chileanXaos

Cessna 182 top overhaul

I bought a factory remanufactured O470L engine about 12mos ago. If I remember right it was over 20,000. Don't have the figures as I'm at work. I can be more specific when I get home in a day. You must exchange the old engine core. Also had the prop overhauled. For 40,000 you might find an older one like mine (57) with some good time left in trade-a-plane. There are several advertisements for Teledyne Continental in tap also. A top overhaul is a different story. The engine is not zero timed like the factory remaufactured engine. Hope this helps.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

What I need to know , What kind of overhauls there are and the prices. So I can decide what to buy .
(A) Buying a plane without hours for a good price and making the engine .
(B) another idea would be exchanging the cessna 182 engine for one more powerful , but I think that would be really expensive.
please give me some advice on prices and ideas about my choices.

NO...NO PM..... I am wanting the answers too. I may know them, but I would like to hear others opinions. I may be looking at upgrade/top end/total overhaul before long.

So please post or pm me too B|

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

For an overhaul on a stock 0-470 your looking around $15,000. A top overhaul would be about half that.

You can also upgrade the 0-470 to a 385hp engine as Todd mentioned. This is called the "P-Ponk" mod, they basically take your engine, bore it out, and in essence make it a 0-520. They say it adds about 35hp, taking the engine from 230hp, to 285hp. I've looked into this mod, and it costs about $22,000 for the overhaul and mod. check out: http://www.pponk.com
The only draw back to them (other than the cost) is the fact they when they beef up they engine, they don't beef up the case, so i've heard of cases cracking at low hours due to the extra stress of 35 more horsepower.
If you really have big bucks you could trade that 0-470 for a I0-550 which would give you 300 continuous horse power. I've jumped Forest McBrides I0-550 Cessna 182, and it took 4 of us to 12,000 in about 12 minutes. but i remember Forest saying the mod was not cheap at all!

Lance

The only draw back to them (other than the cost) is the fact they when they beef up they engine, they don't beef up the case, so i've heard of cases cracking at low hours due to the extra stress of 35 more horsepower.

Its similar in concept to boring out a VW Type1 case, although i'm not sure if there is an ATC fix for the A/C's case.

With VWs when you do that, you change the head studs as well as the threads to steel threads in the case for the studs. This is done with machined plugs. This helps with cracking around the studs on the case due to the higher compression ratio and less material around the lip of the case where the jugs insert, that's less material for the studs to hold against as well, so it stresses and cracks.

If the A/C conversion makes it a stroker, then there are other concerns with the case that can be fixed with some basic welding, but I doubt that's STCed.

*shrug* I have no fucking clue, I'm not an A/P, I am, however, very good with aircooled engines, especially horizontally opposed aircooled engines (i.e. old VWs).B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They did an O550 mod to an early straight tail 182 at a local DZ, did wing extensions, speed breaks, and three blade prop. Now they have a somewhat faster climbing 182 (most noticeable at higher tudes), with an indebtedness of well over $100,000.00. And the engine hasn’t lived up to the advertised 2500 tbo, requiring major work, cylinders, etc at less than 1000 hrs. You could have done several factory 0 time majors on an O470 for that kind of money. I question the wisdom of this one!
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

They did an O550 mod to an early straight tail 182 at a local DZ, did wing extensions, speed breaks, and three blade prop. Now they have a somewhat faster climbing 182 (most noticeable at higher tudes), with an indebtedness of well over $100,000.00. And the engine hasn’t lived up to the advertised 2500 tbo, requiring major work, cylinders, etc at less than 1000 hrs. You could have done several factory 0 time majors on an O470 for that kind of money. I question the wisdom of this one!

The IO-550 is used on plenty of other aircraft and they make it to TBO. You have to look at how it was run too.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

What I need to know , What kind of overhauls there are and the prices. So I can decide what to buy .
(A) Buying a plane without hours for a good price and making the engine .
(B) another idea would be exchanging the cessna 182 engine for one more powerful , but I think that would be really expensive.
please give me some advice on prices and ideas about my choices.

You will have to call the specific overhaul shop for prices. Here are your choices in engine overhauls in order of expensive to least expensive.

1. You can get an engine overhauled to better than new limits. They will port, balance, and overhaul the parts to at least or better than new limits.

2. A rebuilt engine to new limits from the factory-comes with a '0' time logbook. It will read '0' since major overhaul and '0' since new.

3. An overhauled engine from an engine overhaul shop. They will overhaul the engine to new limits, but will not come with a '0' time logbook. The logbook will read '0' since major overhaul, but 4000 hours since new if that is how many hours are on the engine.

4. You can get it overhauled to serviceable limits. This is the cheapest overhaul because they don't replace as many parts with new ones, but it may not last as long.

One other thing to ask is what accessories are overhauled? The engine may be overhauled, but things like vacuum pumps, alternators, starters, and prop governors are not. I prefer to get them all overhauled because nothing is more frustrating than to have your new engine not start because your alternator is bad.

David

I've jumped Forest McBrides I0-550 Cessna 182, and it took 4 of us to 12,000 in about 12 minutes. but i remember Forest saying the mod was not cheap at all!

This mod will make the plane climb great, fast, and to extreme altitudes but the price of jugs and other parts that seem to wear out rather quickly is also extreme

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Heres is my 2cents for what its worth.

There is a basic questions that need to be answered.

What do you want to do with the plane?
Are we talking, round the pattern every saturday? Cross country? Breakfast couple airports down the road? Build time?

You are almost without a doubt going to spend much more pairing a plane and an engine together.

Getting a plane with a midtime before TBO engine will be the most economical thing to do. With all these talks of mods - you have to keep in mind your budget and your flying "goals".

Now your profile says your in S. America, so if its not a US registered plane I have no idea about the regs. But here: getting a certified plane modified means $$$. That is after the cost of the mod too. Were engine removal, buying an STC, modding. You cant just slap on a larger engine. If it isnt manufactor approved, it needs an STC or 337 (which is pretty much out of the question).

From what you said of the budget, looks like you need a middle of the road older plane, mid time TBO.

Just some things to think about.

Derek Avionics Tech, A&P, FCC