How can I forget Body Count? Blew me away.

Or "Witchcraft" by Sinatra?

The most influential in the last 5 years is "Music for All Occasions" by the Mavericks. Good old school country music with fantastic production, and the best male voice in music today (Raul Malo).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Boston. The first album. My brother gave it to me when I was about 11. Opened my young eyes beyond the bubble gum pop of the day.

The Doors (again, the first album). If my grandmother had only known what she'd done when she gave me that one...

Human League "Dare" and Devo "Freedom of choice." Eighties new wave will always be the music of summer for me.

Motley Crue "Too fast for love." Yeah, hair band, but that album and Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance" got me interested in heavier stuff.

NIN "Downward Spiral".

Umm not to piss in anyones cheerios but I can't believe anyone could lump " zeppelin " in with priest or maiden I mean come on. And zeppelin is far from "pop" metal. And just in case you haven't seen it I recommend zeppelin's lastest dvd release to anyone thats a fan, I view it at least once a month still.

"Pop" may have been a poor choice of words. What I meant was that basically those groups were sort of teenage metal-head standard fare groups.

Metallica, and all the other thrash/hardcore groups, were still somewhat underground at that point.

I saw Metallica at a late 80s "Monsters of Rock" show. It was like Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions & Van Hagar.

Metallica destroyed all of them (big surprise there).

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Meet The Beatles - The Beatles
Sgt. Pepper - The Beatles
Who's Next - The Who
Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
Beggar's Banquet - The Rolling Stones
Freak Out - The Mothers of Invention
Absolutely Free - The Mothers of Invention
Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa
Are You Experienced?

Those are on my list as well...I would add some grateful dead and jefferson airplane (crown of creation)...and in particular:
Strawberry Fields Forever and I am the Walrus by the Beatles (when they first were played on the radio--pop40 at the time--we all said 'what the hell are they doing? WOW!')
Good Vibrations by the Beach Boys....
The DOORS! definitely!

It is hard for anyone who has only heard these on 'golden oldies' radio to realize the impact on our generation.

In the 70's---Bob Marley
In the 80's Talking Heads and The Clash and Police

Marc

The Cure : just all their albums

They have been my favorite for 16 years. I just saw them in Dallas right up in the front row! 4th time I have seen them, second time in the front

Did a UK tour with them in 1979. The drummer was an absolte asshat. Robert Smith was Ok, and the bass player was a great guy. They sacked him though.