outlawhottie

jury duty

I really enjoyed serving jury duty a couple of years ago. Then again, it was only a 1 day trial. For me it felt like a civic duty, something that I *had* to do.

Then again, you're in the military...civic duty? Check.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I aggree with AggieDave. I really enjoyed the time I spent on jury duty a couple years ago. With the kind of hours I was working at the time it almost felt like a bit of a vacation, during which I learned a few things about the court system in NYC. It was also a case that seemed obviously guilty upon initial description and obviously innocent by the end.

It was really kind of a comedy show. The asst. DA on the case was a complete moron. After we came to the decision pretty much everyone on the jury agreed that if we were ever to do something to end us up on court we would all want him to be on our case!
Killing threads since 2004.

i got summoned for jury duty today. my first time. i think i can get out of it though. if i can't, does it suck that bad?

Had it yesterday in Houston. Went down there and sat all day and they didn't use me. Read most of a book I started on the way downtown(took parknride bus, because parking sucks in dtw houston) while I was there. Bring something to read.

I actually looked forward to it...
when I had it, work paid me my scheduled work time
one day it was 12 hours....
and I showed up, sat there for a hour, and they sent me home...:D 12 hours pay for that... (they allready had a replacement for me)

THough my advice: don't go into it thinking it suck... cause then it will be most suckiness... self full filling prophecy;)

I got out of jury duty this week by telling them that I have financial hardship. Basically, I am a contractor that is paid hourly, and my contract firm does not pay for jury duty or my lost hours. They asked for written proof, so I presented it, and got off.

Sometimes contracting has it's advantages. ;) Most of the time, it sucks though.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

A few years back I had jury duty. The day I was to report, I came down with a nasty cold. I felt like complete shit. I reported to the courthouse at 8am and spoke to one of the bailiffs about how shitty I felt. I asked him if it was possible to get a postponement. He told me that the best way to handle it, is to report because there was about 170 people in the jury pool and they only needed 7. He told me that the chances were I wouldn't get picked and then wouldn't get called for another 3 years. So I checked in and they gave me my juror card. Much to my dismay, I was "Panel 1, Juror 1". The worst number I could get. Sure enough, I was called first and seated. The case lasted only 45 minutes and then we went to deliberate. Well we had to deliberate for about 7 hours because only one dipwad on the jury could not make up his mind. The rest of us wanted to kill the guy.>:( It turned out to be a hung jury. Even though I did feel like shit all day, I did find the process interesting. My hope when I left was that the dipwad caught my cold. I have to admit, I did try to sneeze in his general direction each chance I had.:ph34r:

I was called once while home on leave. The letter happen to get there while I was home. I decided to call and let them know I wouldn't make because I was stationed in Germany at the time they wanted me. The woman on the phone asked how long I was home and wanted me to come in while I was on leave!!!

What could possibly go wrong?

If you think you're smarter or less prejudiced than the average citizen, then you owe it to yourself and to the justice system to take part! When I did mine I came across some pretty scary fellow jurors who were ready to convict after the first 5 minutes because they didn't like the look of the defendant. It is quite an eye-opener and a surprisingly emotional experience. I'd say, go for it!

I used to be one of those people who regarded jury duty as something to avoid. I changed my mind over the years after seeing the quality of verdicts in high-profile cases, and began to understand the strategic use of jury selection to weed out people who are not likely to fall for a lawyer's skillful line of crap.

One of the most frustrating things I've noticed is when jurors are interviewed following a highly-publicized case. How often have we heard something to the effect of "I wanted to vote 'X', but felt I had to vote 'Y'..."? You are NEVER to allow yourself to be bullied into a verdict with which you don't agree. There's nothing wrong with a hung jury - it's part of the system.

The jury is designed to be a buffer against the extremes of the legislature. If the case in question began with a traffic stop over a seat belt violation, you are well within your rights to acquit on the basis of the fact that, in a free society, it should not be illegal to drive without a seat belt; ergo, the cop had no business stopping the guy in the first place. (Remember those arguments about doing what you want with your own body?) If a law was clearly written to take advantage of public emotions for political purposes, the jury is society's defense against such extremes. Of course, don't let on that you understand this, or you will never get anywhere near the jury box.

I decided years ago that, if I get called, I will pass myself off as an apolitical schnook who doesn't pay attention to current events. They don't need to know that I listen to Rush or watch The O'Reilly Factor. And they don't need to know you skydive - it will "red flag" you as someone who believes in the concept of personal responsibility. If the case involved a civil suit in which someone is trying to pull a fast one by blaming someone else for his own negligence, the attorney will strike you in a heartbeat.

Bring a book and have a nice time. Good luck.

Cheers,
Jon

I would actually like to serve on a jury, but when the find out I used to be an officer, and I know have the force here, they strike me. I don't exactly enjoy wasting most of a day of selection process when the chances are slim and none for me getting selected.

We have had a judge that issued warrants for everyone who didn't show once.

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

Hi Outlaw,
It's kinda like skydiving,"Hours and hours of boredom but without the few brief moment of sheer terror!!" Unless someone tries to blow the place up or something?!! It's not free, you're suppose to get paid $$$ for your time!! (Good Part!) As someone else said, bring along some jello shots and snacks. It's also a good time to catch up on reading all the back issues of your skydiving pubs. Wear your best "Sport Death" T-shirt and hook a pull-up cord to your belt loop to set yourself off from the whuffo's!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out