kallend

Mulholland Drive

I always recommend to people to watch it more than once and preferably more than that...I finally figured it all out after the third time watching it...I also noticed a lot of details that I had neglected to notice the first two viewings...

Think Pandora's Box...:ph34r:...

~R+R:)...There is a reality and a fictional tale...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Yeah dude, that one's a classic. I'm not sure I could hang with you when it comes to theorizing about it, you're a smart mo-fo, but you can take solace in the fact that you're not the only one who thought it was whack. ;)

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

i understood it just fine.... this is th emovie where the cops try to figure out why they found a chick splatedinto the ground and come to relise it is because she was pushed out of a plane.... it's been a few years (likemaybe 4 or 5) i think since i've seen it......... can't rmeber al of it right now....

I watched Mulholland Drive tonight.

Anyone seen that movie?

Care to tell me what it is all about?

Talk about wierd!

Hated it. Stupid, confusing, meaningless. I was upset that I had wasted my time. Incredibly, good things had been said about it -- or so I think I had heard. I can't imagine liking that movie. Boring, slow, confusing, slow, dull, and did I mention incredibly slow?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You -did- look at who directed it right?

David Lynch, while a genius, isn't always the easiest of directors to follow.

I have trouble reconciling using the term "genius" to describe a man whose films are typically inscrutable, dense, impenetrable, and probably only truly make "sense" to their creator.

No, "genius" is a term that should be reserved for people who can actually get their meaning across to their audience. Is a teacher a good teacher if he knows his subject like no one else does, but constantly confuses his class and does not get them to understand the lessons?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

i understood it just fine.... this is th emovie where the cops try to figure out why they found a chick splatedinto the ground and come to relise it is because she was pushed out of a plane.... it's been a few years (likemaybe 4 or 5) i think since i've seen it......... can't rmeber al of it right now....

You're thinking of Mulholland Falls. Not the same movie.:P;)

-
No 'mericans were harmed during the making of this post.

No, "genius" is a term that should be reserved for people who can actually get their meaning across to their audience. Is a teacher a good teacher if he knows his subject like no one else does, but constantly confuses his class and does not get them to understand the lessons?

Art does not need to be understood to be appreciated. A teacher's job is to teach, and if the student doesn't learn, he failed. An artist's is completely different, so you can't compare an artist and a teacher.

David Lynch's films make sense, but they are made on a whole different level than most films, they use a lot of symbolism, double meanings, and abstract ideas to get the point across. Search online for any of movies and you'll find loads of information. They actually make sense.

Just because you can't comprehend an artist's work doesn't make it worthless.
This ad space for sale.

actually, if you knew anything about lynch he's also had his set of movies that made sense on your level, were critically acclaimed, and had oscar nominations ....

blue velvet and the elephant man are two of his best known works.

for those of you who do like him, i'd recommend checking out the "short films of david lynch". it has his first six short films on dvd. very interesting stuff.
This ad space for sale.

Just because you can't comprehend an artist's work doesn't make it worthless.

Thank you!

(Speaker's Corner type rant coming)

Who belittles something or someone because they don't understand it? Is it out of fear? Do these people have to feel they have handle on everything in order to feel safe or smart? Frankly I'm more afraid of people who aren't open to different or new things and alternate ways of looking at the world. After all, if you have such a limited view -what happens when that view doesn't work anymore? Who calls a nobel laureate stupid and denegrates her accomplishments because of an unpopular theory she expresses? Way to support free-thinking. I wouldn't necessarily make David Lynch king of the world but FFS, he's expressing an alternative view of life or art or entertainment.

(end rant)

Personally, never understood or even was able to follow David Lynch - even Twin Peaks. Just heard about the girl-on-girl in Mulholland Drive. :P

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Lynch is an odd duck to be sure. Seems like every one of his movies takes a different kind of aquired taste to appreciate.

It's been a while since I've watched MD. But I remember thinking that the blond gal was comitting suicide and the movie was her personal daydreamy- nightmarish mental recap of her life as she saw it in the moments just prior to ending her life. As though Lynch was guessing what it might be like in the mind of a suicidal gal in the the very throws of heartbreak, depression and denial. To show things as illogically and confused she might be seeing them.

That would explain how disgustingly polly-anna the blond gal was portrayed. It's her revisionist perception of herself. Her way of lying to herself to say "I was so sweet and so naive and I was tricked and taken advantage of".

Another example would be her reaction to how the other gal got the part she auditioning for. In her mind her audition was so amazingly good, that the girl that got the part just had to have some kind of innapropriate connection or angle.

No one is that sweet and no one does that good a job at her first audition, but in the denial of her mind that's how she saw it.

It may be that the entire director plot-line was nothing more than a crazy story she daydreamed up to rationalize why she may not have gotten the part. Her audition was so good, there just had to be some off the wall reason why she didn't get it, right?

Every once in a while Lynch would kinda pull a reverse
flashback going from her fantasy world to the real world. That was when the blond gal looked like a broken down druggie.

She arrived in hollywood a normal girl, and became embroiled with lesbianism, drugs & whatever, and couldn't handle it.

And the the blue box? Maybe that was her personal symbol of death or maybe that's where she kept her heroine. or both. dunno.

Is this what MD was about? Hell if I know. Just my best guess.

One thing I always respected about Lynch, he doesn't hand it to you on a platter. The bastard demands you work for it.

Took me a while, but I loved Fire Walk With me. I still haven't aquired the taste for MD. I've had a copy in the drawer for years... haven't been able to bring myself to watch it more than once or twice. It's very hard to enjoy. Then again, a lot of respected art is.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I like your assessment, and agree with a lot of it. Personally I dig films that make you work for it. Not always, but occasionally I just really want a mindjob. And Lynch does give it to you. Typically I find these films are best watched with friends, and followed by a hearty discussion.

Lynch is pretty out there, but movies like Memento and Donnie Darko make you think as well. On the flip side, I did not care fo Virgin Suicides or Pi. Pi was just jacked up!
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

what a great -- albeit totally confusing movie. Typical David Lynch movie. After my girlfriend and I watched it, we went to websites to better understand what happened -- well needless to say, it meant to be twisted and bizarre. But I really thought it was enthralling.

On another note, -- its the only movie that has made me consider being with another woman. The sex scene between Naomi Watt' character and the other women was so amazing and sensual. Whew!!

I like your assessment, and agree with a lot of it. Personally I dig films that make you work for it. Not always, but occasionally I just really want a mindjob. And Lynch does give it to you. Typically I find these films are best watched with friends, and followed by a hearty discussion.

Lynch is pretty out there, but movies like Memento and Donnie Darko make you think as well. On the flip side, I did not care fo Virgin Suicides or Pi. Pi was just jacked up!

Ah hell. I may be totally off with MD, but I do like stuff that puts you off center. Memento is great fun. Tricky, but accessable. Haven't seen the others mentioned. Jacob's Ladder worked me over pretty good when I saw that the first time.

One thing I really like about Lynch. He seems to work very intuitively, but not arbitrarily. I get this niggling feeling there's always reasons for all his choices, but It's not always apparant what those are. That mystery, at least for me, tends to invite further thought and study.

An old college buddy and I used to jokingly describe strange days or events as being very David Lynch.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I watched the movie a bunch of times & finally understood it. I agree with Zonerat's interpretation.

Except that I believe it makes it clear that the blond girl fell in love with the brunette, and then the brunette dumped her for that film director dude. She went crazy with grief & jealousy.

The brunette woman invites her to the party where the brunette & the film director announce their engagement. This is just too much for the blond girl. overcome with jealousy and rage, she pays someone to kill the brunette. When she receives the signal (what was it, a key, or a blue box or something? i saw it a long time ago) that the job has been done, she is suddenly overtaken with grief (her inner demons come to consume her in the form of that old couple that creep under the door & chase her)...and she runs into the bedroom and shoots herself.

The earlier part of the film is as Zonerat describes: her idealized fantasy about what happened.

PS:(oh yeah, and the sex scenes w/ the two women are HOT!B|)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

An incredible movie. The first time I watched it, it didn't matter that I didn't "get" it...it was thoroughly engrossing. I think it's totally cool that Lynch can pull the emotional strings he wants without the viewer having to understand the story. Laying in bed that night, I couldn't get it out of my mind, so I got up and watched it again. Then again the next afternoon, and a couple times since. It's so difficult to follow because dream/fantasy and "reality" are interlaced, and the timing sequence is completely hosed.

Basically zonerat got it right. A gal moves to Hollywood to become an actress. She falls into the drug use and promiscuity and eventually commits suicide. During her descent, she constructs a fantasy world in which she can blame her problems on other things outside of her own control rather than having to take responsibility for her problems. The gal she has lesbian sex with is a perfect example... the young girl first gets to exercise some control over her, then loses a part to her (due to mafia type influences, not ability), then transfers her desire to act into a fantasy relationship with that women to live her dream by proxy. The scenes in which those two have sex are dream sequence. The scene in which she's masturbating furiously is reality (while having those dreams). The restaurant scenes are pretty cool. Definitely dreams, watch the waitress's nametag. I think the guy talking through his fears is just a male representation of our star, and the bum in the back ally represents the worst parts of her personality. Perhaps the bum killing the guy with fear is symbolic of the entire movie (i.e. her killing herself). The cowboy is just an enigma as far as I can tell. David Lynch always inserts a scene he calls the Duck's Eye, and I think it involves the cowboy in this one. Anyhow, if your curious for other theories, start here.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I watched Blow Up the other night. That's a pretty good flick.

1966)
Legendary director Michelangelo Antonioni scores again with this tense mystery (his first English-speaking film) set in London among the city's hipster crowd. A popular fashion photographer (David Hemmings) inadvertently shoots evidence of a murder. As he processes the negative in order to unravel the mystery, he must also deal with a dangerous woman (Vanessa Redgrave) who knows more than she admits.

That's the official story line, but it's more of an artsy flick than a reall story. It tries to demonstrate the influence of perception on reality and meaning.