Sangi

Spectra, Vectran or HMA?

Hey there,

So I'm looking into the Safire2 canopy and the manufacturer offers these choices of lines:

550 or 725 Spectra
500 or 750 Vectran
350 HMA

Now I've done some searching and reading about each of these lines, however I'm STILL not sure which one would suit the Safire2 best..

Spectra seems to make the canopy go out of trim faster, while Vectran wears out quicker (also the potential of snap / brake of the lines doesn't seem like a comforting thought in flight), what about the HMA?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

unless you are going to do a lot of HP landings dont get HMA, they wear out the quickest but you cant see the wear so all of a sudden, snap! i would say go with the spectra, 500 or 750 is up to you, i would go 750 just b/c there is no need to go smaller at your experience level...mine either and you might as well get strong. thats my .02 FWIW.
IHYD

Vectran 500 = 500 jumps
Vectran 750 = 750 jumps

:D:D:D
seriously ? it depends on the wingloading, on how you fly, on where YOU FLY, LAND AND PACK ETC ETC...

what is the size of the canopy ?

I had my Safire2 139 loaded 1.5 relined at around 600 jumps.

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

my uneducated guess is that more wingloading = more tension , which would maybe lead to more stress on the lines.

The number of lines doesn't change depending on how highly loaded your canopy is. The tension would change with your suspended weight, but not WL.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Vectran 500 = 500 jumps
Vectran 750 = 750 jumps

:D:D:D
seriously ? it depends on the wingloading, on how you fly, on where YOU FLY, LAND AND PACK ETC ETC...

what is the size of the canopy ?

I had my Safire2 139 loaded 1.5 relined at around 600 jumps.

Wingloading would be around 1.2, I fly regularly, no radical HP stuff, I fly and land here - see attachment, I pack in doors all the time...
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

350 pound line is only relevant if you are within reach of medalling at the next world championships of pond swooping. For everyone else, 350 pound lines just wear out too quickly.

550 pound lines also wear out too quickly for the average recreational skydiver and I would never install 550 pound lines on school canopies.

When people ask me to re-line their canopies, we open discussion at 725 pounds.