Stacy

Frances

There is no plywood to be found here in Sarasota either. I went out last night to look. Luckily a friend with hurricane shutters has a few sheets he's willing to give me.

My mom's trying to get me to go stay with her and her sister in Sarasota. But you're implying it's expected to hit there too? I guess not as bad as Orlando...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yeah, this sucks. School cancelled classes for today and tomorrow, so now I have an opportunity to leave Fort Lauderdale. Let's check the status of that, shall we? Gas...no problem as long as I can afford mid-range or premium. Food/Water...I'll probably still be standing in lines at the store when the storm finally hits. Fly out of here...yeah, right, all the flights booked up yesterday.

I've pretty much decided to drive to the west coast, but I am surprised at how VERY reluctant I am to leave home. I keep wandering around trying to decide what to pack, what to leave. I keep thinking that I should stay. Then I realize that I don't have food, water, batteries, flashlights, anything really. I just hate to leave home! I know I can't change the course of the storm or its destruction, even if I'm here...but DAMN. I don't have that much stuff anyway, I really hate to lose any of it.

If I argue with anyone else about what I'm doing or where the storm is going or how bad it could potentially be or how much they know about storms and how little I know because I've never been through anything worse than a two...well, the arguments are pissing me off more than the storm and I'm ready to just stay here since everyone's mad at me for not being more decisive about where to go.

Now, seriously...does anyone know if apartment complexes are built to hurricane code? If I leave my apartment, will it still be here when I get back? Besides trying to decide whether to stay or go and what to pack, these things are worrying me the most.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I did and I didn't think it was a smart thing to do even then. In fact, I spent the whole next day (while waiting for the bloody thing to make landfall) proposing evacuation plans.

I got through that one okay, but now I need to get through this one.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

You guys do realize what the safest place in the state of Florida is?

ZHills of course - the bunker has been there for more then 60 years and is not going anywhere.

Camp out in the bunker and forget all your worries - hell you can grill in there. Just remember - move all the beer from Paul's bar in there and you guys are set B|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Now, seriously...does anyone know if apartment complexes are built to hurricane code? If I leave my apartment, will it still be here when I get back? Besides trying to decide whether to stay or go and what to pack, these things are worrying me the most.

It depends on when it was built. The current building codes that withstand higher winds were only put into effect after Hurricane Andrew. Try calling your local building department and asking them if they might be able to look something like that up in their computers.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've pretty much decided to drive to the west coast, but I am surprised at how VERY reluctant I am to leave home. I keep wandering around trying to decide what to pack, what to leave. I keep thinking that I should stay. Then I realize that I don't have food, water, batteries, flashlights, anything really. I just hate to leave home! I know I can't change the course of the storm or its destruction, even if I'm here...but DAMN. I don't have that much stuff anyway, I really hate to lose any of it.

I'm thinking I'll probably flee to the west coast later on today as well. I have food, water, booze, a tent for afterwards and directions to Skydive Southwest Florida which I can hit on the way back if the storm doesn't turn and flatten it.

Stuart/Ft. Pierce is looking at the eye right now
They moved the line a little north at 11am
The projection is 28 miles ENE of me.
Palm Beach County curfew tonight

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Two hurricanes in a month, just before the elections.

Maybe it's a warning from God about butterfly ballots.

Nothing like Applied Physics! :D

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

"Two hurricanes in a month, just before the elections."

Maybe explains his recent reconsideration of our effect on Global Climate change..
But hey, wrong forum.:)

Keep your heads down everybody, I'll be thinking of you.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I grew up in the Carribean and also lived in Guam, Florida and now in North Carolina so I've done this before.

1. This a a BIG storm so if you are in for a direct hit and you can leave, do so. When Hugo hit St Croix not only did it blow the leaves from the trees but it blew the grass out of the ground. I have 2 friends that spent hours laying in their bathtub after the roof and the walls left.
2. If you stay, do the plywood thing but count on in not helping. Find a safe space with few windows and have something to cover yourself with if the roof leaves.
3. fill bathtubs and garbage cans with water for flushing remember if you loose the power the water presure may be okay for a little while and then go out later ... don't drain the tub for a couple of days or until the power returns
4. Fill every container in your house with drinking water from your tap .... the stuff at the store is gone by now!
5. Put as many containers of water as you can in your freezer. After all, without power your fridg/frezer is nothing but a big cooler. Would any sane skydiver put a case a beer in a cooler without ice!

Batteries are the least of your needs. Some things you might need after the storm are cleaning supplies, paper plates to eat from. So you can save water cleaning real ones. A gas grill. Bring it inside during the storm to protect it but DON'T cook inside! And lots and lots of bug spray. There will be a great deal of standing water ( as if there is not enough in Foriday anyway!) and with no power and maybe no screens or roof or walls you have no other way to protect yourself
hey guys, this is scary stuff. Please stay safe.
karen

You guys do realize what the safest place in the state of Florida is?

ZHills of course - the bunker has been there for more then 60 years and is not going anywhere.

You are going to camp out in a building that only has three walls in 145mph+ winds?

I just heard an update that the models have it going more west than north now...just got into the office after being out all morning...will have to look at the NHC website soon.

Last I checked they had it at 65% chance of Cat4/5 winds within the next 12 hours.

This has me wondering - why is it that some people within the strike range are thinking of sitting it out?

Dawned on me that no one has made a "STRIPES" reference to this one yet.

How much of a weather dork am I? I called a meterologist/storm chaser that I know to get his professional opinion on this one. Even he wouldn't want to be in Florida to watch this one happen. He feels it will do more damage than Andrew ever did. He also pointed out that all of Florida is drenched as it is and that with a good enough wind the soft ground will allow trees and poles to easily get pushed over.

Go up on your roof, wait for a big gust and pull your reserve. See where you land ============A true Forida skydiver. Balls to the wall babyB|
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Latest models: It's headed across the state.

Yep. I bailed on my Naples escape plan. No way of telling whether or not it won't strike out that way. I'm a half mile from the beach in Fort Lauderdale so I'll be escaping to a friend's place who lives farther inland and just hole up there.