jkwon

Funny Mistranslations...

Here are some funny mistranslations I heard.

Como se llamas?
Translation: Where are your llamas.

Que hora es?
Translation: Where are the prostitutes.

You guys got any other good "lost in translation" muckups?
--joe
HISPA #69
The Best Band in the WORLD!!!
The new full length album "See What You Can Find"

This isn't a mistranslation rather than my parents language barrier. So to sum up the story first. I play the cello and my dad is a minister and he'd always ask me if I wanted to pRay in church sometime...and when he was giving a service in English he'd always say "Let us pLay".

I always thought it was funny my dad couldn't just switch the L and R and get the correct words.

:)
--joe
HISPA #69

I always thought it was funny my dad couldn't just switch the L and R and get the correct words.

My mother has pronunciation problems, too, even though she's tried for years to pass an "accent reduction" class. (It's a little sad...) Anyway, she told me that she feels crude saying "beach" or "sheet" out loud. She also laughs and blushes still at her own pronunciation of a high-school friend of my brother's..."Doug". When she says it, it sounds a little too much like dog...:D

:$

This isn't a mistranslation rather than my parents language barrier.

When my mum first spoke to my husband she asked him " Mi ujsag?", which in hungarian means What's up? but it sounds exactly as "May we shag? :D:D:D Can you imagine my husband's reaction? :D

Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping

I swear to god I thought the thread title was "funny menstrations..."

I didn't read it correctly either! Instead of "menstrations", I thought it was "masterbations". Yes, I know that makes no sense at all. I didn't want to open the thread because I didn't know what I'd find! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

She also laughs and blushes still at her own pronunciation of a high-school friend of my brother's..."Doug". When she says it, it sounds a little too much like dog...

I had a swedish friend who made a similar mistake. He had just moved to the states and saw a sign that said Krispy Kream Doughnuts. And he said to us " what are Dognuts???"
--joe
HISPA #69

I swear to god I thought the thread title was "funny menstrations..."

I didn't read it correctly either! Instead of "menstrations", I thought it was "masterbations". Yes, I know that makes no sense at all. I didn't want to open the thread because I didn't know what I'd find! :ph34r:

ahhh the old freudian slip. what was on YOUR mind skymama? ;):D

MB 3528, RB 1182

ahhh the old freudian slip. what was on YOUR mind skymama?

I blame Remi. He always brings my mind down into the gutter with his. You gotta watch that guy. Normally I'm always very sweet and innocent. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon