davedlg

Worthless Accident Insurance

So, I had to go in and meet with my company's rep for "accident insurance" today. He did his whole spiel where he is telling me that for around $5 a month (my company pays the rest) I can get accident insurance that gives me cash for broken bones, torn ligiments, etc. So I said, sure sounds like a good deal. We get into the "fine print" and I read that it is not valid if I hurt myself "parachuting, mountain climbing, rappeling, SCUBA diving, whitewater rafting / kayaking, etc..." Well, how the hell am I supposed to get hurt?? >:( Trip and fall on my way into the office building?? >:( I politely declined. Now I will be able to afford 1 more jump ticket every 4 months. B|

Hey, don't knock it. ;) I fell down the step (please note: singular, not plural) on the way out of my apartment building this morning, and I about met my maker. Gotta watch yourself. ;):D:D

I'm just kidding . . . I still wouldn't pay for that coverage.

Kelly

David, get the insurance, then when you get hurt, we'll strip you of your gear, and haul your ass to your office and say you fell off a ladder.

When I broke my ankle a few years back, I got paper work from my insurance to fill out. I wrote in that I had tripped over my friends trailer. The doctor had to sign the paper work, and looked at what I had written and laughed. He really didn't care what I told the insurance company, so long as he got paid.

If you are looking for good Accident Insurance, contact Mutal of Omaha. It covers me for any kind of accident, even skydiving and rock climbing.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Well, how the hell am I supposed to get hurt??

Sleeping. I dreamed something had me by the foot and started kicking at it. Woke up screaming with blood on two walls and the vaulted ceiling because I put my foot through a 1/2" particle board shelf and glass candle. Couldn't wear shoes for weeks and it hurt to walk. When we went grocery shopping my fiancee pushed me arround on a kiddie cart.

Bicycling. I learned that something is wrong with my big chain ring and that my bike shifts to the middle ring when the big cog in back is selected when I stood up, it shifted, and I went flying over the handle bars in spite of being on a dry, wide, flat, paved surface. Was blacking out in the back of the car that drove me home. Months later my left thumb doesn't bend as far as the left one and still hurts.

Well, how the hell am I supposed to get hurt??

Sleeping. I dreamed something had me by the foot and started kicking at it. Woke up screaming with blood on two walls and the vaulted ceiling because I put my foot through a 1/2" particle board shelf and glass candle. Couldn't wear shoes for weeks and it hurt to walk. When we went grocery shopping my fiancee pushed me arround on a kiddie cart.

Bicycling. I learned that something is wrong with my big chain ring and that my bike shifts to the middle ring when the big cog in back is selected when I stood up, it shifted, and I went flying over the handle bars in spite of being on a dry, wide, flat, paved surface. Was blacking out in the back of the car that drove me home. Months later my left thumb doesn't bend as far as the left one and still hurts.

And some mild form of dain bramage, shoulda worn your helmet;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Bicycling.

Hmm. Come to think of it, mountain biking wasn't on the list. How do they come up with the exemptions for that kind of insurance? I've known way many more people that got messed up mountain biking then rock climbing or scuba diving.

It's kinda funny that they consider "extreme sports" versus mainstreem sports regardless of risk factors. I didnt see any exclusions for rugby, even though it's about the easiest way I know to get seriouslly fucked up.

I know this has been asked a 1000 times, but I cannot decypher through the rants and BS. What is a good cheap place to get life insurance that covers us?

I found American General and Prudential being listed as skydiver friendly in the many threads on this subject in the General Skydiving forum, YMMV.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I fractured my foot getting out of bed. :$ My foot was numb from being asleep and I was'nt much better. I got up out of bed and since I could'nt feel the floor I thought my foot was flat on it so I tried to get up out of bed. Turns out the foot had the toes curled up and what I thought was flat was actually the tops of the toes/lower arch on the groun. Placing all my weight on the foot to get out of bed turned out to be enough weight to fracture it. Ended up rolling out of bed, fractuing the foot then stumbling head first into the door and just missed a concussion from the door handle.

Stitches from so many cuts I've lost track.. etc. $5 a month is cheap compared to bills from the hospital.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

David, get the insurance, then when you get hurt, we'll strip you of your gear, and haul your ass to your office and say you fell off a ladder.

That's the equivalent of stealing. If you don't pay for the coverage, but you get it anyways, that's like taking a car you didn't pay for. It also makes others insurance go up when you didn't pay for the services you received.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

That's the equivalent of stealing. If you don't pay for the coverage, but you get it anyways, that's like taking a car you didn't pay for. It also makes others insurance go up when you didn't pay for the services you received.

Denying my coverage for kidney stone visit to the ER is STEALING FROM ME!! Don't get me started on how "pure" insurance companies are.

You guys have really done it now....

How does that saying go? Hell hath no fury like an actuary scorned...or something like that. ;)

My insurance agent didn't blink an eye when I told him I was a skydiver. He told me the premium would be a bit more than normal but covers skydiving and piloting an airplane. Fine with me.
---
Some days it's not even worth the effort to chew through the restraints.

Don't get me started on how "pure" insurance companies are.

Using my car analogy, just because you have a shady car salesman, does that give people the right to steal the cars there?

Yes! Just avoid the ones with OnStar!
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Denying my coverage for kidney stone visit to the ER is STEALING FROM ME!! Don't get me started on how "pure" insurance companies are.

Dont get me started on insurance companies. They are vial and a bunch of freaking thieves. Got in a hit and run three months ago and so far I've dished out close to 2.5K (some of that I saved up for my main >:() out of my own pocket, even though I have full coverage. All this because they are 'still investigating the accident." Of course they'll reimburse me but a few month down the line. There's only one thing more evil than insurance companies...IRS.

Don't get me started on how "pure" insurance companies are.

Using my car analogy, just because you have a shady car salesman, does that give people the right to steal the cars there?

Nope, I had that right from the get go. The crooked salesperson just makes it sweeter.

Poor insurance companies.:P

Michael

Vallerina

Tell me this is Troll

Or does Santa Claus visit me every year because I don't lie cheat or steal.

No, it's the equivalant of lying.

Why has it become so popular to equate everything to stealing? Frankly, it's condescending.

No, it's the equivalant of lying.

Why has it become so popular to equate everything to stealing? Frankly, it's condescending.

Getting something you didn't pay for...insurance fraud...whatever you want to call it. It's not just "lying." So, whoever okays it for others to commit insurance fraud, don't complain about your rates.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

steal: to take from another without right or permission. If you lie and get something that belongs to another that is stealing.
Whose rig is this laying on the floor, please put it away? Oh It is Mine ( a lie) so you walk off with it: tell me how that is not stealing.
What is condescending is people that think it is OK to steal just because it does not "seem" to hurt their friends.

Also i know a person who broke her foot and told her insurance she fell off her Uncle's trailer helping him put up a sattellite disk, Her health insurance filed a homeowners claim against her Uncle.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Insurance is regulated by state. But I would assume that as a fire fighter you could get group life insurance that would not rate you. Unfortunately you might lose that coverage if you change jobs. Many life insurance salesman will not be able to answer the skydiving question, because they have not tried to write skydives. Also it would depend on how much coverage and standard or preferred rates. If you decide to check internet sites, I would set up and separate email account, because that email address you use will get lots of spam

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

I'm aware insurance fraud is an illegal activity, I'm capable of getting by without commiting it, and I doubt I ever would.

However, my complaint lies elsewhere.

I'm sick of hyperbolic comparisons of acts in an attempt to sound like an authority on a subject matter, simply because the speaker feels strongly about something.

Filing a false claim to repair your broken foot, carjacking someone at gunpoint, and embezzeling $100M from your company are all illegal, but I think comparisons between them are ridiculous.

If the original comment was "you know that's illegal, and is screwing over all the other policy holders." I most likely wouldn't have said anything.

Sorry if there was any confusion.