Vallerina

I'm going to try to give up meat....need advice

GO FOR IT!!!

I`ve been a vegetarian for 12 years now, and I`m in perfect and healthy conditions!

I gave up meat, and poultry. I do eat seafood (like Sushi:)

I do drink milk, and eat cheese. I guess we women need calcium, especially if we are thinking on having kids at a certain point in our lives.

I do drink Soy Milk every now and then, but not quite often.

My advise to you: "GO FOR IT!!"
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

I can't see myself eating a Boca burger every night for the rest of my life. There has to be more!

And I hope you don`t[:/], since they are too greasy and you don`t need that.

Why don`t you like tofu? It`s not that bad. You just have to season it loke you season a piece of meat, cook it like a stake or whatever, and eat it. Or scramble it and have scrambled tofu in the morning. Remember to season it.. maybe that`s the problem[:/]

Soy meat is great also, and nowadays you`ll find many veggan produce in the supermarkets.
Vegetarian Info: http://www.vrg.org/
Tofu recipies: http://www.tofu.com/recipes.html
Tofu Info: http://soyfoods.com/soyfoodsdescriptions/tofu.html

Good luck! and eat well!
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

This is a good book.

All of the recipes are vegan but you can alternate with veg dishes - or just use it as a reference for some really good sauces and flavors. Best of all, it gives you a weekly shopping list for a week's worth of menus.

The Peanut Buttery Stir-Fry is my favorite! :)
Also, Diet For A New America is a GREAT source for dietary info.

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

I want to stop eating meat completely. I'm going to let myself have tuna/salmon for awhile, but I'd like to give those up, too, eventually. I already take a multivitamin, but I know that I still have to eat right.

My main concern is when I have my period, my body is weaker and needs protein and iron. Are there cheap, meatless alternatives to giving my body what it needs during that time?

Are there any other tips to starting in the meatless world? Are there good places to buy food? What else has helped?

So just so I get this right -

You are giving up the meat so you can eat the Tuna?:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Holy moly! Wow! Thanks for the ton of great advice! I leave to go get some tea, and I come back to a plethora of information! I'll have to go buy some cookbooks! I am not planning on going vegan any time soon because that would be too much of a lifestyle change right now. I plan on buying just soy milk, though, for when I drink it at home and the organic eggs.

Just curious, why do you want to give up meat?

Short answer: I don't need to eat meat to live, so why should I?

Long answer: I'm almost finished with a book that freeflybella recommended to me, and it changed my thoughts on it. It seems selfish to kill an animal just because you like the way it tastes. Like he said, it used to be a necessary evil. It's no longer necessary, so now it's just evil. I guess picturing a pig never seeing the sun or touching soil and eating him in my Egg McMuffin just seems silly and grotesque. We've all seen images of slaughterhouses, and most of us get grossed out. Another great quote of his: Perhaps we are getting uneasy about our mistreatment of animals because we should be uneasy about it.

It just seems really silly to kill a defenseless animal because you like how it tastes. It seems selfish.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Why don`t you like tofu?

My uncle is vegetarian, and my grandma makes him special tofu dishes sometimes. I've tried it, and I don't like. It tastes funny. Maybe if I pour a bunch of hot sauce on it.... :D

I guess picturing a pig never seeing the sun or touching soil and eating him in my Egg McMuffin just seems silly and grotesque

If you can't handle the total vegetarian thing, consider going out of your way to eat free range meat when you do eat it. I try to avoid mass-produced meat (although there isn't a good source in my part of Houston), but free range meat gives me no real qualms. Except that it's more expensive, but, well, then I'm paying for what I believe in.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

free range meat gives me no real qualms. Except that it's more expensive, but, well, then I'm paying for what I believe in.

Thats one thing that struck me when we were in AZ... The cattle farms are just plain weird... Very unlike what we have up north....
Remster

If you can't handle the total vegetarian thing, consider going out of your way to eat free range meat when you do eat it.

There are quite a few places in the chicago area that have free range meats. I had gone that route for some time after coming off of being vegitarian. It just got too expensive. But it did seem to taste better to me...cleaner flavor..no BS and no Hormones and such. That is something that eventually I want to look at going back to. Just a much heathier meat source.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

That sounds like a good reason... It's something I've thought a lot about too, but haven't made that decision yet... I do eat a lot less meat than I used to though, now that I am married to a vegetarian.

I don't like tofu all that much either, BUT I have had some really good tofu dishes at Thai restaurants - especially Tofu Pad Thai and fresh spring rolls with chunks of tofu in them. I do think it's all about the spices and how it is cooked...

I eat boca burger a lot and Garden Burger brand makes some really good meat substitutes like bbq ribs and meatloaf.

You can read my above post on what I eat, but as a former vegan, and now pretty much still vegetarian, I still think boca burgers and the garden burger are NASTY. Turkey burgers are edible, but maybe you guys just make them differently.

I have had a lot of veggie burgers that taste great from a restaurant, but I have yet to taste any tofu, boca or garden anything that doesn't taste like @ss:P;) Ha!

Ask (petiton) your local Subway to start stocking the Veggie Burger (Garden Burger, VeggieMax) that is available to them. Many owners don't feel it sells well enough to stock it but I (being the only stores in AR that do stock it) sell enough of it to keep it around. I even like it occasionally for a lite snack being the heavy duty meat eatter that I am.;)

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

It just seems really silly to kill a defenseless animal because you like how it tastes. It seems selfish.

Plants are a whole lot more defenseless than animals are.

And they're just as much alive, and could have the same feelings that animals do. And harvesting... sheesh... have you seen a combine?! Those are just cruel.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Plants are a whole lot more defenseless than animals are.

Oh geeze....Where's that eye-rolling icon, Sangiro???

When I see corn crying because it's mother was taken away for someone to eat, then I'll have this argument with you.

Well, if it really is cruel to eat plants, then that is a necessary evil. We cannot live without eating plants. We can live without eating meat...that's why it went from being a necessary evil (when people did need to eat meat) to just being evil.

When I see corn crying because it's mother was taken away for someone to eat, then I'll have this argument with you.

So since you think that you understand the emotions of animals, and don't understand the emotions of plants, it ok to kill one but not the other?

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

So since you think that you understand the emotions of animals, and don't understand the emotions of plants, it ok to kill one but not the other?

I don't pretend to understand the emotions of animals (including humans.) But, they do exist. And, yes, we need to eat plants to live. Hence, if they really are suffering, it is a necessary evil. If it's not necessary, then it is just evil.

I guess every animal that eats other animals is selfish then? Or does that only apply to humans? :S

Animals don't cage up other animals when they eat them. Animals don't have big factories of animals. Some animals are carnivores. We are not.

Fatfree.com also is an all vegetarian/vegan website that has good recipes.

I wasn't recommending eating boca burgers everyday but they are handy little buggers and I always keep some in my fridge. Especially in the summer at cookouts. Field Roast is also pretty good on occasion. They even have a Celebration Roast at Thanksgiving/ Christmas that has stuffing in it.

Here is a recipe for a Sprouted Seed Sauce that is really yummy and so full of nutrients. It's kind of like a hummus. My yoga instructor gave this to me.

1 cup almonds
3/4 pumpkin
1/2 sunflower
1/2 sesame
1/4 flax
split ingredients in to 2 containers & soak in bottled water for 2- 3 days & rinse about every 12 hours thoroughly, may get stinky, that's natural.

after the seeds have started sprouting then you can start adding them to the blender w/ water, Pace hotsacue, 2 cups or more for a big batch!!! if you like it hot! I use med. also add fresh garlic cloves about 2-3 depending on how much you like it! also add all the spices you want now!
I use Spike
Braggs liquid aminos
Ms Dash
Garlic Salt & Ground Pepper!
blend carefully adding enough moisture to blend smooth! NOTE(KEEP A CHOP STICK HANDY TO HELP STIR while blending)

Rhonda

I guess every animal that eats other animals is selfish then? Or does that only apply to humans? :S

Animals don't cage up other animals when they eat them. Animals don't have big factories of animals. Some animals are carnivores. We are not.

So if we went out and killed an animal with our bare hands and ate them that would be ok?