crwmike

Women Drivers

The research done over here suggests that if you include all the minor shit like knocking out a head light on the gate post that doesn't get claimed for - women end up with numerically more accidents than men... it's just those accidents are far far cheaper so even if they were included in statistics they would still only have a limited effect.

OK, how much of that has to do with the fact that most vehicles are engineered by men and for men's bodies? When I was a teen, the running joke was that I would hit stationery objects, but never got into an accident (still haven't and I haven't had a speeding ticket since 1998 although I do speed regularly :P). The problem was that I had a Pinto and I couldn't see the end of the car on the right side the way it was designed. Those damn bucket seats were so low! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That's strange because I just heard people talking about it on the radio yesterday and they said men have more accidents than women.

It's relative. I guess it depends on how you define "more"...

I'm in auto insurance and one topic that always comes up is the fact that male drivers are more expensive to insure on the road. The numbers say that of the accidents that take place in a year, more of them included male drivers.

Is this an indication that males make poorer drivers? No, because the numbers also say that there are simply more men on the road than women. Sure ladies, "You've come a long way" but today, when Johny asks Sady on a date, generally, he's still driving to pick her up. The stacked insurance rates are correct because when the company sees a new young male client come in at the same time as a new young female, it makes the assumption that there is more exposure on the young males policy. He will likely drive more often than she.

The concencus though, is that the difference is becoming more and more negligable as more and more women are driving regularily. Within the next decade, auto insurance rates are predicted to be nearly the same for young male and female drivers.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Actually the only thing that costs is a claim

Oops. :$ You got me there!

knocking out a head light on the gate post that doesn't get claimed for

Since Mike's original post was about being reckless, I just kinda went with that. Actuaries (who are much smarter than me) have published lots of articles, come up with fancy numbers all to show that men are more of a risk. So, that's how I would define being "reckless."
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

"Careless" fits the headlight vs. gate post a little better though don't it?

That's subjective. Anyone's opinion on it doesn't really hold much weight since everyone has their own personal experiences with who they've seen get into fender benders more often. The only thing that can be analyzed is actual data that holds no bias.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

The only thing that can be analyzed is actual data that holds no bias.

uh huh.

And just one post ago you wrote this : "Since Mike's original post was about being reckless, I just kinda went with that. Actuaries (who are much smarter than me) have published lots of articles, come up with fancy numbers all to show that men are more of a risk. So, that's how I would define being "reckless.""

men are more of a risk = reckless ????:o

Although guys are more apt to try to show off. It has been documented, though that women are not as good a spacial referances and depth perception. I have seen PLENTY of female drivers, not showing off, but desperate to "Show Up" a male driver that was doing nothing but driving. It's funny when it happens, her face gets all screwed up and frustrated looking. :P

Society as it is, still DOES favor the guy driving as opposed to the girl. Sot making any political typoe statement, not being shovanistic, not trying to piss anyone off - but that is how it is.

Look at it like this. How many accidents are there in skydiving? How many women are injured or have accidents? Would you agree that the number of accidents accrued by women in skydiving is less than men? Would that hold true with the same logic that if there are more male drivers, there would be more accidents by males?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Men may have more accidents but women cause more accidents - driving in the middle lane, not signalling etc which cause the men to have accidents. So I have been told but as some of the women on this forum would kick my ass I will abviously not agree with it! B|
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Although guys are more apt to try to show off.

Actually, the newest generation of Fast and Furious wannabe street-racers contains quite a few women compared to past years. It's noteable to us in the insurance industry how many of the souped-up cars are actually being drag-raced by young girls in the streets today.

Haha, like the bikini-wearing-hair-flipping-giggling-"do you come with the car"-Car show girls are starting to get behind the wheel and levelling the playing field a bit.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I don't think anyone can - that's what I said earlier; there's some research going on over here to try and address the point but it's a way off from what I understand.

The biggest problem is it's of academic interest only as no one actually has a major financial stake in finding out who actually causes claims - just who has claims.

men get charged more because they cost insurance companies more. They only thing that costs insurance companies is an accident.

could that not then fall in line with the previously asserted theory that women have more accidents but men have more expensive accidents? after all, it's all about $$ risk.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I have to admit that I am an extremely cautious driver but I do have problems with the whole spatial thing especially when someone else is driving. I always think they are going to run into the back of someone when in fact we're still quite a distance away.

I like driving and have driven all over traveling, however, I prefer my partner to drive when we go out.

Let's just see. The last three major fatalities from my little tiny town this year.

Last week a guy in a Camero just had to pass on a two lane Highway. Killed all four men in the oncoming truck.

Last year a guy on that same highway coming in to the Delta took a turn too fast and lost control of the boat he was towing, and took out a Mother of 5.

This winter a guy fell asleep at the wheel and went head on into a Semi.

Thats the stats for the tiny town of Byron over a years span.

Every mother, you know what that tailgates me and passes me on that same two lane highway just to get ONE CAR LENGTH AHEAD seems to be male. I'm just trying to get my daughter to day care. With the exception of the occasional soccor mom who forgot her Prozac that morning!

Sore subject. Maybe I just live in a "Dukes of Hazard" kind of town. Maybe I have more miles under my belt than the average female, but I think men are more life threatening behind the wheel of a car. And yeah, chix are more likely to cause a fender bender in the Starbucks parking lot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Are women more careless in driving than men?

To answer your question....NO!!!!!

I know, Val. Just wanted to see how it was perceived by others. Folkways (and particularly Mores) tend to hang around generations after their validity (questioable in this case) expires.

I grew up in farm country. Damn near every kid I knew was driving cars, trucks, tractors from age 6 or so (think Dukes of Hazzard :). Never saw gender as a factor except I found women with a deft touch on a fast car to be pretty hot ;) Now, show me a chick that can lean through some tight curves with smooth acceleration on a muscle bike ...baby!!!

So, I can kinda understand men perpetuating this (it's a dick thing) but a fair number of women seem to believe it. Weird, huh?

Michael

I have had two female drivers back into me. They were on their cell phones.

Two months ago, same for me. 30-something mom, Excursion, two kids in back, tinted windows, cell phone. And from what I could tell when we got out to chat...smoking (reaked).

SUV women, especially in parking lots, are pretty scary too. No idea how to execute a turn.

Canyoneroooooo... Ya canyonero, YA!

But forget men/women for a sec., the big prize has got to be teenagers. Ever drive within a two-block radius of a high school at gettin'out time? Like driving in central america. Girlies on cellies, boys on testosterone. Nobody lookin', everybody floorin.

Oh and one more thing:

I am quite sure I am the ONLY owner of a turn signal in all of Southern California. I should post of a picture of it sometime. It's a nice convenient little handle on the left side of the steering wheel.