Muenkel

Do you believe in miracles and have you ever had one happen to you?

“Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).

so all the stuff jesus supposedly did aren't miracles b/c he turned the water into wine and created the mounds of fish and bread? So what were all the things he did....magic tricks?:S

No, what he did was fiction. not miracles.
This ad space for sale.

I appreciate your concern Jan. Unfortunately, one of the things I am dealing with since my accident is coordination. Many times I am denial about it and I take chances that I shouldn't.

I guess my attempt to 'lighten things up a bit', didn't work very well:(. Sorry.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

My Mother-in-law whom I have great admiration and respect for (also made a tandem skydive with me last year when she was 72 clicky B|) has in recent past had some uncanny dreams. She had one while my wife was pregnant with my 3rd child. Her dream entailed a vision of a baby boy, lying on a bed, very pale, very cold, and looked as if he was dying. She told my wife about her dream as she usually does whether they are good or bad. They’re very close and talk a lot. My wife was infuriated with her seeing as how she was under a lot of stress at the time, near her breaking point, and didn’t want the added worry of negative speculation concerning the wellbeing of her pregnancy. She was in her last year of OB/GYN Residency added to being pregnant, taking care of my other two children on her own, and dealing with a live-in sitter. She didn’t tell me about the dream as I was about to be deployed to Kosovo shortly after 9-11. She gave birth to my youngest son and I had to leave 1 week later. Throughout the first months of my son’s life, he was sick and almost impossible for her to handle given the level of stress she was already under. He continually had projectile vomiting and she couldn’t keep much at all down him. He also seemed to have labored breathing with short breaths and grunts. He was looking very unhealthy, stressed, and pale. She had taken him to see the Pediatrician multiple times and his only guess was that he might have a problem with severe reflux. He was in really bad shape one day so she took him in again insisting that something more was wrong (he was then 2 months old). They finally did an echo on him and saw what was causing the problem. It turned out to be a very rare heart defect called Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return (TAPVR) . It’s not something a physician would normally look for given the symptoms and wouldn’t necessarily do an echo. It’s where the pulmonary veins which normally return oxygenated blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart do not and drain to the right atrium via an abnormal connection. Therefore, at that stage of development, most of the oxygenated blood transfer is being done via a natural small hole in the heart called the foramen ovale. It is how the baby transfers oxygenated blood prior to birth when the baby is not using its lungs. This hole is supposed to naturally seal up. My son’s started to do that and he became critical. The content of blood being transferred was decreased as well as the oxygen content of the blood. He experienced hypoxia as well as acidosis among other things. The surgeon gave him a 50/50 % chance of survival and a 0 % chance without immediate surgery because he was going in under emergent conditions. Meanwhile, I received a communication from the International Red Cross telling me of his condition, that I should return ASAP, and that his “life expectancy was uncertain.” Let me tell you, there were a lot of prayers sent his way from the States as well as a few from my team house. I was in shock. My Mother-in-law was with my wife the whole time and made a very deep, desperate, and sincere prayer for my son’s full recovery. She said that immediately after praying and despite the critical circumstances, she received a very warm and comforting feeling that my son would be fine and would make a full recovery without any negative long term effects. She was confident, focused, comforting, and relaxed from then on. By the way, my son was put on a full heart bypass (ECMO) and had to be shocked on two separate occasions to get his heart beating again. They also had a lot of trouble getting a central line for IV medications. It was hairy. It took me 2 days to get back. I would call at every stop along the way for a progress report. From what I was being told, I honestly didn’t think he was going to make it and that I was going to have to bury my newest son when I returned. Long story – long, he did make a full recovery and the prognosis was that he would not be limited in any way physically or mentally due to the illness. The only way you’d know that anything had ever happened these days is if you look at his scar where they cracked his chest and a few puncture scars from the ECMO leads. He suffered no brain damage. His subsequent physical examinations and echoes have been completely normal. He is a completely normal baby boy now.

You know, I fully believe that our prayers were answered, my Mother-in-law’s being most directly answered, and that it is a miracle that my son is alive and healthy today. He shouldn’t be here given the circumstances. However, it can just as easily be explained as coincidental with a completely scientific solution to the problem. I can’t say that a miracle has ever happened directly to me. Maybe I just can’t see it from my perspective. I’ve had what I consider to be answered prayers, though. For example, I prayed on multiple occasions to not get shot and killed while in Afghanistan performing raids. That worked out. ;) I do believe in miracles, however. This whole experience brought chills up my spine even now thinking about it. You’d have to make up your own mind, though. It’s not something you can prove.

Yes. I am a Miracle. Have had many miracles in my life and many miracles in my families life. I witness many miracles on a regular basis.'

I could post them all but I do not have a need to convince anyone, I believe :)
Doesn't matter if anyone else believes or not. That is the wonderful thing about faith and belief. You don't have to see it feel it or touch it just believe.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

So, what you're saying is...

One that excites admiring awe.

A miracle could be seeing pictures of the 337 (or however big it was) way?!?

Well, I guess I have seen miracles!!! Almost everyday!!!!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I do believe in miracles (but not in the religous context you've based this thread on). But it's debatable as to whether or not any signifigant miracle has happened to myself (not saying that some cool stuff hasn't happened to me, I'm just not so sure it can be classified as a miracle).

To each their own I guess. If you view what happened to you as a miracle (considering the other issues you've found yourself in), then so be it. No harm done and I'm glad your injuries weren't as bad as they could have been. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yes I do and yes, I like to think I have…

Several years ago I was out hiking with some friends. A couple of us were goofing around and fell behind the rest of the group so we decided to take a shortcut to catch up. This involved scaling a cliff/80 degree incline next to a very tall narrow waterfall. It seemed easy enough...there were a lot of large chunky holds and cracks to grab. As we were scrambling over the top edge, I reached for an outcropping to hoist myself up and lucky me, I grabbed a loose rock, and down I went.

I slid down this “incline” about 80 feet, fell away from the wall for about 10 feet and smacked back into the rock face as I neared the longest drop of the waterfall. As I slid, clawed at the cliff and considered how I wanted to land (not on my back or head) my left hand caught this weird little root hanging out of the cliff wall. There wasn’t another root or finger hold anywhere nearby. I just happed to catch it. Miracle? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that it was the only thing holding me up as I was dangling above the roaring waterfall and rocks 100 feet below. My friend Chris saw me fall and said it looked like I was holding on to thin air about a foot below the bottom of the cliff. That little root (or whatever it was) held me long enough to swing several feet over to a ledge where I got a good foothold that let me climb off the cliff and back into the woods.

I walked away having completely skinned my front (we sang Every Breast You Take on the way home), ripped most of my nail beds back, and I had a bruise bigger than my head on my thigh. However, I’m not dead or paralyzed as I very well could have been.

The definiton I am referring to from Dictionary.com:

mir·a·cle ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mr-kl)
n.
An event that appears inexplicable by the laws of nature and so is held to be supernatural in origin or an act of God: “Miracles are spontaneous, they cannot be summoned, but come of themselves” (Katherine Anne Porter).

Kerry winning the election

(could'nt resist it sorry)

Gone fishing

WOW!!! :o
That's ugly! B|
Glad you made it! B|

Thanks...me too! :)
I'm so glad things worked out with your son. What a wonderful story!

I work at a Ronald McDonald House. Many of our families experience miracles everyday. I love hearing their stories, too! They really help me keep my silly little "daily dramas" in perspective. :)

Thanks folks for contributing. I find it fascinating to hear of these experiences. The amazing thing is how personal a miracle is. I guess when you experience one, you know it. Others may be skeptical and perhaps think you're nuts, but they can't convince you otherwise.

Follow up on my "burn:" I had a doctor's appt. today as a follow up on my head injury. I told him exactly what happened with the boiling water. He asked to see my bare feet. He looked at me with a smile and said "Someone up there is looking out for you and I'm not even a religious guy. You should have died when you injured your head and you should at the very least have 2nd degree burns on your leg and foot. You've got 9 lives kid!"

I like these stories, it gives you hope.:)

I have had miracles happen. I should be dead, long story, but I'm not.

Depending upon what actually happened, our near death experiences aren't necessarily miracles. Back in '81 I was involved in a car accident where if the car I was a passenger in was a split second faster, I would have either died or been seriously hurt. But I don't view my survival as a miracle. I think I was more lucky than anything else.

And when I hear stories that "God likes me so he let me survive". Well what about all those other less than fortunate people who didn't survive all the things that go on in this world? Can you honestly (question not necessarily directed at AggieDave) tell me that God wanted things like the Wars to happen, terrorism victims to die, natural disasters, airplane accidents, car accidents, disease, etc, etc, etc to happen?

Nope, its a miracle that I wasn't where I was when the tragedy happened, I was supposed to be there and was on on my way there when I was stopped. 12 people died and many others were injured and I was supposed to be there, people were expecting me there.

To top it off, at the time (apparently) when I was supposed to be leaving to go there, my mother was woken from a deep sleep and was worried about me specifically and started praying for me. She didn't stop praying for me and go back to sleep until after the tragedy happened. I called and woke her up 30 minutes later telling her what had happened since she'd see it on the news and that I was ok, I had happened to not be there even though I was supposed to be.

That in my mind is a miracle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Nope, its a miracle that I wasn't where I was when the tragedy happened, I was supposed to be there and was on on my way there when I was stopped. 12 people died and many others were injured and I was supposed to be there, people were expecting me there.

Okay I know about the incident you speak of and yes I can see certain viewpoints as to why it might be classified as a miracle.

Similar story Dave, you just reminded me of it. My brother was at the spot where the bomb went off in the '96 Olympics. Just minutes before the blast, his friend lured him away to go for a beer. He was about 200 feet away when the blast occured. I think that was a miracle as was yours.

Sept 23 1983 Dave and I were told that he had stage 4 non-Hodgkins lymphoma. Surgery would start on Mon, chemo, radiation to follow. Get your life in order, it doesn't look like you will ever feel this well again. Man, bad words. Less than 9 months ahead.
Well here it is 2004. No surgery, no chemo, no radiation. LOTS of prayers. Still have Dave. AMEN
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Sounds like good old fashioned luck.

Think people sling the word, "miracle" around too loosely nowadays.

How do you know that was luck and not a miracle? I bet if you asked Snowwhite, she would definitely call it a miracle. Not all miracles come in the form of parting the Red Sea.