Girlfalldown

1 year ago this week I started freeflying

That's right. Only one short year ago I had 350 belly jumps and I was bored so I decided to go to the dark side! I remember the first few lonely solo sit jumps I tried. Man I was all over the place! But then there was that first time.. you guys remember this? The first time you exit, get into your solo sit and hold it for a full 4 seconds! Then the next time it's 10! Then that beautiful day comes and I could actually hold a sit for my entire skydive! Then came the 360s! OK great, now I can jump with someone! It was all so exciting to me!

I'm still thrilled with freeflying. I'm not very good and am always learning.

I'm not sure why I'm sharing. I was just sitting here at work thinking about that. It made me smile.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Yeahhh, it's a good feeling.
I have far fewer jumps than you, but I was surrounded during all my training by freeflyers always showing their videos after a load and laughing about it. I remember thinking how EASY it looked, how could it be hard? So I always went about skydiving with an attitude of, "I'll assume I can do it easily until and unless I find out otherwise."

Of course, by now, I have found out that head-down is no piece of cake. I can't really do it, but I've made some un-coached attempts, and this winter I'm gonna settle on someone, somewhere, to take a full week of nothin' but skydiving and freefly coaching. I am so psyched to do that... the most I've ever done is two consecutive days of skydiving, so far.

I remember being asked by someone what I was planning on doing on a particular load, and I had no answer but that I was going to practice my stability and turns on my belly, and tracking and loops and barrel rolls... so this girl, Kim, said, "Why don't you try standing up?" So I asked her how to do it, and she said to go like I'm starting a back loop, and kick my feet downward when vertical. Well, believe it or not, after a second attempt, I actually GOT to stand for a few seconds. I still remember the feeling of accelerating! Of course, I now realize that cart was way out in front of the horse, and so I started working on a sit, which I can now do for as long as I like, including turns using the feet.

It's so cool realizing how much more I'm going to eventually be able to do!

Congratulations on your year of freeflying, GFD! :)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

We can jump together at Chicks Rock if you'll be there!

If you can sit in the tunnel you can certainly do it in the air! I got my ass kicked in that tunnel. I think there's a divot in the glass where my head bashed into it when I was trying to back fly. B|

--------------

Yay....I will definately be at Chicks Rock and I would love to jump with you. I'm going to spend Saturday at the Vegas tunnel perfecting my sitfly so I should be good to go.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

That's cool that you can remember and reflect. I think I only had about 40 or so jumps the first time I went out on a 4 way sitfly. It was more realistically me flailing around, holding it for a second here and there, while 3 of the better freeflyers at my dz flew circles around me. :D Yeah, it's fun to look back and see how far we've come in such a short time.... and then look ahead to see how far we have to go. :)

Hey I remember that!

The velcro on the front of your suit kept coming open, huh?

hehe.. yeah. I think they gave me that jumpsuit on purpose.

Ok I think I'm off a month. It was actually more like 13 months ago that I did my first sitfly. Whoops!

--------------

That's right. Only one short year ago I had 350 belly jumps and I was bored so I decided to go to the dark side!

So, another one moves to the dark side and starts jumping CReW!! Congratul.... Oh, wait... You mean the "other" dark side, Freeflying. You mean the "Other dark side, more 'xtream' than on your belly, but in a conformist, hip, modern kind of clickish way". :P Let me know when you get to the REAL darkside... :D
=========Shaun ==========

So, another one moves to the dark side and starts jumping CReW!! Congratul.... Oh, wait... You mean the "other" dark side, Freeflying. You mean the "Other dark side, more 'xtream' than on your belly, but in a conformist, hip, modern kind of clickish way". :P Let me know when you get to the REAL darkside... :D

Hey CReW is my next step. Don't worry. I already got my hawaiian shirt and everything! I've been playing around with it on my canopy but I'm trying to get the big guys at my dz to take me up on a nice big 7 cell and show me the ropes. Get it? Ropes? hehe.. I crack myself up! Anywhoo, I do have a major interest in it. Just you wait!

--------------